BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #23
M50iX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 2020 X5 M50i

There was another post that claimed the air filters from the X5M flowed better than the 50i ones and where the same size/fit anyone know if they are interchangeable and if they do indeed flow better that the stock one in the M50i?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would wait to see what comes out for the X5M. The air intake looks identical from pictures so it should work for the M50i as well.
      05-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #25
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I would wait to see what comes out for the X5M. The air intake looks identical from pictures so it should work for the M50i as well.
Just to confirm, do we think the S63 intake itself is the same size (or similar) to the N63R/B or the size of the intake filter itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #26
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

And the final verdict is????

WOMP WOMP....

No-go. The K&Ns from the M550i are NOT the same as the ones from the X5M50i. So, we're still waiting. NBD, I'll just return them.

In the meantime..... I removed those silly charcoal filters out of the intakes. The air essentially has to pass through TWO air filters. That's dumb. Removing the charcoal filter (and 50% of the air restriction) has to be equivilent to, or better, than installing a K&N, with the charcoal filter still in.

And.... found this plastic line that EASILY moves around (very flimsy)... and rattled against one of the chassis braces. I wrapped it in foam tape as padding, and zip tied it to the brace so there'd be no rattling.

Did I prevent a future repair and headache? Maybe?

But... piece of mind. I certainly didn't "hurt" anything. One day, maybe it'll pay off.

And.... a little plastic engine detailing.... and closed the hood.

Successful day. Removal of restrictive charcoal filters? That's gotta be at least 30 hp
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #27
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

OMG..... I'm such a dumbass....

What if the K&Ns were designed to replace the CHARCOAL filters..... and the original air filters just come out??

Holy crap.... hang on.... might be tearing it apart again.

EDIT..... OK.... nope.... I'm not a dumbass. It doesn't match the charcoal filters either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #28
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

So we do have the charcoal filters?

Those things are super restrictive and worth like 15 rwhp on the F10 M5s.

Last edited by 130FeetDeep; 05-21-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Excellent find on the hose rubbing issue. I will def. take a look at mine whenever my M50 shows up.

I think you should create a seperate thread alerting everyone with the X5 V8 to check that hose.... It might impact the X5M as well...
      05-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #30
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
So we do have the charcoal filters?

Those things are super restrictive and worth like 15 rwhp on the F10 M5s.
We absolutely do. They are in the top portion of the airboxes.

15 hp? Seriously?

The dyno will tell soon
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #31
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Excellent find on the hose rubbing issue. I will def. take a look at mine whenever my M50 shows up.

I think you should create a seperate thread alerting everyone with the X5 V8 to check that hose.... It might impact the X5M as well...
I don't know for "sure" or anything that it would cause future issues. It just didn't seem right to me to flop around so easily though. I discovered it when I was ratcheting the driver side airbox scews in. I kept hearing this "clanging" sound.

I've never heard anything inside the car or anything.... but it's pretty well insulated in there too. For me.... I figured I wasn't "hurting" anything by making ot more secure, you know?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #32
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
We absolutely do. They are in the top portion of the airboxes.

15 hp? Seriously?

The dyno will tell soon
Are you planning on doing a before vs after with just the charcoal filter removed? That would be AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are you planning on doing a before vs after with just the charcoal filter removed? That would be AWESOME!
No.... nothing like that. But.... the folks that are going to tune my car will provide before and after dyno readings. They have done an M50i before: 530 hp stock, 680 after tune.

While every car is a "little" different.... I expect mine to read almost exactly the same. If it reads a few hp higher before tune..... then I have no other explanation but the removal of the charcoal filters.

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/5-bmw/663-x5/10178-g05-10-2018/11151-xdrive-m50i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #34
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No.... nothing like that. But.... the folks that are going to tune my car will provide before and after dyno readings. They have done an M50i before: 530 hp stock, 680 after tune.

While every car is a "little" different.... I expect mine to read almost exactly the same. If it reads a few hp higher before tune..... then I have no other explanation but the removal of the charcoal filters.

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/...51-xdrive-m50i
Know those numbers are crank and literally no one in the tuning world speaks crank. Second, every single motor is different. Some produce more hp and some produce less. That "little difference" can be substantial sometimes. It would not be a logical conclusion to assume removing the filters specifically caused different numbers than quoted on another car.

The only true way to tell is to dyno the car with the filters and then dyno it again without. That would show you if this actually helps anything. My guess is that it does, but without numbers, it is speculation.

I am excited to hear what you think about you get the tune done. I am frustrated right now because all flash tunes that I have inquired about thus far require a bench flash. RK and DME said the same thing. That means if you take your car to the dealer and they do a DME upgrade, then you need to pull the DME out again and send it to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
The only true way to tell is to dyno the car with the filters and then dyno it again without. That would show you if this actually helps anything. My guess is that it does, but without numbers, it is speculation.
Right. I think everyone understands that. I'm not going to spend $400/hr on the dyno just to determine whether or not a couple of charcoal filters had any improvent... and if so, exactly how much. That's silly

I'll use it as a guide. If my car dynoes at 530 before tune... well, then I'll assume it didn't do much. If it dynoes at 540... I'll estimate that removing them was worth "about" 10hp... give or take.

I agree though.... it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

I did it's first oil change today (did a pictoral writeup in this forum), and I wrote BR Performance a few hours ago to schedule a dynotune appointment. "Hopefully" they can get me in next weekend? Maybe the following. I'll do a writeup once it's tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #36
x5m50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50i

Quote:
And the final verdict is????

WOMP WOMP....

No-go. The K&Ns from the M550i are NOT the same as the ones from the X5M50i. So, we're still waiting. NBD, I'll just return them.

In the meantime..... I removed those silly charcoal filters out of the intakes. The air essentially has to pass through TWO air filters. That's dumb. Removing the charcoal filter (and 50% of the air restriction) has to be equivilent to, or better, than installing a K&N, with the charcoal filter still in.

And.... found this plastic line that EASILY moves around (very flimsy)... and rattled against one of the chassis braces. I wrapped it in foam tape as padding, and zip tied it to the brace so there'd be no rattling.

Did I prevent a future repair and headache? Maybe?

But... piece of mind. I certainly didn't "hurt" anything. One day, maybe it'll pay off.

And.... a little plastic engine detailing.... and closed the hood.

Successful day. Removal of restrictive charcoal filters? That's gotta be at least 30 hp
Thanks for the info. I am having the same rattle. Initially i thought it was something in thr dashboard around the steering column.
Tomorrow i will also remove those charcoal filters . My car is already tuned by G-Power at 670hp & 905nm (crank)
      05-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #37
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5m50i View Post
Thanks for the info. I am having the same rattle. Initially i thought it was something in thr dashboard around the steering column.
Tomorrow i will also remove those charcoal filters . My car is already tuned by G-Power at 670hp & 905nm (crank)
Nice! I cannot wait to feel it after it's been tuned. Just looking at the graphs, the torque curve looks impressive, and very "stock-like" in appearance. I'm expecting an equally smooth power delivery.... but more of it.

Regarding the rattling line. I didn't "hear" anything inside the cabin. I just happened to notice how loose it was when I was removing the airboxes.... so I can't definitively say it was rattling. But.... the "looseness" didn't sit right with me, so I took care of it.... just in case.

Hopefully that IS your problem... and it's a simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #38
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Right. I think everyone understands that. I'm not going to spend $400/hr on the dyno just to determine whether or not a couple of charcoal filters had any improvent... and if so, exactly how much. That's silly

I'll use it as a guide. If my car dynoes at 530 before tune... well, then I'll assume it didn't do much. If it dynoes at 540... I'll estimate that removing them was worth "about" 10hp... give or take.

I agree though.... it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

I did it's first oil change today (did a pictoral writeup in this forum), and I wrote BR Performance a few hours ago to schedule a dynotune appointment. "Hopefully" they can get me in next weekend? Maybe the following. I'll do a writeup once it's tuned.
Good luck! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I am ready to move forward, but not sure I love the options yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #39
M50iX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 2020 X5 M50i

Anyone try yet to see if the filters from the X5M fit the M50i as they are supposedly less restrictive.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #40
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iX5 View Post
Anyone try yet to see if the filters from the X5M fit the M50i as they are supposedly less restrictive.
I have an email into K&N and BMC. K&N has already responded once. I am trying to convince them. Maybe if others email them, it would help?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #41
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

It would appear my 50i (not M50i) does not have a charcoal filter, just regular OEM filter (see attached photo). Perhaps this is different from the M50i. I did a charcoal filter delete on my F80 back in the day and could feel the ever so slight difference.

The question remains, I wonder if the KN filters for the M550 would fit my air boxes if they didn't fit the M50s? Might give it a shot.

This just highlights the pretty vast difference between the N63R and B. The latest iteration of the N63 in the M50 is designed more like the S63 with the air boxes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #42
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
It would appear my 50i (not M50i) does not have a charcoal filter, just regular OEM filter (see attached photo). Perhaps this is different from the M50i. I did a charcoal filter delete on my F80 back in the day and could feel the ever so slight difference.

The question remains, I wonder if the KN filters for the M550 would fit my air boxes if they didn't fit the M50s? Might give it a shot.

This just highlights the pretty vast difference between the N63R and B. The latest iteration of the N63 in the M50 is designed more like the S63 with the air boxes
Interesting. The dimensions look really close to the M550i filters. Might be worth asking Nine to measure to dimension of the angle and thin top to verify?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:32 AM   #43
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. The dimensions look really close to the M550i filters. Might be worth asking Nine to measure to dimension of the angle and thin top to verify?
Sure. I still have them for a couple days. The seller asked me to "hold off returning them just yet. Let me talk to my supplier first"

My hopes are low that they have the correct filter for an M50i..... but I'm waiting to hear back. I can measure these M550 filters if you like.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #44
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure. I still have them for a couple days. The seller asked me to "hold off returning them just yet. Let me talk to my supplier first"

My hopes are low that they have the correct filter for an M50i..... but I'm waiting to hear back. I can measure these M550 filters if you like.
If you wouldn't mind sending measurements my way that'd be great.
Appreciate 0