12-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #45
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglarry View Post
Nov 2018 build as well. Didn't get the keycard when it was delivered by BMW genius, and I asked, he claimed it was optional and have to pay for it. After asking a few questions, I felt the genius knew less about car than I did.

Still having an issue to pair up my Samsung Note 9 with X5 as the key. It just showed me "data transfer error" when I tired it.
As far as the key card goes, I worked with the service department and service manager. They ordered if for me and there was no charge, an advantage to it is that is does not require a $20 annual subscription either. In reading these forums I recall a mix of people who either got it for free or paid for it. The national genius line might have more knowledgeable people, my experience in dealing with the onsite genius generally mirrors yours, they are hit and miss on knowledge. There was supposedly "a process" for the early 19 builds to get the card for free.

My 2019 Digital key on my phone expired last month and even though I paid to renew it's still not working. If you're beyond the month 12 of delivery of your vehicle you'll likely need to pay the ridiculous renewal fee, not sure if that's your issue or if it's something else as data transfer doesn't tell us much of what's happening. Guess you can ask for a refund if you can't get it working.

I forget (and did not search) to see if other Note 9 users have been successful in installing digital keys. I know my S10+ vs S9+ was much easier to activate within the car. As I recall the S9+ activation took numerous attempts, restarting the phone, car and the process. Honestly I'd guess most people would give up is kinda what I recall thinking immediately after getting it to work. The 10+ was a snap..up until it came time to renew my subscription. I have a case pending with BMW support now to see if they resolve any "backend" server issues.. to key the new 2020 key to work.

My experience is this process is way harder than it should be, but when it works it was nice, pretty consistent and convenient.
Appreciate 0