BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #617
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Next up, hardwoods throughout the main living areas, kitchen and master bedroom and a full kitchen gut and replacement.

That project should start mid-Feb. We have already purchased the new refrigerator and range (GE Cafe).
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #618
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

all projects on hold until March.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #619
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Got the Kayaks off the garage floor for cheap.

Double Kayak CHEAP garage storage solution!!!!

Maybe going to redo the whole back yard this spring. Just did laminate in the whole first floor last fall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #620
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
After:
That's some MCM goodness right there! Nice work!

Atomic Ranch needs to do a write-up on your place.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #621
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

Ha! MY place? Nah. Your place, maybe.

I'm super excited for the next few months - we have the 4 sections of structural beam in the house getting wrapped in cedar, plus the new white oak floors and new kitchen. NOT super excited about living through the reno, however.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #622
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
all projects on hold until March.
Speaking of spring - we're planning on a small platform deck off the back door. You have any thoughts on brands of composite decking?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #623
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ha! MY place? Nah. Your place, maybe.

I'm super excited for the next few months - we have the 4 sections of structural beam in the house getting wrapped in cedar, plus the new white oak floors and new kitchen. NOT super excited about living through the reno, however.
That's going to be amazing! Post up those photos when you get it done. Interior beams I'm guessing?

Our were stained dark brown but the ceiling is lined with T&G cedar so while I cry a little bit on the inside that the builders stained those structural beams dark, the contrast works well.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #624
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
That's going to be amazing! Post up those photos when you get it done. Interior beams I'm guessing?

Our were stained dark brown but the ceiling is lined with T&G cedar so while I cry a little bit on the inside that the builders stained those structural beams dark, the contrast works well.
Yes, interior beams. Unfortunately, our structural beams are 1/2" structural steel sandwiched between pine 2x12s lag bolted through. Not pretty to look at, hence the wrapping.

No tongue and groove on our ceiling, sadly. Just boring old drywall sheets.

Pictures will definitely follow - I need to tear down some crown moulding and demo the drywall that 3 of the 4 beams are currently wrapped with.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #625
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, interior beams. Unfortunately, our structural beams are 1/2" structural steel sandwiched between pine 2x12s lag bolted through. Not pretty to look at, hence the wrapping.

Pictures will definitely follow - I need to tear down some crown moulding and demo the drywall that 3 of the 4 beams are currently wrapped with.
Reminds me of an old joke. Did you hear about the lesbian construction company? They don't use any studs. Everything's tongue-and-groove.
      01-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #626
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

Good luck! Cant wait to see some photos.

I'll post up our bathroom remodel soon. Just putting the finishing touches on now...
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #627
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Good luck! Cant wait to see some photos.

I'll post up our bathroom remodel soon. Just putting the finishing touches on now...
Here's the big beam in the living room, complete with the furring strips still attached. Two walls (and the ceiling) still need to be painted after the crown was pulled down and the drywall repaired. Oh, and the door to the basement is getting replaced with a flat, solid core birch door in the next couple of weeks, too. All the doors and windows need to be re-trimmed with more correct style trim boards. Ugh.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #628
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Here's the big beam in the living room, complete with the furring strips still attached. Two walls (and the ceiling) still need to be painted after the crown was pulled down and the drywall repaired. Oh, and the door to the basement is getting replaced with a flat, solid core birch door in the next couple of weeks, too. All the doors and windows need to be re-trimmed with more correct style trim boards. Ugh.
Love the chair!

Interesting cut out in the door!

Not sure how I feel about the three [filter] hanging on the wall.

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #629
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Ooooo, it's going to look so good! You guys have all the MCM furniture and trimmings. I half way expect to see a shot of Don Draper lounging in your living-room with a glass of Scotch.

You have my chair you lucky SOB! I've been lusting over an Eames recliner for about 30 years. Is it the real deal or a knock-off? I met a woman at a party this past summer who works for a company that designs all of Amazon's interior spaces in Seattle. She can get the real deal Herman Miller version (black leather with walnut, of course) at cost. She offered to hook me up. It's still $4k. I just...can't...do...it... I found a knockoff on amazon that is advertised as full grain Italian leather. $1500. Before I could move on it, it disappeared. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Interesting cut out in the door!
Interested in the story there. Cat door? How do you keep it off that beautiful chair?!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #630
DETRoadster
Rep

We installed a Sputnik style lamp in the dining room. This shows a bit of the T&G ceiling and exposed beams.

Appreciate 3
      01-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #631
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
I found a knockoff on amazon that is advertised as full grain Italian leather. $1500. Before I could move on it, it disappeared. Damn.
$2500 difference - i'd rather buy the real thing... 30 years of lust and then it can be seen as your last chair. Bury yourself in it, haha.

Sputnik light is cool! I just got something similar installed above my tub.

we used a more lengthy bulb though
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #632
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of spring - we're planning on a small platform deck off the back door. You have any thoughts on brands of composite decking?
ah that's one of my projects that i'll be working on. no so much of a decking but just using composite for a flooring when i build my pergola. i'll have to find out which brand of composite as my coworker just did his last year and he knows which composite to stay away from
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #633
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks like you still need to do the door casing and baseboards
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #634
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Starting the last phase (side yard hardscape) so i can finally be done with big projects.. pulling the vinyl fence in that wet mulched dirt was a nightmare.. each post was at least 100lbs..

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 01-03-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #635
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
Finally starting the last phase (side yard hardscape) so i can finally be done with big projects.. pulling the vinyl fence in that wet mulched dirt was a nightmare.. each post was at least 100lbs..

Are you ever really done? I find that by the time I get everything done I want, its time to go back to the start again.........or just move.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #636
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

never done but you know what i mean.. at least it will be done as it was initially envisioned to satisfy that OCD.. what happens after that is all up in the air.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #637
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep

I did a gut and Reno of a fair amount of this old house in the last 8 years. I posted the yard and laundry room a number of pages back, but I figured I would post the basement and mud room I did about 2 years ago, and kitchen and main bath I did a few years before that.

When we purchased the house we knew it needed a lot of work, but it’s the best we could afford in the neighbourhood we wanted. It was an almost all original 1967 house, with a condemned deck amongst many other problems.

The decks we did within 4 months due to safety and having a little one.

The next was kitchen and main bath. I don’t have a before picks of the main bath but imagine 1967, with an 80’s update using 24x12x3/4” dark green floor tiles on the floor.......but also the tub walls. When we pulled all that tile, and the kitchen slate floor that was installed sometime in the late 90’s, none of the doors on the upper floor would close anymore. Lol. No biggie as I replaced all the doors anyways, but funny.

Anyway....pics

Kitchen before. The cabinets are original built in place, but painted.

Gutted it. Moved the door to the deck to where the sink was.

Kid helping during cleanup

Cabinets going in. I had a buddy who does this for a living, hang them for me.

Before and after. Still needed to paint the French door. The cabinets are alder doors with maple boxes. Drawers are the same maple. Counters are quartz.

Appreciate 6
RickFLM410880.50
wrickem2101.00
DETRoadster11446.00
Ickdeep5706.00
      01-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #638
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep

The basement and mud room was originally unfinished, but sometime in the 70’s I believe, an owner lined the walls with cedar siding. The ceiling was commercial ceiling tile drop ceiling, and the floor a mix of vinyl and carpet.
The mud room had a storage bench that took up most of the room so I pulled that right after we moved in so we could hang a wet jacket up at least.

Basement when we bought it

Gutted it and the small mud room. Re insulated. Replaced all wiring, installed pot lights, framed out fireplace, built a mud room bench, wired up the tv/HDMI in the wall .etc.

We spend most our downtime here now.

In use.

Last edited by ToddBlack88; 01-03-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 4
wrickem2101.00
Ickdeep5706.00