BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #23
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Awesome pics. The light distance difference can make a life and death difference when driving country roads and trying to avoid wild animals like bears, moose, and deer. (Yes, I've come across all 3 when we visit family in Alberta, AZ, and TX)

I've got RES on our G30 and laser lighting on our G05, I'd get Laser over the RES every time. iPads can easily supplant the RES while the laser is a safety issue. I guess if you're a complete city slicker and never drive outside city limits I would consider skipping the laser upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Awesome pics. The light distance difference can make a life and death difference when driving country roads and trying to avoid wild animals like bears, moose, and deer. (Yes, I've come across all 3 when we visit family in Alberta, AZ, and TX)

I've got RES on our G30 and laser lighting on our G05, I'd get Laser over the RES every time. iPads can easily supplant the RES while the laser is a safety issue. I guess if you're a complete city slicker and never drive outside city limits I would consider skipping the laser upgrade.
I agree. I've lived all over the country (AZ, CA, NC, TX, MA, PA etc) and there isn't a time where I would not want the laser lights. Yes, even in the city you still have dark areas driving through neighborhoods. I think people underestimate their need for certain things because they have not used them
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
gpitts247.00
clee1982796.00
      03-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #25
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I agree. I've lived all over the country (AZ, CA, NC, TX, MA, PA etc) and there isn't a time where I would not want the laser lights. Yes, even in the city you still have dark areas driving through neighborhoods. I think people underestimate their need for certain things because they have not used them
totally agreed, plus this doesn't take in account that if gov. regulations changes, it can potentially make lights closer to its full capabilities (or if someone can code it before then)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #26
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Ended up being $8 more a month so I ordered them worth the icon daytime lights , was driving around and seen a 2019 without laser lights and the look was bad compared to my 2017
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #27
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I agree & think it is outrageous what BMW did with the new X5 DRL's.
If you refuse to pony up a additional $1000 you are stuck with IMO are
ridiculous looking DRL's that don't look like they belong on a BMW. No other model is doing this, even the new base 3 series has proper LED Icon DRL's. If there is anything besides the kidney grills that denote a Bimmer is's the angel eyes. I honesty don't know what they were thinking other than greed. The Laser's sound nice, except that I am clueless as to why they limited them to over 37mph to work. I should be able to use them at 5mph if I wish. Really reduces their worth.

I saw a new X5 a few days ago without the lasers & could not believe how bad the DRL's looked.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #28
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I agree & think it is outrageous what BMW did with the new X5 DRL's.
If you refuse to pony up a additional $1000 you are stuck with IMO are
ridiculous looking DRL's that don't look like they belong on a BMW. No other model is doing this, even the new base 3 series has proper LED Icon DRL's. If there is anything besides the kidney grills that denote a Bimmer is's the angel eyes. I honesty don't know what they were thinking other than greed. The Laser's sound nice, except that I am clueless as to why they limited them to over 37mph to work. I should be able to use them at 5mph if I wish. Really reduces their worth.

I saw a new X5 a few days ago without the lasers & could not believe how bad the DRL's looked.
BMW like Audi and MB all distinguish their higher end headlights with different DRL's so saying it's awful would need to include the industry, not just BMW. The degree each OEM changes them is different per model but they do distinguish them regardless. I agree the X5's are more dramatic but Laser Lights aren't a huge expensive while buying a luxury vehicle so just get them if it bothers you. If the US DOT approves the fully enabled LL then you should be able to so blame our dumb laws, not BMW or other OEM's for the limited use cases. They are 110% worth the cost even if you use them once per year.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #29
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BMW like Audi and MB all distinguish their higher end headlights with different DRL's so saying it's awful would need to include the industry, not just BMW. The degree each OEM changes them is different per model but they do distinguish them regardless. I agree the X5's are more dramatic but Laser Lights aren't a huge expensive while buying a luxury vehicle so just get them if it bothers you. If the US DOT approves the fully enabled LL then you should be able to so blame our dumb laws, not BMW or other OEM's for the limited use cases. They are 110% worth the cost even if you use them once per year.
Well first, I am not a expert on the DOT lighting regs. But are you saying that they have a restriction on the Lasers only being allowed over 37mph? I would find that hard to believe.
And while Audi & MB certainly have changed their DRL designs & have higher end versions. BMW is known for their classic design. What they did with the X5 is absurd. I would also say the X5 is not a bottom end model to begin with starting at $61k. Bottom line is when a new X5 is coming at you without the laser option it does not look like a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Well first, I am not a expert on the DOT lighting regs. But are you saying that they have a restriction on the Lasers only being allowed over 37mph? I would find that hard to believe.
And while Audi & MB certainly have changed their DRL designs & have higher end versions. BMW is known for their classic design. What they did with the X5 is absurd. I would also say the X5 is not a bottom end model to begin with starting at $61k. Bottom line is when a new X5 is coming at you without the laser option it does not look like a BMW.
Yes and no, even in Europe they don't turn on below 37mph. The reason I can think of is due to there not being a need to see so far at super low speeds based on how much ground you're covering.

Audi essentially invented the modern DRL as we know it today (LED accent) so for the record yes it sucks but get lasers and it's a non-issue. The lights themselves are $5500 a piece which is why they aren't included on a base model which has full LED lights to the tune of $3600 a piece. ~$4k is a big difference (going off the price per light I found via RealOEM + BMW Parts Wholesale) plus it incentivizes people to adopt the better tech if you want to view it in another light
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #31
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
Thanks to Bimmerpost you guys saved me $1,000 towards more useful options like the Melano leather instead, I thought the laser lights were something special as when I went to dealer the salesman said to pass on them as you will not even know you have the option, as my current 2016 x5 with out led lights the salesman said the new adaptive led are amazing and I have never used my high beams in my current x5 yet as I live in the suburbs of nyc and have street lights , I thought the lasers were the main source of light , thanks for clearing this up for me
So the laser lights are ONLY an extra (and mostly unnecessary) supplement to the High Beams led lamps.

This is very misleading advertising. I almost NEVER have on my high beams and even if adaptive was on all the time they would surely never come on in the mostly bright suburbs and cities of New York.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

They really can’t come on in populated areas because the lume is too bright. It is a specialized focused beam for maximum long range vision. This mainly occurs on open interstates at higher speeds where it is a valuable tool. Lighting design has become a major element in a vehicle. Showing off and distinguishing top-tier lighting designs are what all the top tier luxury vehicles are doing. Just look at how far Audi has gone to give a little light tracer show on the back of the new A8 when unlocking. This function is totally meaningless other than to show off in the parking lot and say “I have the top model”. They are making you pay up for the bragging rights.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-12-2019 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
So the laser lights are ONLY an extra (and mostly unnecessary) supplement to the High Beams led lamps.

This is very misleading advertising. I almost NEVER have on my high beams and even if adaptive was on all the time they would surely never come on in the mostly bright suburbs and cities of New York.
Can you give us a link or two pointing to the misleading advertising?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #34
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Able to code them to create the tunnel effect for oncoming traffic and when following other cars? I know I have this on my LED headlights on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #35
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes and no, even in Europe they don't turn on below 37mph. The reason I can think of is due to there not being a need to see so far at super low speeds based on how much ground you're covering.

Audi essentially invented the modern DRL as we know it today (LED accent) so for the record yes it sucks but get lasers and it's a non-issue. The lights themselves are $5500 a piece which is why they aren't included on a base model which has full LED lights to the tune of $3600 a piece. ~$4k is a big difference (going off the price per light I found via RealOEM + BMW Parts Wholesale) plus it incentivizes people to adopt the better tech if you want to view it in another light
I just think the way the Laser option is setup it gives very little opportunity to use them. Maybe coding will be able to eliminate the speed requirement.

I have no problem with the option of the Laser tech. That's the only way advancements are made. If you want it, pay the extra. I just believe it is outrageous to neuter the DRL's on the standard LED to the point that someone can actually say "look that guy has the crappy lights he cheaped out" Again they look terrible - first time I saw them I though they must be malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I just think the way the Laser option is setup it gives very little opportunity to use them. Maybe coding will be able to eliminate the speed requirement.

I have no problem with the option of the Laser tech. That's the only way advancements are made. If you want it, pay the extra. I just believe it is outrageous to neuter the DRL's on the standard LED to the point that someone can actually say "look that guy has the crappy lights he cheaped out" Again they look terrible - first time I saw them I though they must be malfunctioning.
People? you mean if you only drive in the city? I grew up in Arizona, to be specific, Scottsdale and even in that area laser lights would be very useful daily. I don't see a big reason to complain if you get the car cool, but seeing how you haven't mentioned ordering one, the outrage is unfounded. It's literally a $1k option on a $60-100k+ vehicle which is a drop in the bucket. I haven't seen people complain about a $1k standalone option (also offered in some packages which vary by country) like its the end of times. Maybe if you use them it will change your mine
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      04-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #37
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Able to code them to create the tunnel effect for oncoming traffic and when following other cars? I know I have this on my LED headlights on the M4.
Not yet, Laser Lights operate differently than the usual LED ones so coding is, in turn, more challenging. There are a lot more restrictions too due to regulations give the lights output intensity and range meaning we might just have to wait until DOT approves them since no one to date has solved the issue. I hope we get a workaround like the rest of us because where I live it would be beneficial daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #38
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
People? you mean if you only drive in the city? I grew up in Arizona, to be specific, Scottsdale and even in that area laser lights would be very useful daily. I don't see a big reason to complain if you get the car cool, but seeing how you haven't mentioned ordering one, the outrage is unfounded. It's literally a $1k option on a $60-100k+ vehicle which is a drop in the bucket. I haven't seen people complain about a $1k standalone option (also offered in some packages which vary by country) like its the end of times. Maybe if you use them it will change your mine
Well, I am waiting to see the price & color options of the 2020 M50i coming in the fall. That's why I haven't mentioned ordering one.
Yeah I know a grand is not a big deal, just adds to what all the carmakers are doing - death by a thousand cuts. You need to add at least 10K to a X5 to get it well equipped from the base price.
But I still think it's shocking to see the neutered DRL's if you don't get the Lasers. My local dealer has 12 new X5's & none are laser, so plenty will be tooling around not looking like a BMW.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #39
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Can you give us a link or two pointing to the misleading advertising?
Many examples in this thread!

We are paying $1000 for something many of us will NEVER use, know it's being used, nor really care about in the long run.

I'm not sure why high beams need to be assisted by laser technology since halogen high beams are effective and have been effective since the invention of the car.

Having the laser in the low beam makes more sense to me since that is what 100% of drivers use 100% of the time when driving at night.

But to limit the laser tech to high beam assist and speed restrictions with no user control is not what is being said in the ad for Icon adaptive LED with laser lighting technology.

It is no biggie $1,000 for an option on a $80,000 vehicle is no big deal for the buyer or anyone else BUT we have to call it what it is! Free money given to BMW for something you think you will use.

By the way I went thru a few dealerships, Crevier being one, looking at scores floor models 2019 X5 XDRIVE40I and I've not yet found one packaged with Laser.

It is either a really rare option or many initial factory 4.0I vehicles did not ship to the USA marketplace with them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50
      04-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #40
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:

We are paying $1000 for something many of us will NEVER use, know it's being used, nor really care about in the long run.

I'm not sure why high beams need to be assisted by laser technology since halogen high beams are effective and have been effective since the invention of the car.

Having the laser in the low beam makes more sense to me since that is what 100% of drivers use 100% of the time when driving at night.

But to limit the laser tech to high beam assist and speed restrictions with no user control is not what is being said in the ad for Icon adaptive LED with laser lighting technology.

It is no biggie $1,000 for an option on a $80,000 vehicle is no big deal for the buyer or anyone else BUT we have to call it what it is! Free money given to BMW for something you think you will use.
I agree with you & it's true the BMW ad machine does not mention it is a HIGH beam only feature.
Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50
      04-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #41
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

By this presentation of the new BMW Laser lighting, they are serious about show off the technology.

Looks like a really cool Epcot ride.

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

By the way I went thru a few dealerships, Crevier being one, looking at scores floor models 2019 X5 XDRIVE40I and I've not yet found one packaged with Laser.

It is either a really rare option or many initial factory 4.0I vehicles did not ship to the USA marketplace with them.

LOL. We will have to agree to disagree. I think it is more of an instance of people not knowing what the technology is and how it is used.
Appreciate 2
gpitts247.00
      04-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #43
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

Just to clear up any confusion. Here are images of Standard Adaptive LED versus Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight.
I searched and searched and couldn't find any images online showing a direct side-by-side picture!

Even with the lights off the appearance of the X5 with the Laserlight is nicer so you are basically paying $1,000 for looks!

If anything now that I see these two X5 vehicles side by side I think Laserlight (as useless as it will be to 90% of us) is worth the extra dinero .
Attached Images

Last edited by delmarco; 04-12-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
ZHPsedan135.50
      04-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #44
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Looks like the standard lighting DRL'S blew a fuse........
Appreciate 3
ZHPsedan135.50
Cooltones241.00