BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

BMW denying full refund for CarPlay after making it free

Anyone else having trouble getting a refund for a purchased "lifetime" CarPlay subscription after BMW elected to make it free?

I purchased my 2019 X5 on Dec 21 2018 so when I was coming up for CarPlay renewal on 12/21/19. So - in Oct 2019 (prior to BMW's decision to make it free), I went ahead and pre-paid $318 for a lifetime subscription - which BMW lets you do 3 months prior to expiration, so there is no loss of service - all good. But then BMW decides to make it free - great!

After the "free CarPlay" announcement on 12/4/19, I called BMW (my CarPlay trial had still not yet expired) and they told me I'd get a full refund. I received nothing after waiting the 7-8 weeks BMW said it would take to process the refund. I called BMW today and they're now telling that they can only refund a pro-rated amount of $220. Whaaaaat?

Leaves me to wonder how many others paid for the service and are unaware that the program was made free prior to their trial expiring - never to receive any $$ back.

Way to turn a positive into a negative BMW. I'm going to challenge the charge via my credit card company. Pain in the ass.

Last edited by lumpydog; 02-05-2020 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typoes
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I had a problem with another company that charged me for something that was advertised and appeared to be free when I set up. Got a nice $100 charge, called their customer service and got every excuse in the book. Tried escalating...nope. I filed a complaint with BBB and miraculously got a change in tone from the company and my $100 back. These scumpanies don't like when stuff gets out on a well established platform and chance their minds mighty quick. Might be worth looking into? I was going to file a complaint against BMW for the empty promises of features that were and are advertised.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      02-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

I just filed a complaint with BBB. And disputed the charges with my Credit Card company. I also reached out to my sales rep (I've purchased multiple BMWs from him and sent him multiple referrals). We'll see if any of it gets anywhere.

This seems super simple.
- I pre-purchased a lifetime CarPlay sub on 10/9/19
- BMW announced the service would be free, effective immediately on 12/4/19
- My CarPlay trial was set to expire on 12/21/19

I called BMW on 12/6/19 and they said they would give me a refund. Never came. I called today and they're telling me they're only going to give me a pro-rated refund of $220. Whaaaat? Simple math. Service was made free before my trial expired - what exactly are you pro-rating?

I escalated up through two levels at BMW before they handed me off to someone that could only file a complaint. This is insanely stupid shit for a company that claims to provide its customers with premium products/services.

If anyone has a phone number that gets me higher in the ecosystem, please share it. I'm not backing off this on principle.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I just filed a complaint with BBB. And disputed the charges with my Credit Card company. I also reached out to my sales rep (I've purchased multiple BMWs from him and sent him multiple referrals). We'll see if any of it gets anywhere.

This seems super simple.
- I pre-purchased a lifetime CarPlay sub on 10/9/19
- BMW announced the service would be free, effective immediately on 12/4/19
- My CarPlay trial was set to expire on 12/21/19

I called BMW on 12/6/19 and they said they would give me a refund. Never came. I called today and they're telling me they're only going to give me a pro-rated refund of $220. Whaaaat? Simple math. Service was made free before my trial expired - what exactly are you pro-rating?

I escalated up through two levels at BMW before they handed me off to someone that could only file a complaint. This is insanely stupid shit for a company that claims to provide its customers with premium products/services.

If anyone has a phone number that gets me higher in the ecosystem, please share it. I'm not backing off this on principle.
is 12/4/19 the date they announced it? or the effective date they made it free for everyone??
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
is 12/4/19 the date they announced it? or the effective date they made it free for everyone??
Yes and Yes: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-carplay-free/
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Update - after spraying a ton of hate BMW's way on this issue, I received a full refund - with no explanation from BMW.

I wonder which tactic worked?
- Posting on social media/tagging BMW
- Posting here and other forums
- Filing with the BBB
- Contacting the Automotive Media's authors/editors that wrote articles about CarPlay being free.
- Reaching out to my dealer
- Disputing the charge with my CC company...

Consumers have a lot more power these days.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      02-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Congratulations.
You have bought a car from them. The minimum you expect is not to be cheated like that.
Appreciate 2
lumpydog690.50
      02-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Update - after spraying a ton of hate BMW's way on this issue, I received a full refund - with no explanation from BMW.

I wonder which tactic worked?
- Posting on social media/tagging BMW
- Posting here and other forums
- Filing with the BBB
- Contacting the Automotive Media's authors/editors that wrote articles about CarPlay being free.
- Reaching out to my dealer
- Disputing the charge with my CC company...

Consumers have a lot more power these days.
I have a healthy vengeful streak, so if I was you, I wouldn't drop it (I am in the middle of something similar with another vendor right now). Refund is one thing and I bet it makes no financial difference to you one way or another. But no apology to you and the rest of the customer base after that behaviour? Unacceptable. I'd stay on it regardless "refund".
      02-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I have a healthy vengeful streak, so if I was you, I wouldn't drop it (I am in the middle of something similar with another vendor right now). Refund is one thing and I bet it makes no financial difference to you one way or another. But no apology to you and the rest of the customer base after that behaviour? Unacceptable. I'd stay on it regardless "refund".

Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
lumpydog690.50
      02-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Never ever buy any lifetime subscription from ANY company
      02-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yup, wasn't about the $$ - I'm a pretty easy going person and don't sweat much in life - but stuff like this - it's just not ok... I'll mash the brakes and give it my full attention until it's made right. I pushed my complaints into a lot of different channels - will be interesting to see what other follow-up takes place.
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
      02-07-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
jeet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I was in the same boat, I had my CarPlay subscription till Feb 29 2020. I called BMW in 1 week of December 2019 that I am want to take the half price offer and extend it to lifetime subscription.

They cancelled my current subscription and then extended it. After a day or two I saw the news and then I contacted them for a refund and advised them that I feel cheated that you did not advise me that this service is not free and still charged me. They agreed for a refund and I did get a refund.

But this tactic was really bad to offer half price promotion to make money when bmw knew they are going to offer it for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

My BBB filing caused BMW Corporate to reach out to me (within a day actually) - we finally connected today. I ran the person through the background of my complaint, pointing out where mistakes were made and then subsequently where the mistakes were compounded further - leaving me pretty unhappy to say the least.

The person I spoke with understood what happened, agreed that it was a mistake on BMW's part, I'd receive a full refund and she apologized (I thanked her for doing so).

Case closed. BMW ultimately did the right thing. A good take away: Don't be afraid to use all channels to voice your case if you are left with no alternative by BMW..
Appreciate 5
LexxM31697.50
araje58.50
X5_CC288.50