02-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The key to CrossFit is to know your limits and lift well within them. I don't push myself beyond my limits, even when it means finishing dead last. The people who get hurt are those who come in and try to keep up with competitors. There was a father and son team who both ended up injured this past weekend because they were trying to prove something to each other (clearly some issues there).

I've never RXed a workout and I've been going four-five days a week for four months. That's another thing - the RX weights are geared toward competitors, not the average Joes. If you go in and try to RX right off the bat, you WILL get hurt.

Low weight, slow and steady.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #24
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The key to CrossFit is to know your limits and lift well within them. I don't push myself beyond my limits, even when it means finishing dead last. The people who get hurt are those who come in and try to keep up with competitors. There was a father and son team who both ended up injured this past weekend because they were trying to prove something to each other (clearly some issues there).

I've never RXed a workout and I've been going four-five days a week for four months. That's another thing - the RX weights are geared toward competitors, not the average Joes. If you go in and try to RX right off the bat, you WILL get hurt.

Low weight, slow and steady.
This has been my philosophy as well. I've even seen people cheat (improper form, exaggerating their rep totals, etc.) their way to completing the WOD. I have no problem being last on a workout. I'm strictly there for a good workout and would like to go home injury free. I'm not there to train for the Olympics or a pro sport. Some take the cross fit thing too serious IMO.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #25
Jesse 135i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Crossfit

I am a crossfitter Have been for 8 plus years. Did not jump on bandwagon like tons and tons of people.

I personally hate and love crossfit!!
So many pros and cons to list out.

In general, I love working out and have tried every work out from football work outs, MMA training, bodybuilding, strength training, OLY lifts, etc. etc. In short, I respect everybody that keeps fit and eats healthy whatever that maybe.

About crossfit and people getting hurt. You can get hurt with any type of weight training. Hell just running all the time can break down knees.
If you go into a weight room with a purpose you can get hurt.

The reason I feel Cross fit "hurts" people all comes down to COACHING. Crossfits methods and programming are so so new.

One example I knew a gym that programming was you must finish every work out. One girl I knew going there was on a work out for 1 hour and 20 plus mins before she finished. Stupid coaching!!

Another example Young guy I know got crossfit certification, opened gym and started programming and training in less that a year. He could barely do all crossfit movements and now he was teaching others how to do complex movements Bad Coach!!

Some bad coaches programming have people just do 1000 snatches, 1000 cleans, as fast as you can. Why! A 36 year old soccer mom who never played high school or any sports at all cant do that!!! Not with correct form.
Not with complex clean and snatch movement.

So many people hate Crossfit because of stories like these, and dont know correct info so this easy to say "people get hurt" all the time. Its bad for you!! When it really comes down to the gyms coaches hurting people.

Of course, a hand full of bad apples, can mess up the whole bunch!!
And hurt alot of people too ha ha ha
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #26
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I'm not a big crossfit fan either, but if it's something you enjoy, go ahead. Just know there are other options to generating lean muscle. But definitely feed your body better, and you don't have to go in some insane diet to get results.

Rule in life: K.I.S.S. - Keep it Simple Stupid.

If it says diet, get away from it. If it says nutritional plan or something to do with making better food choices, that's better. Just don't sit here and depend on Crossfit alone to get you the results of you always wanted.

Valuing food more than exercise will always get you there, you just have to let it. You just have to stop cheating. lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #27
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Crossfit is my own personal version of hell and I want nothing to do with it. That said, I think for the right personality in the right box it is possible for it to be a good thing and for the person not to turn in to a total douche. Rare, but possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #28
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Crossfit has a bad reputation and is misunderstood by a lot of the general public thanks to the media. It's a mixture of traditional body building lifts and powerlifts, with a HIIT element as well. Each gym is different and your experience is largely dependent on it. Not everybody enjoys it or finds it to meet their goals, to each their own. Of course injuries will occur due to improper form or simply using your damn body. People get hurt running, people get hurt biking, hell people get hurt on the staircase at work. If you're training hard and not letting your body recover or have a spell of bad luck, things may tear/break/etc.

Personally I have been working out for the past 12 years and used a mixture of lifting programs, running, hockey etc to mix it up. For the past 3 years I have been doing regular lifts 2x a week, crossfit 2-3x a week and mixing in hockey, running or hiking on other days. Find something you can stick to for more than a couple months at a time and enjoy!
Appreciate 0