08-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Axle failing at 4500?

Could it be I have a defective axle?

CV is clicking like mad under load with left turn. You can hear it loud and clear even with the wind noise in this clip.

I have a similar clicking in my F86 at 55k.

That would be rather disappointing at 4500 miles.

2020 40i xDrive, M-Sport trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had a similar sound in another vehicle and what happened was a small pebble got lodged between the rotor and dust shield. It would make an annoying sound only while turning left.

It took them a week to figure it out and only when they removed the dust shield in desperation because they checked everything else.

I hope your problem is something similarly benign, but who knows since there are a lot of other parts failing on these cars barely after leaving the lot. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:36 AM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I had a similar sound in another vehicle and what happened was a small pebble got lodged between the rotor and dust shield. It would make an annoying sound only while turning left.

It took them a week to figure it out and only when they removed the dust shield in desperation because they checked everything else.

I hope your problem is something similarly benign, but who knows since there are a lot of other parts failing on these cars barely after leaving the lot. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post

CV is clicking like mad under load with left turn. You can hear it loud and clear even with the wind noise in this clip.

When you say "under load" are you referring to brake pressure only? If not, this is another reason for the "Ticking" noise. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74009-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #4
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Did you have an expert look at this?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

That doesn't sound like a CV joint at all. CV joints, when they start to fail, will generally only make noise when turning SHARP to the left or right, and generally only from a start (like turning a corner from a stoplight). Lastly, they sound like a "chattering" with no consistent rhythm. They do get worse over time, but this still isn't what any CV joint I've ever encountered sounds like.

This...... has a consistent rhythm..... and appears to get quicker as the vehicle gets quicker. It may have something to do with the wheels being turned a certain direction, but it sounds to me like you almost have something flapping off your tire, or lodged in your brake or something.

I would take the front wheels off.... inspect the tires..... inspect the wheelwells.... and inspect the brakes. Maybe even inspect the CV joints.... perhaps something is wrapped around one of them.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 08-02-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post

When you say "under load" are you referring to brake pressure only? If not, this is another reason for the "Ticking" noise. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74009-9999.pdf
Hey there. Thanks for the bulletin. No brakes applied for noise. By load I mean a torque load, not gliding or braking.

Haven't brought it in yet. Hopefully just the friction ring issue.

Maybe that's the same thing on my x6m. Same ticking sound. Same side of SUV. (FR).

Thanks. !
Appreciate 0