08-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #23
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Don't you occasionally wish that Russia had annexed Finland after the war? You would still have the same crappy roads, but much lower fuel prices and vehicle taxes - and dirt-cheap alcohol.
I'm happier with the high fuel prices, thank you. Alcohol - that's what you mix with water in the washer tank so it doesn't freeze.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #24
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
In Finland you pay a car tax (and VAT) when you buy a car. Car tax depends on the emissions: For the base model X5 45e the tax is about 2600 eur (3100 USD), but for X5 M the tax is 97400 eur (116000 USD). You pay the tax for any options as well, so if the tax percentage is high, the options will also cost you a lot more.

In addition, you pay a yearly tax which is also based on the emissions and if your car uses any other fuel than gasoline, you pay an extra tax every year (fortunately, this tax is low for the 45e).

And our fuel is among the most expensive in Europe and roads are very bad..
For a guy that grow up in Eastern Europe it look like you arrived in communism. But, somehow, your people like there and obey the rules ....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #25
gpretired
Rep
Drives: M Roadster, X5 phev45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osheatwo View Post
I find this thread in G20 forum. May give you some insight

330e delivery halt https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1749649
Thanks, that seems to be the most active thread on the topic. Slowly, information is getting to the public, even though my dealer says nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #26
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpretired View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osheatwo View Post
I find this thread in G20 forum. May give you some insight

330e delivery halt https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1749649
Thanks, that seems to be the most active thread on the topic. Slowly, information is getting to the public, even though my dealer says nothing.
True I noticed it last night and it seem to be a little more active than here. Glad it was able to add additional content to your situation and others since all several models are impacted by the same recall.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #27
gpretired
Rep

For those in the US, here is the official NHTSA recall info from my Vin. https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

Nothing new, just confirming what we all suspect, just need to wait for new batteries. Dealer continues to say nothing.

Note that remedy is "replace batteries",
but remedy status is "Remedy not yet available"

I read this as there are not enough batteries for current production and field repairs. Looks like those affected could be in for a long wait.

------------------From web site-----------------------------

NHTSA Recall Number > 20V490

Recall Date: August 18, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: NA

SUMMARY:
HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY: The high voltage battery may not have been produced according to specifications. During initial charging to near full charge, a short-circuit between battery modules could occur.

SAFETY RISK:
In rare cases, the short-circuit could lead to a thermal event which could increase the risk of injury.

REMEDY:
The high voltage battery will be inspected and, if necessary, battery modules will be replaced. The remedy will be performed for free.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
gpretired
Rep

Well here is the answer to my original question.

After 24 days, I have been informed that my car is officially recalled (in the US) and thus I need to place an order for a new one. Oh well, back into the line. Waiting for the repair was not the right strategy.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #29
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Oh no :-( Sounds odd that they can't just replace the battery pack.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Oh no :-( Sounds odd that they can't just replace the battery pack.
The solution appears to be replacing the battery pack but due to their weird parts distribution system it seems producing a new vehicle is quicker than shipping a spare battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #31
gpretired
Rep

At the risk of beating a dead horse, this issue is more complex. It seems that in Europe on other models, they are sending cars back to 'ports' where BMW techs will charge and discharge the car 3 times. No smoke and you have a good car. They will not allow dealers to do this.

In the US, it now appears they just want to send the car back to the factory.

Any way, I am attempting to reorder. I hope they hold the same price as last time.... Maybe I will get priority build and ship, who knows :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #32
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Priority treatment sounds more than fair given that BMW messed up your initial order.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:38 AM   #33
jayo
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Hi gpretired

Have you had any update on your delivery?

I collected my X5 45e last Friday.

My X5 was production week 26-06-2020 so it falls in the date range.

There was not stop at the dealer, but I dont know if it was inspected at the port before delivery to the dealer.

So far I have fully charged it once, hopefully it will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpretired View Post
jayo,

My dealer is very closed on providing any information wrt this problem as I noted above.

I suspect that if your car was built prior to early August, it is probably included in the stop sale and will need to be inspected once it arrives at the dealer, as was mine. And as I said, even after the inspection, they would not even say whether it was defective, only that they could not sell it.

The nature of the repair for defective units remains private BMW information and has not been shared with the public.

Your dealer can check to see if your vin is in the affected group. They know the answer. The sooner you know that piece of information, the sooner you could make the critical decision of wait vs re-order. Had I known in early August, I would have re-ordered, now I just wait....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #34
gpretired
Rep

Hi Jayo,

It is unclear exactly which cars were included in the recall. If your dealer released the car to you, I would assume you can be confident that it is deemed to be OK by BMW either by lack of inclusion in the recall or it passed the test I described in an earlier post.

It is good to hear that some customers have working cars from the suspected date range of recalled cars. You won the lottery

As for me, here in the US, my car has been deemed defective, and will be sent back to BMW. I have ordered a new model and the wait starts
Appreciate 1
jayo36.00
      09-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #35
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Anyone in Canada impacted by this recall? If you are then would you mind sharing your experience? Are you getting replacement as well?
      09-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #36
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Anyone in Canada impacted by this recall? If you are then would you mind sharing your experience? Are you getting replacement as well?
Yes, there was one vehicle recalled in Canada and it was a dealer's not a customer's vehicle. Someone posted the recall notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #37
Dgal
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e Msport

Offer from BMW

Hi Jason,
I am also in Meath.
Collected my x5 45e MSport two weeks ago and at that time there was no issue highlighted.
BMW connected app notified me of the issue over the weekend and I contacted the dealer.

Today BMW offered me two options.
€350 per month until the battery issue with the 45e is resolved
or
Alternative vehicle, but NOT an x5, most likely a 5 series.

But no timelines for the issue to be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
Hi TurtleBoy,

Thanks for the update, Im just wondering if you give a bit more information on the numbers of 45E's caught up in this?

The only information that I can find regarding this problem is the initial reports in the media but they are very general citing just over 4,000 vehicles worldwide across a lot of models, most of which have not been delivered to customers as yet.

Im based in Ireland and I my new 45E is in the country, but i wont be taking delivery until the end of next week (VAT is being reduced by 2% here on 1st September so Im saving some money by delaying).

I had asked my dealer if my vehicle is caught up in this but I have not had an answer and Im getting worried that they might be stalling.

I don't know if the problem with the welding beads is inside the battery unit or outside. Do they have to remove the batter and take it apart to do the inspection?

No disrespect to the guys working here in the workshops, but I would imagine that there are very few of them with very much experience working on these batteries, and Im not keen of them gaining their experience on mine!!! Its one thing replacing a battery, its something else repairing it.

Also, Its not a nice thought to have that your brand spanking new car that you paid €120K might have to be taken apart and repaired before you even get to see it!

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #38
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgal View Post
or

These options are very similar to the ones a group of us got for an issue here in the 'states. Personally I took the check and it took ~8 months to resolve and, for me, had almost zero impact, so it was found-money.

So for you, if I understand, you can still use your 45e, just not the battery, and get a check for €350 per month? That seems pretty awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #39
jayo
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Hi DGal,

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on your new X5, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am mine - in spite of the current problem.

The message popped up in my iDrive on Friday evening and I got it in the BMW Connected App as well.

I posted a seperate thread on

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765121

I emailed my dealer (Robbie in Joe Duffy) on Saturday and he gave me the same information as well regarding the fuel allowance or replacement car. He also rang me yesterday but I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call so I have not as yet gotten into the specifics.

That said, its not the dealers fault and they always look after me very well so I guess we just have to wait and see how it develops - my only worry is the timeline and as you said there is no information about that at the minute.

Its funny, even with problems like this it doesn't diminish how much we usually love them.

My first X5 was a 2008 E70 twin turbo diesel packed with almost every extra available at the time. Over time I had the timing chain snap on that, replaced both turbos, most injectors, had it keyed from front to back in my driveway when it was 3 months old - but to this day I still Love that car. My brother-in-law has it now so its still part of the family.

I took my wife's 2016 F15 X5 in for 4 new tyres yesterday so she was driving mine for the first time herself yesterday. She told me last night that when she got into hers yesterday evening she felt like she was driving a "banger" after having mine for a few hours - and hers is a highly specced 40D that cost more than mine new PSML!!!!!

Anyway, let me know how you get on, and I will let you know if I have any developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgal View Post
Hi Jason,
I am also in Meath.
Collected my x5 45e MSport two weeks ago and at that time there was no issue highlighted.
BMW connected app notified me of the issue over the weekend and I contacted the dealer.

or

Appreciate 0