BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Step out of car, car shuts down

So when I step out of the car (other people still inside), the car shuts down. So ac stops, dash goes off etc. Why is that? I have the option in the screenshot disabled, but still it shuts down. It's a 45e, happening both in electric and adaptive mode. It's annoying when I just have to open a gate or something that everything shuts off.

Translation of the screenshot: Shutdown car when door is opened.
In the right information pane, it says it only does that when nobody is left in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I have the same, I have planned to test an iDrive reboot but haven't found the time yet
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
So when I step out of the car (other people still inside), the car shuts down. So ac stops, dash goes off etc. Why is that? I have the option in the screenshot disabled, but still it shuts down. It's a 45e, happening both in electric and adaptive mode. It's annoying when I just have to open a gate or something that everything shuts off.

Translation of the screenshot: Shutdown car when door is opened.
In the right information pane, it says it only does that when nobody is left in the car.
Does 45e have the sport drive mode button? If so, press it and it may stay on, it does on my ICE X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Yes it does have sport mode, but wouldn't really make much sense switching on ice just for that. The 45e will shutdown ice when driving to a stop (if it was even running at all) In many cases I'm only driving electric. But exactly because the 45e can keep everything running on hv battery, it doesn't make sense to shutdown the entire car when stepping out for a sec. It seems like a bug to me, since the setting in the screenshot should prevent the car from shutting down.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I think it is a specific security measure for the 45e to make it impossible to get out of the car while it is still running and driving of while you are half out of the car. You don't hear the electric motor. With an ICE only the engine would start when you release the brake.

I don't know if it is a bug.

But is not practical if you get out of the car to pay for gas and the rest of the family is in the car and you want to keep everything running.

Have you tried what happens if you put it in P before opening the door?

If I read the text in your photo and the manual it seems like it is possible to switch it of.

If I remember well the 40e also switched of when the door was opened as a security measure.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I think it is a specific security measure for the 45e to make it impossible to get out of the car while it is still running and driving of while you are half out of the car. You don't hear the electric motor. With an ICE only the engine would start when you release the brake.

But is not practical if you get out of the car to pay for gas and the rest of the family is in the car and you want to keep everything running.

I always set it to P when stepping out. I have auto hold enabled as well, but still, it shuts down. If the 45e is designed like this, why is the checkbox present when it doesn't do what is should?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      08-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

I always set it to P when stepping out. I have auto hold enabled as well, but still, it shuts down. If the 45e is designed like this, why is the checkbox present when it doesn't do what is should?
Yes you are correct. I think my 40e did the same to prevent you get out of the car while it would drive of and you wouldn't notice because of the electric drive.

You could potentially leave the car and keep the AC running until the next morning if you also forget to lock if this function wasn't there.

It would be good to have a way to keep the AC and radio on when you go out for a couple of minutes and leave the kids in the car with the doors unlocked (or locked?) and preferably with the gear and hand brake blocked until the key is back into the car. Kind of keep the car on for 10-15 minutes until I am back function.

I would never leave my kids in the car alone with a running engine in a non electric car. They behave well and I don't expect them to climb behind the week and put the car into gear. But you never know.

When I get out of the car I just push the stop button. It goes in to P automatically but I only use the parking brake when I am parked on a hill or in the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

It happens to every E car and is normal. Not sure why they have the option with that box, my guess it's just an over sight on BMW's part.
      08-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Well, my previous car, a Mercedes GLC 350e, didn't do this.
I have to open the gate to my driveway manually every Day when I come home from work so I have lots of hands-on experience
On the other hand, my golf GTI with obviously only a normal gas engine, shuts down as well and forces you to restart when you get back in.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Well, my previous car, a Mercedes GLC 350e, didn't do this.
I have to open the gate to my driveway manually every Day when I come home from work so I have lots of hands-on experience
On the other hand, my golf GTI with obviously only a normal gas engine, shuts down as well and forces you to restart when you get back in.
You need a homelink compatible electric gate sir.
Appreciate 2
Sirksael102.50
FLYZ85.50
      08-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
It happens to every E car and is normal. Not sure why they have the option with that box, my guess it's just an over sight on BMW's part.
So it's a bug. Either the checkbox shouldn't be there in the 45e or the car should not shutdown when the door is opened and the checkbox is not ticked.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Does the "e" variety have auto stop start? I noticed on my ICE that if ASS is active and I get out the car it will shut down, but if I don't have ASS on it won't. Maybe that's what's happening here.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

What if you leave the key in the car?
Archived: 2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Does the "e" variety have auto stop start? I noticed on my ICE that if ASS is active and I get out the car it will shut down, but if I don't have ASS on it won't. Maybe that's what's happening here.
It is all about start stopping the ICE with the e engine. The only way to have the ICE all the time is with the gear in sport.

There is no on off button for auto start stop, that would go against the principle of a PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #15
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

I think its related to comfort access option

this feature, select the option CAR on the main screen, then go to Settings, swipe to find Vehicle Access and click on it, then select Comfort Access and tick the marks for "Unlock by approaching" and "Lock by leaving".

You should check or uncheck this option to disable to enable

Hope this helps !!
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 05:49 PM   #16
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

While in this subject

- I have kind of a related question so hanging it on here:

Does the radio/infotainment stay ON in the 45e if the car is stopped and you open the drivers door?

In our old X5 it did. It's nice for other people still in the car, and even nice for yourself if you are to open the trunk/rear doors to take some things out etc.
The radio finally shut down when when the car was locked.

Our current Volvo is opposite and its annoying. When I open the drivers door (engine stopped) everything shuts down, so no sound/music left for the other in the car. (Passenger door can be opened without the radio shuts down...).
If they want sound - they need to push the radio ON button again. It doesn't make sense.

I really hope the 45e keeps everything on until it is locked too.
It's a small detail, but adding to the comfort part of the X5.

Thanks,
BXdriver
In the past: 20 Volvo XC60
In the past: 14 BMW X5 25d
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:40 AM   #17
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
What if you leave the key in the car?
Tried this. No difference, car still shuts down.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #18
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
I think its related to comfort access option

this feature, select the option CAR on the main screen, then go to Settings, swipe to find Vehicle Access and click on it, then select Comfort Access and tick the marks for "Unlock by approaching" and "Lock by leaving".

You should check or uncheck this option to disable to enable

Hope this helps !!
This is based on the location of the keyfob, which is still in the car. Both boxes are unchecked in my case.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #19
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
I really hope they'll fix this. I assume the lights are also switched off when the car shuts down? I'll have to operate a lock and a gate in complete darkness, then.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:23 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
I really hope they'll fix this. I assume the lights are also switched off when the car shuts down? I'll have to operate a lock and a gate in complete darkness, then.
You can program they stay on for some time for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #21
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post
- I have kind of a related question so hanging it on here:

Does the radio/infotainment stay ON in the 45e if the car is stopped and you open the drivers door?
no, it shuts off as well.
In the mean time I tried the Idrive reboot as well, still the car shuts down when I get out.
Appreciate 1
BXdriver159.00
      08-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #22
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hi there, there is a setup u can change within the setting. Check the comfort access setup section and there is an option (yes/no) to shut off the car when u open the vehicle door. I can’t give you the setting path because I don’t have my car with me but I hate this feature so I went deep and figure it out. Give it a shot

*keep in mind that I think the setting is based on profile so if you switch to the second driver profile, the setting will change.
Appreciate 0