Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Today I was driving normally on highway, suddenly the car notification kicks in, the driving assistances supported was reduced. Then I noticed the blind spot monitors no longer lights up, and tried ACC, the steering assist can't work either. Later I checked affected systems, almost all active safety protection were affected...

Does anyone had the same experience? Should I go to the dealership or wait a few days to see if it's just an software bug? Thanks!
Reminds me of the issue I had with my 6GT (see pictures attached). If your issue is the same, the KAFAS-unit may need replacing.
Yes that's what is showing on my idrive. Show long does it take to repair? Can it be done in 1 week? Thanks
More than 40 days because the dealership managed to damage my car in the middle of the process. They broke the brackets holding the KAFAS' plastic cover and damaged the front bumper of the car. As the result, the car returned to me with the front bumper painted and the windshield replaced.

Fortunately, BMW of NA repurchased that vehicle from me.
I see, thanks for the info. Seems mine have less malfunction than yours, ACC and lane departure warning still works. May not be the case whole unit is malfunction. BYW, does Marie than 40 days on repairs make sure the lemon law can kick in to have BMW repurchase the vehicle? When you get your car back it's still has defect? Thanks again
Actually, both ACC and lane departure warnings worked for me, even with that number of errors present. That's because the system consists of multiple components that back up each other. In particular, there is a radar in the front bumper that allows ACC to work w/o KAFAS.

Regarding the repurchase, - there was, let's call it, a gentleman agreement between me and BMW of NA (no lawyers, courts or anything like this). In the first place, the car left the dealership with the problem fixed. So, BMW of NA gave two options: a) to accepts a monetary compensation for what had happened to my car; b) to repurchase the car at almost full price I had paid for it. I chose (b).
Thanks again for sharing. So did you just call bmw NA after you get your car back from dealer? Telling them that the car in repair for more than 30 days? Which number or email did you reach BMW NA?
The reason why I called BMW of NA was the dealership took multiple attempts to paint the front bumper with no luck. At that moment, the car stayed there for about 30 days, and I started to loose my patience. So I called BMW of NA to complain about the whole service experience and to ask to set a hard deadline for the dealership to get the car fixed. I never requested a repurchase or any other compensation - I just wanted to get my car back. It was BMW of NA who made me a repurchase proposal.

Regarding the phone number, - I called to the customer support line. The phone number is available in the BMW ConnectedDrive app.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #24
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Today I was driving normally on highway, suddenly the car notification kicks in, the driving assistances supported was reduced. Then I noticed the blind spot monitors no longer lights up, and tried ACC, the steering assist can't work either. Later I checked affected systems, almost all active safety protection were affected...

Does anyone had the same experience? Should I go to the dealership or wait a few days to see if it's just an software bug? Thanks!
Reminds me of the issue I had with my 6GT (see pictures attached). If your issue is the same, the KAFAS-unit may need replacing.
Yes that's what is showing on my idrive. Show long does it take to repair? Can it be done in 1 week? Thanks
More than 40 days because the dealership managed to damage my car in the middle of the process. They broke the brackets holding the KAFAS' plastic cover and damaged the front bumper of the car. As the result, the car returned to me with the front bumper painted and the windshield replaced.

I see, thanks for the info. Seems mine have less malfunction than yours, ACC and lane departure warning still works. May not be the case whole unit is malfunction. BYW, does Marie than 40 days on repairs make sure the lemon law can kick in to have BMW repurchase the vehicle? When you get your car back it's still has defect? Thanks again
Actually, both ACC and lane departure warnings worked for me, even with that number of errors present. That's because the system consists of multiple components that back up each other. In particular, there is a radar in the front bumper that allows ACC to work w/o KAFAS.

Regarding the repurchase, - there was, let's call it, a gentleman agreement between me and BMW of NA (no lawyers, courts or anything like this). In the first place, the car left the dealership with the problem fixed. So, BMW of NA gave two options: a) to accepts a monetary compensation for what had happened to my car; b) to repurchase the car at almost full price I had paid for it. I chose (b).
Thanks again for sharing. So did you just call bmw NA after you get your car back from dealer? Telling them that the car in repair for more than 30 days? Which number or email did you reach BMW NA?
The reason why I called BMW of NA was the dealership took multiple attempts to paint the front bumper with no luck. At that moment, the car stayed there for about 30 days, and I started to loose my patience. So I called BMW of NA to complain about the whole service experience and to ask to set a hard deadline for the dealership to get the car fixed. I never requested a repurchase or any other compensation - I just wanted to get my car back. It was BMW of NA who made me a repurchase proposal.

Regarding the phone number, - I called to the customer support line. The phone number is available in the BMW ConnectedDrive app.
I see, thanks for sharing. I guess if my car can be fixed in a week I will not bother with it. But if took too long I will contact bmw NA. My car has sitting in the service center for more than 3 weeks in March to have the failed compressor and AC system replaced, 1 week in Jun to have malfunction auto/stop button replaced.... now the AC is still sometimes slow to kick in... will see if this time it can be fixed completely
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #25
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see, thanks for sharing. I guess if my car can be fixed in a week I will not bother with it. But if took too long I will contact bmw NA. My car has sitting in the service center for more than 3 weeks in March to have the failed compressor and AC system replaced, 1 week in Jun to have malfunction auto/stop button replaced.... now the AC is still sometimes slow to kick in... will see if this time it can be fixed completely
Wishing you the fastest issue resolution!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #26
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Hi RJJJ, would you please advise about the current status of your car? Did they change the KAFAS cameras or did something else to resolve the issue? Thank you!
      11-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #27
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

I have the same message as RJJJ and it has happened 3 times now. Two of the incidents in the past 3 days. When I check the affected systems nothing is affected and all systems check out okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #28
joshsmith4040
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

kafas replacement

I just had the kafas camera replaced as my active/adaptive cruise control was not keeping me in the lane. I am still having this issue. Curious if anyone else had it replaced and it did not resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0