BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
X5 M50i '21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Carbon Fiber trim - anyone's auto's arrive for 2021 with this?

Good or bad? Any pics available?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Depends on if you've had it before and/or your tolerance for swirls/spiderwebs on the gloss finish.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
X5 M50i '21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Depends on if you've had it before and/or your tolerance for swirls/spiderwebs on the gloss finish.
That doesn't sound promising. Do you have it? And if so, on what car mad year? Any pics? I was going to order with it tomorrow but maybe I should reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That doesn't sound promising. Do you have it? And if so, on what car mad year? Any pics? I was going to order with it tomorrow but maybe I should reconsider.
I wouldn't go that far, it just depends ... first, are you tired of the look? for me CF is a little played out, but that's likely a 1st world problem ...

Next is the gloss finish on just about all of the trims (except the matte wood and aluminums) - dusting it wrong or brushing against it when it's dusty puts micro scratches into the finish which are very visible in bright light; some people don't even know what spiderwebs are so they can't "see" them ... other people like me get really annoyed by them.

So, for me, I avoid any dark trim with a gloss finish - my current trim is white birch (beautiful!!):

my next trim will be the matte wood. I don't have any picture of the CF trim with micro scratches because would be painful

EDIT: found this pic of spider webbing micro scratches on piano black:

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-04-2020 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Auricom4360.00
      10-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had carbon trim in both my M4s. Do not worry about scratches and swirls as it’s vastly more durable and easier to maintain than Piano Black.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
Very happy with mine!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      10-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I had carbon trim in both my M4s. Do not worry about scratches and swirls as it’s vastly more durable and easier to maintain than Piano Black.
I would 100% disagree with that also having had it on my M4s - CF gloss finish is no more durable than the gloss finish on any of the other trims, and cann get plenty of spiderwebs, you just might not notice ... some don't (many? most?)

It's the exact same gloss finish on all the trims: the only difference is how easy it is to see the spider-webbing; piano black makes it super easy, CF with its pattern makes it not quite as easy ... with that, though ...

The differences are:

(1.) Do you "see" spider webbing? i.e., as a detail nut I do, though I also don't need reading glasses - people who do are less likely to notice.

(2.) How dusty does your car get? The less dust the less likely for the scratches to form.

(3.) How often do you dust it / have it washed where someone is wiping down the interior? People who don't use a vacuum first and then a clean maintained microfiber are gonna cause spider webs.

(4.) Do you have kids and/or passengers that touch the dash? If so there's not much hope.

Many people (most?) don't care about the spider webbing and/or can't see it ... some cars I've been in look like halloween and the owners have no clue ... I"m only pointing this out for people who, like me, do see it and do care. If you're one of those, it becomes a constant eyesore.

For those that can't see swirls or don't care, or well maintain, CF is beautiful!

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-05-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I would 100% disagree with that also having had it on my M4s - CF gloss finish is no more durable than the gloss finish on any of the other trims, and cann get plenty of spiderwebs, you just might not notice ... some don't (many? most?)

It's the exact same gloss finish on all the trims: the only difference is how easy it is to see the spider-webbing; piano black makes it super easy, CF with its pattern makes it not quite as easy ... with that, though ...

The differences are:

(1.) Do you "see" spider webbing? i.e., as a detail nut I do, though I also don't need reading glasses - people who do are less likely to notice.

(2.) How dusty does your car get? The less dust the less likely for the scratches to form.

(3.) How often do you dust it / have it washed where someone is wiping down the interior? People who don't use a vacuum first and then a clean maintained microfiber are gonna cause spider webs.

(4.) Do you have kids and/or passengers that touch the dash? If so there's not much hope.

Many people (most?) don't care about the spider webbing and/or can't see it ... some cars I've been in look like halloween and the owners have no clue ... I"m only pointing this out for people who, like me, do see it and do care. If you're one of those, it becomes a constant eyesore.

For those that can't see swirls or don't care, or well maintain, CF is beautiful!

Maybe I've been lucky as I don't have kids and I'm a nutter for keeping my car clean and pristine inside ( my dealer is always amazed when I come to trade in for my new cars as they don't clean or prep before going onto AUC!). That said I still think CF is more durable day to day than Piano Black as it doesn't scratch to the same level. Yes you may get micro scratches/webbing on poorly looked after examples but I've yet to see ANY PB on AUC that isn't scratched to some degree.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
DPHTOY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Vert. 2019 X5 40i M-Sp

[IMG][/IMG]. Mine looks great. I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #10
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Get it ceramic coated and you won't have any problems. I had the CF trim in my M4 ceramic coated and it looks mint almost 3 years later. Or even better, put PPF on it and it'll last forever.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-11-2020, 02:54 AM   #11
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup. This may be why mine was perfect in my M4s as I always have my cars ceramic coated inside and out upon delivery. It’s the best money you can spend on your car.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 03:33 AM   #12
X5 M50i '21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Yup. This may be why mine was perfect in my M4s as I always have my cars ceramic coated inside and out upon delivery. It’s the best money you can spend on your car.
What does ceramic coating cost and do dealers do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:31 AM   #13
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Edit: double post.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:33 AM   #14
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What does ceramic coating cost and do dealers do this?
Dealers won’t do it (they will offer some crap GuardX equivalent) but any good detailer will do it for you. In the U.K. gtechnique is one of the best. I swear by it. Keeps the car protected inside and out and much easier to maintain too. Usually £800 - £1500 depending on the detailer and the level of work involved (most will keep the car for a couple of days and clean and detail extensively inside and out before applying). Sounds pricey but worth every penny.

I used to think it was a bit overpriced but my San Marino Blue M4 was a twat to keep clean. I was forever washing/polish/waxing to avoid swirls and marks but after a coating in GTechnique it sparkled even after heavy rain. Likewise the interior protection is superb, especially on lighter colours.
Appreciate 0