BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #45
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Today I also had the issue of the car starting up in hybrid instead of electric individual. Will update the dealer with this info.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #46
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Today I also had the issue of the car starting up in hybrid instead of electric individual. Will update the dealer with this info.
It doesn't really interfere with functioning of the car but it is just annoying that it happens and we don't know why. And even more because according to replies in this threads, some 45e's don't seem to have the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #47
Chris-lsd
Rep
Drives: i3s,X5 45e

How do you get the car to start in Electric? Mine always is set to hybrid on starting.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #48
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-lsd View Post
How do you get the car to start in Electric? Mine always is set to hybrid on starting.
You can do this in the menu where you do the settings for electric individual and sport individual.

There is a box you can check to start up in electric individual as default.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #49
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I noticed today that when driving electric individual and putting the gear to sport, as know , the ICE switches on immediately.

If you put it back tot normal the mode switches back to electric only directly.

With a kick down in electric only it switches to hybrid however it takes some time before switching back to electric is possible.

Inconsistency in programming the delay on switching back to electric??

For me it is okay because it does what I expect. Direct full power if I want to and back to normal just as fast. I just wonder if it good for the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #50
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Make sure both of your keys are linked to your driver profile, which stores those configured preferences such as electric individual.

I got into my X5 45e and it looked so weird and not behaving like I was used to. Then I realized I was on guest profile because I grabbed the other key fob.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #51
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

I have 03/2020.69 Have about 1400 Miles on it now and I have not experienced this issue. I start up on Electric Individual mode.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #52
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
Make sure both of your keys are linked to your driver profile, which stores those configured preferences such as electric individual.

I got into my X5 45e and it looked so weird and not behaving like I was used to. Then I realized I was on guest profile because I grabbed the other key fob.
Thx for helping but that is not the issue. I am on my own profile since I got it (12.000 km) and I only use one key. Maybe they have solved it now and it will be gone after an update of my software.

While driving, without accelerating to hard it goes from electric individual to hybrid when it is not supposed to.

I also have the problem that now and then the max charge goes down to 6A. This is solved with a software upgrade ( still have to do it) I hope it solves the first problem too.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #53
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I'm guessing since I haven't played with mine that much yet, that once the ICE is activated, the computer wants to run it a bit prior to shutting it off again. Short duration runs with a cold engine are not great for longevity as combustion produces some water vapor, and if things don't get hot enough, it stays in the oil pan and exhaust system rather than drying itself out.

It's normal in sport mode for the ICE to turn on. In other modes, you have to exceed some power demand threshold, or decreased battery capacity before it will turn on. That demand could be accelerating to pass, starting up on a steep grade, or exceeding a certain speed. Throw in if you have a destination set in the nav, and that can complicate things some.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #54
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I'm guessing since I haven't played with mine that much yet, that once the ICE is activated, the computer wants to run it a bit prior to shutting it off again. Short duration runs with a cold engine are not great for longevity as combustion produces some water vapor, and if things don't get hot enough, it stays in the oil pan and exhaust system rather than drying itself out.

It's normal in sport mode for the ICE to turn on. In other modes, you have to exceed some power demand threshold, or decreased battery capacity before it will turn on. That demand could be accelerating to pass, starting up on a steep grade, or exceeding a certain speed. Throw in if you have a destination set in the nav, and that can complicate things some.
That is all correct and that is how it works. But that is not what is happening. It switches to hybrid without any obvious reason.

The other thing is that when the drive mode is switched from electric to hybrid / sport and the ICE is switched on it takes a minute to be able to go back to electric and I get why. However when driving electric and putting te gear into sport/manual the ICE turns on but when putting the gear back to normal position directly turns off the ICE and it goes back to electric mode. I would think it should go into hybrid for at least a minute like what happens when switching drive modes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #55
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Starting/stopping the ICE is likely to depend on when and how long it was on previously, so switching modes back and forth may not indicate what would happen when only switching from one to another. There are sensors that indicate if the engine is warm, and if so, by how much. Just one more question in the scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #56
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Starting/stopping the ICE is likely to depend on when and how long it was on previously, so switching modes back and forth may not indicate what would happen when only switching from one to another. There are sensors that indicate if the engine is warm, and if so, by how much. Just one more question in the scheme of things.
I know. I have been driving this car for almost a year and I am aware of what is happening.

Some have reported the same and others report not having it
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #57
jwsea
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, 2019 435 xD cone

Angry Any 2021 BMW X5 45e owners receive recall notice?

Was called last Friday about a potential Li battery problem with specific welds that could short.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:46 AM   #58
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I noticed today that when driving electric individual and putting the gear to sport, as know , the ICE switches on immediately.

With a kick down in electric only it switches to hybrid however it takes some time before switching back to electric is possible.

For me it is okay because it does what I expect. Direct full power if I want to and back to normal just as fast. I just wonder if it good for the ICE.
This is not the case for me. I use this trick to get medium power in certain circumstances, Kickdown is full power at once and I don't like to do this on a cold engine, so I switch the gear lever in sport and accelerate faster than in full electric but less than kickdown.

After doing this, I switch back the gear lever and depending on how long and hard the acceleration was, it switches back to electric individual immediately or it takes another few moments before doing so. But It is true that if you have to really push it hard, sometimes it is warmed up enough for it to switch back immediately.

So for me it seems like there is no inconsistency. Happy to hear your findings
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:56 AM   #59
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Quote:

This is not the case for me. I use this trick to get medium power in certain circumstances, Kickdown is full power at once and I don't like to do this on a cold engine, so I switch the gear lever in sport and accelerate faster than in full electric but less than kickdown.

After doing this, I switch back the gear lever and depending on how long and hard the acceleration was, it switches back to electric individual immediately or it takes another few moments before doing so. But It is true that if you have to really push it hard, sometimes it is warmed up enough for it to switch back immediately.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Do you have the issue switching to hybrid when in all electric and switch to 6A max charging? I am just looking for a pattern.

The situation I noticed is when driving all electric day and after a really short time like accelerating with the gear in M/S for 15 seconds to take over and then switching back, it would go to electric immediately without staying in hybrid. If I do the same in sport mode it takes a bit of time before I can go back.

Tbh I don't do this a lot. I don't think it is good for the engine. I don't do a kick down on a cold engine either.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #60
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I will give it a try.

Do you have the issue switching to hybrid when in all electric and switch to 6A max charging? I am just looking for a pattern.
The 6A issue hasn't occurred as far as I know. But haven't been paying too much attention to it to be honest. I guess i would notice if my battery wouldn't charge fully over night.

My car does however sometimes switch to hybrid when in full electric, but this happens rather rarely.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #61
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Just gave it a try. Left with a cold engine from the parking.

Driving 40 km/h in electric individual. Switched the gear to M/S without pushing on the gas more than I was. The ICE switches on, drive mode goes to hybrid automatically. Putting the gear back to normal after 5 seconds directly turns off the ICE and drive mode back to electric individual.

After that I switched to hybrid and accelerated so that the ICE turned on. Now I couldn't go to drive mode electric

Of course just a 5 minute test. I will do some more testing the next days on longer trips. Not such a big deal either
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #62
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Second test this morning and it indeed did what you report.

Cold engine. Switching to M/S and back and in stayed in hybrid not directly to electric. I could switch back after 30 seconds.

Problem solved I think.

Maybe the switch to hybrid now and then is intentional too. I just can't find a pattern.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #63
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Cold engine. Switching to M/S and back and in stayed in hybrid not directly to electric. I could switch back after 30 seconds.

Problem solved I think.

Maybe the switch to hybrid now and then is intentional too. I just can't find a pattern.
Good to know we have similar results, with all the bugs I sometimes do not know what is intentional and what isn't.

I have recently had 2 instances of the switching to hybrid phenomenon... Hadn't really happened before despite starting up in electric by default and driving most of the time in that mode as well...

No idea if this is intentional or not but it sucks we can not have more "faith" in the product doing what it is supposed to do. Let's hope they keep developing the software so that at some point we end up with a well functioning device without its erratic behavior
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #64
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Problem solved I think.

Good to know we have similar results, with all the bugs I sometimes do not know what is intentional and what isn't.

I have recently had 2 instances of the switching to hybrid phenomenon... Hadn't really happened before despite starting up in electric by default and driving most of the time in that mode as well...

No idea if this is intentional or not but it sucks we can not have more "faith" in the product doing what it is supposed to do. Let's hope they keep developing the software so that at some point we end up with a well functioning device without its erratic behavior
Maybe it does what it is supposed to do but we don't know / understand why.🤓
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #65
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't remember which mode is needed when you've set a minimum charge level...could it be that that threshold was reached, and the vehicle turned the engine on to try to bring the battery back up to the setting? Haven't had mine that long, and only a few miles on it so far (only a bit over 200).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #66
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember which mode is needed when you've set a minimum charge level...could it be that that threshold was reached, and the vehicle turned the engine on to try to bring the battery back up to the setting? Haven't had mine that long, and only a few miles on it so far (only a bit over 200).
That is battery controle mode. I hardly ever use that setting. It is a drive mode like electric, adaptive and hybrid so you have to activate that with the switch.
Appreciate 0