BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

N63B Tuning for 2021 X5

Does anyone know if any tunes for this platform are out yet? Carbhan said they are still working on it. Now that I've hit 1,200 miles, I'd like the option to do this remotely.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Does anyone know if any tunes for this platform are out yet? Carbhan said they are still working on it. Now that I've hit 1,200 miles, I'd like the option to do this remotely.
I have an email from them stating they do. I will see if I can send you PM with a screen shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Quote:
I have an email from them stating they do. I will see if I can send you PM with a screen shot.
For some reason I am unable to attach a picture via direct message, so here is a screen shot of part of an email chain from October 2020.

They checked my VIN to see if their current tune was applicable to my engine. I explained in the initial email I had the "M"50i. To this day, I am unable to find anything that says the M50i had 2 different version of the N63..."B" or "R". I think the 50i has the "R".

The bottom half their response to my VIN and the top was my reply.....to date, I never received a reply.

Best of luck and let me know what you find out but I would proceed with a lot of questions .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's strange. I was also emailing with Chris and they confirmed that for the 21 N63B there is no tune yet, but confirmed that they are currently testing it on an X7 with the same engine. This was only last week.

From what I understand the N63R and N63B differ between models and years. The N63R was in the earlier, less powerful V8 variants and the N63B is in newer more powerful ones, but there are still difference between certain N63Rs/N63B within each variant. Also, per the email below the R seems to have more torque but less HP than the B.
Attached Images

Last edited by AmooManiak; 01-05-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #5
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's strange. I was also emailing with Chris and they confirmed that for the 21 N63B there is no tune yet, but confirmed that they are currently testing it on an X7 with the same engine. This was only last week.

From what I understand the N63R and N63B differ between models and years. The N63R was in the earlier, less powerful V8 variants and the N63B is in newer more powerful ones, but there are still difference between certain N63Rs/N63B within each variant. Also, per the email below the R seems to have more torque but less HP than the B.
Even his email makes zero sense to me.

I am going to go way out on a limb and say, I am 99% confident, the engine in the 2020 & 2021 US X5 M50i does not have 2 variants. It's only the N63B44T3.

I also located an email exchange between Chris and I when I was looking at a tune for my X3M. I had questions about how they determined the power and torque figures. I asked if they took the engine out when they developed the tune as he said they don't use dynos.

I just realized he never responded to that either.

I am on the same quest as you in looking for a solid tune, outside a piggyback. I know having the perceived protection of a warranty is very appealing. Upon reading their warranty paperwork, I wasn't left too confident. To me it feels like they will deny any initial claim. Then you have to fight with them and at the point BMW knows they are off the hook. Meanwhile, time is your enemy....Paying for a plane beacon to sit at the dealership back lot getting lot rot. All while not even getting a courtesy loaner. All the while, they hope you just give up and replace it on your own.

If I lived within 3 hours or so of their office, I might have a different outlook. Being able to knock on the door changes things.

There are some solid options for people in Europe. BM3 seems to have a good reputation for great performance, customization and customer support....but is the risk worth it? Pay to play.

I know the M50i engine has room to take increased power but the drive train might need to be watch beyond 620+.

I have always wondered why all the top tier variants have 553 ft lb of torque, except Alpina. Makes sense to see what, if any, modifications they make to the drive train.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hmmm, yeah, that's strange. He did mention that it's an issue with the "communication tools", so while the engine and tunes may be the same, it could be a matter of needing to unlock the new ECUs using the tools they have.

I have a BMW dealer 15 minutes away from me who appears to be the only Carbahn dealer in all of Illinois, so this would definitely be the way to go with warranty in mind.

He was also pretty straightforward about warranty work - basically if BMW rejects it, and it should be easy to prove if the tune caused it, then they would cover the cost. I don't think they would ever get into a lengthy argument who needs to cover it, or their partnership would probably be on thin ice by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm, yeah, that's strange. He did mention that it's an issue with the "communication tools", so while the engine and tunes may be the same, it could be a matter of needing to unlock the new ECUs using the tools they have.

I have a BMW dealer 15 minutes away from me who appears to be the only Carbahn dealer in all of Illinois, so this would definitely be the way to go with warranty in mind.

He was also pretty straightforward about warranty work - basically if BMW rejects it, and it should be easy to prove if the tune caused it, then they would cover the cost. I don't think they would ever get into a lengthy argument who needs to cover it, or their partnership would probably be on thin ice by now.
That's awesome if you have a BMW dealer that would install it. If mine did it, would have been done a long time ago.

I have an amazing relationship with my dealership and service team.

Good luck and be sure to post your thoughts on the tune.

Not sure if you have a GPS time device, but I am sure a lot of other owners would love to see a comparison on a 0 to 60, 1/8, 1/4 and 60 to 130.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #8
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
That's awesome if you have a BMW dealer that would install it. If mine did it, would have been done a long time ago.

I have an amazing relationship with my dealership and service team.

Good luck and be sure to post your thoughts on the tune.

Not sure if you have a GPS time device, but I am sure a lot of other owners would love to see a comparison on a 0 to 60, 1/8, 1/4 and 60 to 130.

Cheers
Yes, for sure. Stage 1 is $1250, and they match the warranty for another $1250. So for $2,500, you have more than X5M level power with a warranty that either the dealer, or Carbahn who work directly with the dealer would back up. You know you'll be in good hands. Now, if only they could hurry up with the tune

I do have a dragy, and will definitely do some runs before and after.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #9
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

I'm getting mine done at Carbahn on Thursday. They haven't released yet because they wanted to do on a local car and I'm the winner! I'll let you know how it goes. Will buy the warranty too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #10
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Nice, congrats - let us know how it goes. Would be nice to do a before and after comparison with a dragy or a similar tool just to see what kind of performance gain you get. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeblet View Post
I'm getting mine done at Carbahn on Thursday. They haven't released yet because they wanted to do on a local car and I'm the winner! I'll let you know how it goes. Will buy the warranty too.
Any update on this? Looking for 700+ hp and low 11s @ 120+ mph in the 1/4 with those Carbahn claims
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #12
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any update on this? Looking for 700+ hp and low 11s @ 120+ mph in the 1/4 with those Carbahn claims
They couldn't do it yet because my MY21 is too new. They are got my DME info and are working to get it built and will ping me in the next few weeks. Will let you know of course

He did test drive me in a tuned m850i and holy shit. Same engine as ours, he said it was 698 hp with just tune and charcoal. Charcoal removal was 17hp alone to the wheels they claimed as well.

Stupid fast I'm sold and excited.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The only thing that surprises me is that they even told you they can do it. If you read this thread, they have confirmed multiple times that '21 G05 ECUs are not unlocked yet, so it would not have been news to them. I thought when you responded that they had figured out a way, but reading your response, it sounds like they were not aware.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hi, any news here?

Quote:
They couldn't do it yet because my MY21 is too new. They are got my DME info and are working to get it built and will ping me in the next few weeks. Will let you know of course
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #15
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hi, any news here?

Quote:
No. They haven't reached out yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #16
21x6m
Rep
Drives: BMW x6m

I’m hungry to hear the news. In same boat g05 year 21.

What about manhart performance?out of Germany...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Carbahn Facebook page is advertising 20% off all their tunes - ends March 31st. I hope they have this tune ready by then to take advantage of the offer!

Does anyone know if there are any Carbahn representatives on these forums who can keep us up to date? Seems strange that we have so many vendors, but no one from Carbahn.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #19
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Here
Has anyone been able to get them to provide a dyno? I would do mine now if we can get some dyno numbers from CB.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #20
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Is it correct that a Carbhan tune will not void any factory warranties and no need to hide when taking into BMW for service etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:48 AM   #21
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
Is it correct that a Carbhan tune will not void any factory warranties and no need to hide when taking into BMW for service etc?
I don't care what anyone says..... the answer is No. Any modifications you make to the vehicle, will void the warrantee on any parts/systems impacted by the modification you made. If you get tuned, the warrantee on your engine is gone, however it won't impact the warrantee on your "stereo", because getting tuned doesn't impact the function of the stereo. That's how warrantees work.

I don't care what Carbahn says..... there are literally hundreds of threads over the years from people that were denied warrantee coverage by BMW. Just google it. If you modify your car's ECU by getting tuned, and throw a piston through the hood of your car.... I absolutely 100% guarantee BMW will deny your warrantee.

When you go back to Carbahn and ask them to pay for the repairs.... there's also hundreds of threads online of Carbahn denying claims as well.

I have read about a few "Carbahn friendly" specific dealerships, that will honor the BMW warrantee on a Carbahn tune that they perform. If that is true.... cool.... but get it in writing. I GUARANTEE BMW headquarters will tell you to get bent though.

You've got to pay to play. With any modifications you make, there are risks associated. I've done more modifications than most. I've accepted that, and I've chosen to accept the consequences of what "could" happen, and what it "could" cost me if something catastrophic happens. Believing anything else, is quite frankly.... foolish.

If a warrantee claim is honored on a modified car, consider yourself VERY LUCKY. But don't be so delusional as to think that warrantee "must" be honored.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 03-09-2021 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My local BMW dealership is a Carbhan dealer. They confirmed that any powertrain claim would be handled between either them or Carbahn and that the customer is not liable if within the warranty period.

I'd be weary getting a tune (including Carbahn) anywhere other than the dealership. That's what makes it so attractive over the other tuners - just make sure you do it at the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I don't care what anyone says..... the answer is No. Any modifications you make to the vehicle, will void the warrantee on any parts/systems impacted by the modification you made. If you get tuned, the warrantee on your engine is gone, however it won't impact the warrantee on your "stereo", because getting tuned doesn't impact the function of the stereo. That's how warrantees work.

I don't care what Carbahn says..... there are literally hundreds of threads over the years from people that were denied warrantee coverage by BMW. Just google it. If you modify your car's ECU by getting tuned, and throw a piston through the hood of your car.... I absolutely 100% guarantee BMW will deny your warrantee.

When you go back to Carbahn and ask them to pay for the repairs.... there's also hundreds of threads online of Carbahn denying claims as well.

I have read about a few "Carbahn friendly" specific dealerships, that will honor the BMW warrantee on a Carbahn tune that they perform. If that is true.... cool.... but get it in writing. I GUARANTEE BMW headquarters will tell you to get bent though.

You've got to pay to play. With any modifications you make, there are risks associated. I've done more modifications than most. I've accepted that, and I've chosen to accept the consequences of what "could" happen, and what it "could" cost me if something catastrophic happens. Believing anything else, is quite frankly.... foolish.

If a warrantee claim is honored on a modified car, consider yourself VERY LUCKY. But don't be so delusional as to think that warrantee "must" be honored.
Appreciate 1