02-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #67
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Because that’s how wireless CarPlay works. Turn off WiFi on your phone and you can’t even do CarPlay. CarPlay establishes a connection with Bluetooth and then sends data over WiFi including audio. You must still have WiFi going somehow. Did you explicitly turn it off? I had it turned off the other day and was cursing CarPlay until I realized I had forgotten to turn it back on. Once I did, it immediately connected.

I don’t believe CarPlay will support anything higher than 48kHz, 24-bit audio so any files higher than that end up getting downsampled and/or dithered.
ah okay. No, my wifi is typically always on and I havent seen if carplay will work without it being connected. i have to assume its wifi since the volume controls on my phone do nothing, unlike blutooth. I'll definitely try it today though.

do you get a wifi icon in your car or does it just say 5gE?

also, i have an iphone X and putting it on the charging pad just doesnt really charge it, makes it unbarably hot and slows down carplay. So I'd prefer just to charge it with the usb-c cable in between the armrests. I've been told that the usb-a port by the cupholders and the usb-c port by the armrests are the two 'media' usb ports in the car. if i used the usb-c armrest port and disabled wifi, would it then be 'wired' carplay? does it sound any different? in my f15, i always connected my phone via usb to the car and it definitely sounded better than over bt.

i'm gonna test that out today to see what happens
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #68
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

thereef510 that's an interesting concept going with the wired CarPlay. Let me know what you get. As maczrool mentioned, the initial contact is via BT, then once the car and phone sync up on CarPlay, the actual CarPlay functionality is done via WIFI. You'll still see the LTE or whatever cell connection. If you go to BT in the iPhone settings, itll show BMW DIRECT.

Random question, and I am not sure if it has any impact, but do you have WiFi Assist enabled under your cellular settings on the phone? I know that's one feature I shut right off since it kills my phone battery.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #69
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
ah okay. No, my wifi is typically always on and I havent seen if carplay will work without it being connected. i have to assume its wifi since the volume controls on my phone do nothing, unlike blutooth. I'll definitely try it today though.

do you get a wifi icon in your car or does it just say 5gE?

also, i have an iphone X and putting it on the charging pad just doesnt really charge it, makes it unbarably hot and slows down carplay. So I'd prefer just to charge it with the usb-c cable in between the armrests. I've been told that the usb-a port by the cupholders and the usb-c port by the armrests are the two 'media' usb ports in the car. if i used the usb-c armrest port and disabled wifi, would it then be 'wired' carplay? does it sound any different? in my f15, i always connected my phone via usb to the car and it definitely sounded better than over bt.

i'm gonna test that out today to see what happens
Not sure what the car says as far as WiFi or LTE since I’m usually on CarPlay. Will have to take a look. On an iPhone X as well and the charge pad is worthless on mine too. I have WiFi assist turned on as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #70
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy
Random question, and I am not sure if it has any impact, but do you have WiFi Assist enabled under your cellular settings on the phone? I know that's one feature I shut right off since it kills my phone battery.
I don't see "wifi-assist" anywhere. especially not in settings/cellular. what version iOS are you running? I'm on 13.3.1
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #71
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't see "wifi-assist" anywhere. especially not in settings/cellular. what version iOS are you running? I'm on 13.3.1
It’s called “WiFi Calling” under Settings, Cellular on 13.3.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #72
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s called “WiFi Calling” under Settings, Cellular on 13.3.1.
okay then yes, i have that enabled. I finally fixed all the wifi issues at my house and have a consistently decent wifi signal throughout the house, unlike the AT&T signal so wifi calling is of a benefit to me. In terms of charging, yeah I have to charge my phone a couple of times throughout the day (because I keep it between 40-80%) but its become second nature at this point.

do you know if there's a shortcut or nfc tag I can use to enable/disable wifi calling while in my car using the shortcut/automations app?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #73
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I used the link below as a starter. I think it works well to get a baseline, then do small tweaks as you see fit.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1480176

maczrool ... do you know if CarPlay and WiFi is the same concept as AirPlay 2? I thought it was supposed to be lossless audio with that option? I test a trial with Tidal over the past 2 weeks, and noticed the audio quality over Master Recordings to be significantly better than Apple Music. I know Apple Music is limited in quality, but was not sure how Tidal sounded better? To me, it isn't really worth it, as Apple Music with the EQ tweaks on HK are sufficient. I have horrible hearing, so my opinion is definitely flawed.
Interesting that the EQ settings for the ends of the bands are negative in that thread. Typically you're wanting to pump up these frequencies becuase thats when a lot of stereos start to taper off. Maybe I'm reading the settings incorrectly. I have my B&W EQ setup in a "smile" or "parabola" pattern, where at 100hz i'm at + 6 or so and 10khz at +6 and taper it down from there. I started there and then tweaked it hear and there when a familiar song would come on that didn't sound quite right.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #74
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Interesting that the EQ settings for the ends of the bands are negative in that thread. Typically you're wanting to pump up these frequencies becuase thats when a lot of stereos start to taper off. Maybe I'm reading the settings incorrectly. I have my B&W EQ setup in a "smile" or "parabola" pattern, where at 100hz i'm at + 6 or so and 10khz at +6 and taper it down from there. I started there and then tweaked it hear and there when a familiar song would come on that didn't sound quite right.
i know this is tangential but could you please take a picture of your B&W settings? I asked in the other thread but noone responded yet
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #75
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to try that out. I needed a starting point, but will try to make my X5 smile! I just wish the tweaking was easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #76
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i know this is tangential but could you please take a picture of your B&W settings? I asked in the other thread but noone responded yet
Here's what I have - Since the speakers are a little more broken in, I'll probably dial some back. I like the bass on tracks with bass to boom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
thereef5101163.00
RVAGuy166.00
      02-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #77
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's what I have - Since the speakers are a little more broken in, I'll probably dial some back. I like the bass on tracks with bass to boom.
thank you! i'll try your settings and report back how I like it. do you have the bass/treble flat? what sound mode are you using (concert 3D, studio, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #78
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thank you! i'll try your settings and report back how I like it. do you have the bass/treble flat? what sound mode are you using (concert 3D, studio, etc)?
Concert 3d, treble +6, bass max
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #79
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Concert 3d, treble +6, bass max
Bass and treble adjust on the main screen with your inputs from the EQ
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #80
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Can anyone explain the speed volume option? I have it in the middle, and have no clue what it does if you go to the right or left? I know it accounts for the vehicle speed, but is dead center the best for speed and volume not interact with each other?

Also, VTENGR thanks for posting...I tried to do the smile on my EQ before taking off this AM. I wasn't sure how happy the EQ should be...this definitely helps.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #81
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone explain the speed volume option? I have it in the middle, and have no clue what it does if you go to the right or left? I know it accounts for the vehicle speed, but is dead center the best for speed and volume not interact with each other?

Also, VTENGR thanks for posting...I tried to do the smile on my EQ before taking off this AM. I wasn't sure how happy the EQ should be...this definitely helps.
You're welcome - so much of the EQ settings is just personal preference and the type of music you listen to. What I did was take 3 tracks that I listen to a lot, so I know how it sounds on my home system (SONOS and Bowers) and try to replicate that in the car. I always pick a bass heavy track, one that's mostly acoustic, and then a pop track. Since I like my bass to boom on bass heavy tracks, I start with that and get it sounding good. Then I go to my acoustic track and listen to that. If the bass is drowning out the acoustics then I dial down the bass and up the high frequencies. It's an iterative process. I do this while sitting in my garage and then I try to take note while the car is moving b/c the acoustics will be different going 50 mph. Often times when I'm standing still things sound good, but while moving there's not enough pop, so I up some frequencies to adjust. The pop track is a balance of bass and vocals, so that's good for fine tuning the center of the EQ, but by this point it's pretty much dialed in with the bass heavy track and the acoustic track - this is for fine tuning - but mainly splitting hairs.

In terms of speed volume adjustment - the slider adjust how drastically the volume will increase when you speed up. If you have it all the way to the right, the volume will increase more than if you have it all the way to the left. The trick is to set it where you can't notice the volume increasing. What I did was set it to 2/3 of the way to the right. After a few days of driving, I was able to notice when it kicked in, and this annoyed me. So I dialed it back a bit. Now I don't notice, so I'm happy.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #82
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have mine turned down (all the way to the left) presumably to reduce the amount of increase that takes place with speed increase. Since it’s speed-based and not sound-based, it’s not especially transparent. They need an option to disable it completely since they don’t want to implement it properly.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #83
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, great settings to listen to ambrosia at a volume level even my grandchildren would complain about.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #84
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have mine turned down (all the way to the left) presumably to reduce the amount of increase that takes place with speed increase. Since it’s speed-based and not sound-based, it’s not especially transparent. They need an option to disable it completely since they don’t want to implement it properly.
I wonder if turning it down all the way to the left does disable it. I think mine is maybe one notch over from middle. I think it can only +3 or -3 but I'm not sure. So i'm at +1.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #85
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if turning it down all the way to the left does disable it. I think mine is maybe one notch over from middle. I think it can only +3 or -3 but I'm not sure. So i'm at +1.
It does not. Hence my complaint.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #86
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Thanks, great settings to listen to ambrosia at a volume level even my grandchildren would complain about.
haha - my 4 year old song de jour is Old Town Road - so we have that cranked up a little past half volume on the way home and he loves it! The beauty of this system is how it maintains it's clarity all the way through the volume levels. It's really remarkable.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #87
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It does not. Hence my complaint.
So all the way to the left and you can still hear the volume adjust around 35-40mph? That's when I typically hear mine kick in. That's impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #88
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Thanks for the info guys. Now wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to save a couple EQ settings? Let's say 3 that are able to be pulled up relatively quickly? I don't know about you guys, but great music with near perfect sound keeps me sane during drives. Gotta let the music flow through your veins!

I'll keep messing around, but this definitely helps getting to that song sweet spot!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00