BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Slimshady
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15) X5 (G06 -on order)

Coding Services in DC Metro Area?

I picked up my G05 today and love the vehicle! BUT I was a little disappointed to learn that I cannot turn off the Auto Start/Stop feature like i did in my F15.

Looking for a reputable coder because I don't have the bandwidth to learn / do it myself. ;-p
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Bimmercode App is your friend. Get one of their explicitly-recommended interfaces for the G-series cars and pay for the app, which goes towards future much simplified coding support.

ASS coding was the first available coding feature and remains reliably available even with BMW software updates (which can temporarily disable Bimmercode coding features until the developer can catch up with testing).
      10-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshady View Post
I picked up my G05 today and love the vehicle! BUT I was a little disappointed to learn that I cannot turn off the Auto Start/Stop feature like i did in my F15.

Looking for a reputable coder because I don't have the bandwidth to learn / do it myself. ;-p
I have the bimmercode app and equipment to connect and I live near Dulles Airport.

if you need help, message me
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      10-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

I have the bimmercode app and equipment to connect and I live near Dulles Airport.

The offer of local help for the OP is awesome! It's always comforting to have experience near by.

I would still, respectfully, encourage the OP to pay for the Bimmercode App as the hard work that Stephan does needs all the encouragement we can muster. Independent quality software development in such a complex environment is otherwise thankless work. Regarding the hardware OBDII interface, it is useful with many other OBD apps in addition to Bimmercode and can be in one's hands as early as tomorrow through the magic of Amazon.
      10-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The offer of local help for the OP is awesome! It's always comforting to have experience near by.

I would still, respectfully, encourage the OP to pay for the Bimmercode App as the hard work that Stephan does needs all the encouragement we can muster. Independent quality software development in such a complex environment is otherwise thankless work. Regarding the hardware OBDII interface, it is useful with many other OBD apps in addition to Bimmercode and can be in one's hands as early as tomorrow through the magic of Amazon.
there is also a guy on here that can remote coding. I've been very tempted to ask him to turn on the no dazzle headlights.

somethings like dazzle, can only be done with guys like him. Bimmer App only does certain functions.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there is also a guy on here that can remote coding. I've been very tempted to ask him to turn on the no dazzle headlights.

somethings like dazzle, can only be done with guys like him. Bimmer App only does certain functions.
If you mean r33_RGSport, absolutely — all indications are that he is a rock solid, easy going, and competent operator.

Correct that Bimmercode can't do anti-dazzle and probably never will — just too many things going on for that one. But it's not hard at all to do with ESys setup and I've done it a week ago and love it so far. Still, unless you're willing to take the full coding plunge, r33_RGSport is likely your best remote coding bet for that. But ASS is easy with Bimmercode.
      10-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you mean r33_RGSport, absolutely — all indications are that he is a rock solid, easy going, and competent operator.

Correct that Bimmercode can't do anti-dazzle and probably never will — just too many things going on for that one. But it's not hard at all to do with ESys setup and I've done it a week ago and love it so far. Still, unless you're willing to take the full coding plunge, r33_RGSport is likely your best remote coding bet for that. But ASS is easy with Bimmercode.
Thank you for the mention.

I can code any F chassis and G chassis BMW.
In fact, I just did 3 coding today. One was my new F97 X3MC.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
Slimshady
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So once i buy the dongle, its basically plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep... The app walks you through it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Not quite plug and play, but not hard. Bimmercode provides rudimentary instructions — read them and follow them (there is probably 1-2 minutes of reading max) and it will work fine. The basic are:

- get the right dongle
- plug dongle into OBDII port under and to the left of the steering wheel
- ensure lots of battery on car and on phone
- place the car is diagnostic mode (3 presses of start without touching brake pedal)
- bluetooth pair the dongle to phone (just once, although might need to ensure connected in the future if doesn't auto connect)
- disconnect from wifi and all OTHER Bluetooth devices on the phone, INCLUDING car; only Bluetooth connection should be the dongle
- run Bimmercode app, select correct dongle, select right car, connect to car
- read available ECUs one at a time (green dot beside name), see which parameters you want to change and change them
- code (the process is one ECU at a time)
- car will do some stuff (restart iDrive, etc.); it might re-enable some help pop-ups as a side effect
- exit Bimmercode, shut off car
- open/start car, observe results
- you can leave the dongle plugged in or, slightly better, unplug and keep in car for future on-the-road coding after done

Above seems like a lot, but it isn't. Becomes second nature after a couple of sessions.
      10-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Slimshady
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not quite plug and play, but not hard. Bimmercode provides rudimentary instructions — read them and follow them (there is probably 1-2 minutes of reading max) and it will work fine. The basic are:

- get the right dongle
- place the car is diagnostic mode (3 presses of start without touching brake pedal)
- bluetooth pair the dongle to phone (just once, although might need to ensure connected in the future if doesn't auto connect)
- disconnect from wifi and all OTHER Bluetooth devices on the phone, INCLUDING car; only Bluetooth connection should be the dongle
- read available ECUs one at a time (green dot beside name), see which parameters you want to change and change them
- car will do some stuff (restart iDrive, etc.); it might re-enable some help pop-ups as a side effect
- you can leave the dongle plugged in or, slightly better, unplug and keep in car for future on-the-road coding after done

Above seems like a lot, but it isn't. Becomes second nature after a couple of sessions.
SUPER helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

rgsport33

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- get the right dongle

SUPER helpful. Thanks!
or you can get r33 rgsport to do everything for you.

once I get my laptop working, I'm going to call him to code everything.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25393874
Appreciate 0