BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
MrAH
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Exhaust Valve Useful Info

I have recently done a muffler delete on the X5 40i, but decided to keep the exhaust valve. It seems that my valve could not handle the added pressure with the absence of the muffler and started to rattle. To keep the valve open to stop the rattling, I looked into keeping the valve fully open.

After playing around with it, I believe the easiest way to do it without any apps is to disconnect the actual control cable that is plugged into the valve. This must be done when the valve is open. Now, my dilemma was, I was reading the valve only opens above certain rpm in sport mode. I realized this is true, but the VALVE ALSO REMAINS OPEN BY DEFAULT WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. This was a very useful discovery as now, all you need to do is unplug the black wire while the car is off, without having to fumble with the fuse (203, irrc).

I did drive around for a little while before turning the engine off and locking the car to check the valve, so if your valve is not closed by default, you may need to drive the car for a little bit before turning the engine off to have the valve open.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAH View Post
I have recently done a muffler delete on the X5 40i, but decided to keep the exhaust valve. It seems that my valve could not handle the added pressure with the absence of the muffler and started to rattle. To keep the valve open to stop the rattling, I looked into keeping the valve fully open.

After playing around with it, I believe the easiest way to do it without any apps is to disconnect the actual control cable that is plugged into the valve. This must be done when the valve is open. Now, my dilemma was, I was reading the valve only opens above certain rpm in sport mode. I realized this is true, but the VALVE ALSO REMAINS OPEN BY DEFAULT WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. This was a very useful discovery as now, all you need to do is unplug the black wire while the car is off, without having to fumble with the fuse (203, irrc).

I did drive around for a little while before turning the engine off and locking the car to check the valve, so if your valve is not closed by default, you may need to drive the car for a little bit before turning the engine off to have the valve open.

Hope this helps!
That is useful info. Thanks for posting it.

I'm assuming you did a front muffler delete...is that correct? I had a catted dp installed today (have yet To hear it), and depending on sound, was considering pulling the front muffler as well.

How do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
MrAH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!

I'm assuming you did a front muffler delete...is that correct? I had a catted dp installed today (have yet To hear it), and depending on sound, was considering pulling the front muffler as well.

How do you like it?
The massive muffler on the back is the one I deleted and it sounds very deep. However I think it may be too loud for me. This is the even louder than my X3 M40i that also had a muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!

How do you like it?
The massive muffler on the back is the one I deleted and it sounds very deep. However I think it may be too loud for me. This is the even louder than my X3 M40i that also had a muffler delete.
Ah gotcha. So the valve is upstream of the entire back box. Didn't know that.
Appreciate 1
BBHMM33.00
      03-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
Abhi_b
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 40i G05

Hi so then just removing the fuse 203 when car switched off should leave the exhaust valve open is that true. In G05 flaps are not visible unlike some other cars what would be the best way to find out if they are open when car is off thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
chuckins9
2021 X5 M50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Following this.. Does it also work on the M50?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckins9 View Post
It does not appear so. When I have checked my 2021 X5 M50i, the flaps are in the closed position when the car is off. I have checked this first thing in the morning before the car is driven for the day, as well as after 30 mins of driving around town.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
chuckins9
2021 X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Quote:
It does not appear so. When I have checked my 2021 X5 M50i, the flaps are in the closed position when the car is off. I have checked this first thing in the morning before the car is driven for the day, as well as after 30 mins of driving around town.
What other options do we have? I don't want to weld it open if I ever decide to close it again.

My main reason for wanting this is for both pipes to work. My current 4.0 only uses the left side and removed all the black paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #9
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What other options do we have? I don't want to weld it open if I ever decide to close it again.

My main reason for wanting this is for both pipes to work. My current 4.0 only uses the left side and removed all the black paint.
Others have reported that they stuck someone in the trunk and took the car out for a drive in Sport Plus (which at certain throttle application should open the flap), then had the person pull the fuse.

The other option is to use the ODB-II adapter and app to open the flap, then pull the fuse. There are several threads on this elsewhere in the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
VALVE ALSO REMAINS OPEN BY DEFAULT WHEN THE CAR IS OFF.
Not on M50i. It is closed until 40mph+. You will need two people... One to drive the other to pull the fuse or pull the pin then use mechanic's wire to keep the flap open or wait until there is an exhaust for our vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #11
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hummmmm I tried with my 40i for a few days already but it doesn't look like the flap is open after the car was in sport/plus mode (40mph) for 30 mins, parked, engine off, and locked. I use the long zip tie and sticking in the tailpipe but it got stuck before where I think the flap is located (where the tailpipe bends and where the screws are). Did anyone try?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Sigh. Anyone trying to follow the gibberish in this thread are wasting their time. Ignore this thread, search for older (like the very first one for G05) thread on the exhaust flaps and read those for actual real and useful information. :shakeshead:
      04-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #13
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Sigh. Anyone trying to follow the gibberish in this thread are wasting their time. Ignore this thread, search for older (like the very first one for G05) thread on the exhaust flaps and read those for actual real and useful information. :shakeshead:
why not just provide the link
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
why not just provide the link
Because it's not my job to spend an hour doing so, particularly on ridiculously bad threads. A basic skill in participating in forums is to learn and do searches. Yes, the search facilities here are pretty bad, but they do exist.
      04-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Clapped out 335. N54 goes brrr

+1
Did this on my 2020 G05 and today on my 2021 G06
Fuse is located in the rear behind the right-side panel.
By using BimmerLink you can manually open the flaps with a Bluetooth OBD connector. Once it is open, simply go to the rear and pull the fuse.

If you ever need to have the functionality back, just pop it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_b View Post
Hi so then just removing the fuse 203 when car switched off should leave the exhaust valve open is that true. In G05 flaps are not visible unlike some other cars what would be the best way to find out if they are open when car is off thanks.
Appreciate 1
PLife643.50
      04-23-2021, 05:22 AM   #16
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Fwiw I think this was the thread... happened to have it bookmarked.

Exhaust Flap Mod on 40i https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603977
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #17
M50iX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 2020 X5 M50i

I know this was discussed somewhere before. Please correct if wrong I think on the M50i there are 2 exhaust valves? If yes and you pull fuse 203 after using Bimmerlink to open the valves will it also work?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #18
cpopley
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW x5 40i Msport

Quote:

Hope this helps!
I did experienced the exact same. Except in opposite order.

I opened the valve using Carly then pulled the wire. Did a muffler delete. Found it way to loud and hated the drone, so plugged back the cable for valve. Valve closed but now rattles.

Anyways, I'm putting back the muffler tomorrow. If it wasn't for the in cabin drone I would have probably kept it. Now looking into other ways to increase exhaust tone.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #19
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Just did the valves always open option with bimmerlink on the wife’s m50i. Its not really much louder but they can be reverted to stock with a push of a button on the app. Used ondlink mx+ adapter. This is a pretty snazzy device, you can also turn off active sound design (the fake speaker exhaust sound) also.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #20
MrAH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpopley View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!

I opened the valve using Carly then pulled the wire. Did a muffler delete. Found it way to loud and hated the drone, so plugged back the cable for valve. Valve closed but now rattles.

Anyways, I'm putting back the muffler tomorrow. If it wasn't for the in cabin drone I would have probably kept it. Now looking into other ways to increase exhaust tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpopley View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!

I totally forgot about this thread! But yes, I put my muffler back on shortly after deleting it. It's odd since even now I can confirm my valves are open when the car is off, and immediately when I turn it on it closes. I guess that isn't the case for some reason with others... but I would look into after market valves exhausts if u r still looking for more sound
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:31 AM   #21
davidcher17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive40i

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hey man! Are you sure this is the case? I know it's been some time since you posted this but trying to do the same thing (without using the apps/OBD). If I shut off the car the valve should open itself?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #22
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcher17 View Post
Hey man! Are you sure this is the case? I know it's been some time since you posted this but trying to do the same thing (without using the apps/OBD). If I shut off the car the valve should open itself?
You can just stick a telescopic mirror in there and check. Also, if you don't want any silent codes set, you can buy one of these for each valve versus pulling fuses.

Exhaust Flap Dummy Plug - BMW P/N 18302411427

I'm fairly certain they are all the same plug.
Appreciate 0