BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Accident - Rant!

Twenty four hours after picking up car from BMW for a windshield replacement, my wife and I were at a stop light and the Ford F250 behind us moved when the light change but before the traffic had started to move and struck me from behind. He was slow speed but given the size of his truck it damaged my rear bottom lift gate and bumper. As we were exchanging insurance information we realized we were neighbors. He felt bad especially since he saw I still had the temporary tags. On his insurance card I saw he also had a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes G wagon, call me petty but if he had hit me with one of those than maybe we would be "even".

I made it clear to his insurance adjuster NO third party parts this is a brand new X5 and I will not accept it if non-BMW parts on put on the vehicle. The adjuster said they only use OEM (I'm skeptical) besides he said the car is too new that third party parts would not be available yet. I took it BMW body shop and said they same thing and they confirmed the adjuster's statement. Still I told him I will be checking and confirming this before I accept it. If not then they can replace with OEM or compensate me for the lost value.

Also, for those who replace their windshield be sure they calibrate the camera before you leave. Mine did not so it is going back to the dealer on Monday to recalibrate and then to their body shop for the repairs. It looks like the lower lift gate and rear bumper with sensors, etc. will be replaced.

I know accidents happen and everyone if fine but the car is still new with temporary tags could I have had a few months before this happened?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Quick question about the calibration of the camera... are you getting warnings on your idrive screen telling you it’s not calibrated?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Man, sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'm glad you and your wife are okay, but that really is too bad about your car. I'm sure a good body shop can make it as good as new.

I think your neighbor at least owes you a dinner.
      02-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
drilling
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV & BMW X5

Ouch. I am really sorry to hear that. When I bought my CR-V new and dumbass lady made a door ding on my car, I was fuming. I can't imagine how angry you would be. But, in the end, car is a car and glad you and your wife are ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
frogjovi
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espejo View Post
Twenty four hours after picking up car from BMW for a windshield replacement, my wife and I were at a stop light and the Ford F250 behind us moved when the light change but before the traffic had started to move and struck me from behind. He was slow speed but given the size of his truck it damaged my rear bottom lift gate and bumper. As we were exchanging insurance information we realized we were neighbors. He felt bad especially since he saw I still had the temporary tags. On his insurance card I saw he also had a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes G wagon, call me petty but if he had hit me with one of those than maybe we would be "even".

I made it clear to his insurance adjuster NO third party parts this is a brand new X5 and I will not accept it if non-BMW parts on put on the vehicle. The adjuster said they only use OEM (I'm skeptical) besides he said the car is too new that third party parts would not be available yet. I took it BMW body shop and said they same thing and they confirmed the adjuster's statement. Still I told him I will be checking and confirming this before I accept it. If not then they can replace with OEM or compensate me for the lost value.

Also, for those who replace their windshield be sure they calibrate the camera before you leave. Mine did not so it is going back to the dealer on Monday to recalibrate and then to their body shop for the repairs. It looks like the lower lift gate and rear bumper with sensors, etc. will be replaced.

I know accidents happen and everyone if fine but the car is still new with temporary tags could I have had a few months before this happened?
I don't think you need to replace the rear bumper or lid. You only need a good body shop guy. Let me know if you need in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

One thing to note is besides the damage claim you also have a diminished value claim. My brother has a tesla and there was an accident in front of him that spayed his car with debris. There were like 50 small rock chips.
They had to re[paint the car but since it will be listed in the insurance database he got an appraiser to provide the dollar amount that the claim had on his car.
They paid him for that diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
One thing to note is besides the damage claim you also have a diminished value claim. My brother has a tesla and there was an accident in front of him that spayed his car with debris. There were like 50 small rock chips.
They had to re[paint the car but since it will be listed in the insurance database he got an appraiser to provide the dollar amount that the claim had on his car.
This is excellent advice. My E70 had very similar damage to you your G05. When I went to trade it in, the accident showed up on the CarFax and my trade in value was diminished by $1500 to $2000 by my estimate.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excellent idea. Who would you get to perform the appraisal?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
Quick question about the calibration of the camera... are you getting warnings on your idrive screen telling you it’s not calibrated?
Idrive warning "Driving Assistance support reduced". Affected systems was the "Lane departure warning" which I understand is based off the camera behind the upper windshield.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:

God I hope this is Alpine White. If it's Mineral white, they'll never get it to match.
      02-03-2019, 04:33 AM   #12
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Not sure if the states have insurance riders available for diminished value yet or not. In Canada we do not, however I did succeed (after months of tribulation) in receiving an additional $10k (no joke) payout in diminished value for my truck that sustained $35k damage at less than 2 months old (not at fault). Persistence pays... even though I'll likely drive the truck into the ground now since nobody in their right mind would ever buy this truck after being in such a wreck.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #13
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Quote:

God I hope this is Alpine White. If it's Mineral white, they'll never get it to match.
Why would you even say that... just to scare the OP?! :

I had a whole quarter panel repaired on my Mineral White 335 when it was 2 years old and it matched perfectly. You couldn't tell it was a respray under ANY lighting.

OP - don't let him scare you, your car is brand new and a good body shop should be able to fix it as good as new and match it well

There's always got to be one around here
      02-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #14
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I had a whole quarter panel repaired on my Mineral White 335 when it was 2 years old and it matched perfectly. You couldn't tell it was a respray under ANY lighting.

OP - don't let him scare you, your car is brand new and a good body shop should be able to fix it as good as new and match it well

I say that because the mineral white is made up by 3 layers. A base coat, pearl coat and then a tinted clear coat. If all 3 layers aren't exact as the factory paint it won't match. Even the BMW body shop said the chance of getting it all to match was slim to none. They were right. After two paint jobs I sold the car cause none of it matched. I highly doubt yours matches as well as you say. MW is well talked about on the forums for difficulty in matching. It's a very tricky paint. This time I covered everything with paint protection film to reduce the chance of needing a respray. Try the search feature and take a little time to learn before you blast someone as "one of those"
      02-04-2019, 03:26 AM   #15
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I say that because the mineral white is made up by 3 layers. A base coat, pearl coat and then a tinted clear coat. If all 3 layers aren't exact as the factory paint it won't match. Even the BMW body shop said the chance of getting it all to match was slim to none. They were right. After two paint jobs I sold the car cause none of it matched. I highly doubt yours matches as well as you say. MW is well talked about on the forums for difficulty in matching. It's a very tricky paint. This time I covered everything with paint protection film to reduce the chance of needing a respray. Try the search feature and take a little time to learn before you blast someone as "one of those"

Instead of just wishing him well, or walking away, or at least telling him to read about the characteristics of tri-coats and to find a good BMW certified shop, you just wanted to put a scare into the poor guy because of your bad experience.

You've been around here long enough to know the difference between being helpful and being "one of those" posts.

Last edited by wrickem; 02-04-2019 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #16
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

We're good. My car is alpine white. While my initial reaction to skalberti's comments was one of "great now another thing to think about", after a little more thought I realized he was trying to rely his own experience and that in the spirit of trying to help another out just wanted me to be on the lookout when I picked up the car. I will review the car in all kinds of light to make sure paint match is spot on. Thanks.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
skalberti614.00
      02-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We're good. My car is alpine white. While my initial reaction to skalberti's comments was one of "great now another thing to think about", after a little more thought I realized he was trying to rely his own experience and that in the spirit of trying to help another out just wanted me to be on the lookout when I picked up the car. I will review the car in all kinds of light to make sure paint match is spot on. Thanks.
Alpine white is a easy match! You'll be fine if you go to an authorized BMW body shop so they get the right paint code. There's several different alpine whites BMW uses.
      02-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

diminished value claim is extremely tricky and most insurance would just flatly deny the claim unless the damage is big enough. It would be very interesting to know what the insurance does in your case. The damage is not that bad for the insurance to agree for that claim.
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1307.50
      02-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I spoke to the agent this morning and she said no problem after repair ask BMW dealership to write it up, send it in and a check will be sent to you. We shall see if it's that easy. My wife is giving me a hard time about Diminished Value claim reminding me that I have never done it before for any other accident. I remind her that I still have paper tags and it is brand new otherwise I probably won't do it here either.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

I would tend to believe them when they say that since the G05 is new, you will only be getting OEM parts... On the downside, from personal experience, this can add quite a bit more waiting time for the shop to be able to get the needed parts (if there are numerous)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #21
bmwbaltimorem5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M5

Sorry to hear that! Have you tried paintless dent repair to repair this damage? I had a wonderful experience with a local company.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #22
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:

Sorry to hear that!! Hope you are safe!
I know how you would feel, someone put a scratch on rear bumper and door while parking within 2 weeks of taking a delivery of my new X5. Sadly, no note was left and dashcam didn't picked it as there was no impact. I will have to call my insurance and may have to pay for it.
Appreciate 0