BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

PCD Trek Back To ATL

Hello fellow members! I will be doing a PCD in November and was wondering if anyone here knows of a scenic route to take back to Atlanta? Not looking to take several hours out of the way but something a little more reasonable if there is one.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
It would definitely add some time, but you could take a nice drive through some mountain roads.

For example, from the Greenville area, head north until you reach highway 11. Take Highway 11 west. You could take highway 11 towards Walhalla and continue until you hit 85 South and continue to ATL. You will see some nice lakes and foothills, and you can see the mountains.

Or you could really hit the mountains by going from Walhalla toward Highlands NC (If you do this, you might find a route to Highlands by turning off before you get to Walhalla.)

Highlands is on the eastern continental divide, so you'll get some nice mountain roads. But you will be past peak leaf season.

Head out of Highlands toward Dillard GA, and continue toward Clayton. Here you can continue to Clarksville. Depending on where you are going in ATL, you could head down the eastern side of Lake Lanier, and merge back into I85. Or you could make your way over to the western side of Lake Lanier and return on GA 400.

Performance Center Delivery is great! You will love it. I did not do PCD, but I went to the Performance Center for the New Owners Track Drive (which you will be eligible for).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
It would definitely add some time, but you could take a nice drive through some mountain roads.

For example, from the Greenville area, head north until you reach highway 11. Take Highway 11 west. You could take highway 11 towards Walhalla and continue until you hit 85 South and continue to ATL. You will see some nice lakes and foothills, and you can see the mountains.

Or you could really hit the mountains by going from Walhalla toward Highlands NC (If you do this, you might find a route to Highlands by turning off before you get to Walhalla.)

Highlands is on the eastern continental divide, so you'll get some nice mountain roads. But you will be past peak leaf season.

Head out of Highlands toward Dillard GA, and continue toward Clayton. Here you can continue to Clarksville. Depending on where you are going in ATL, you could head down the eastern side of Lake Lanier, and merge back into I85. Or you could make your way over to the western side of Lake Lanier and return on GA 400.

Performance Center Delivery is great! You will love it. I did not do PCD, but I went to the Performance Center for the New Owners Track Drive (which you will be eligible for).
That's awesome! Thanks so much for the info! Also interesting about the NOTD... Never knew about that. Looking it up it feels like it's the same thing as PCD but without the delivery portion of it. Is that accurate?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post

That's awesome! Thanks so much for the info! Also interesting about the NOTD... Never knew about that. Looking it up it feels like it's the same thing as PCD but without the delivery portion of it. Is that accurate?
It is different from PCD in several ways. You don't get a hotel, for one.
But the real difference is that in PCD, they let you drive the same model you bought (presumably an X5 if you are posting here). But in the NOTD, you will drive other BMWs. You will have a choice of 4 or 5 that are different than the one you bought. The exception is that you will drive an X5 on the off-road course. But then you head to the track and can drive a variety of cars. On the day I went, we drove an M760i (12 cylinder), an X4M Competition, an M4, and an M40i convertible. Then we did a hot lap in an M5 Competition (instructor driven). It was a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I did the same thing as you last January. I followed Scenic highway 11. Depending on how much time you want to add you could take this from Greenville to just past lake Hartwell and then you hop back on 85. However if time is not a concern you can veer off of it around lake Hartwell and take North GA mountain roads back. Get on Google maps and experiment with all the different options.

https://www.scenic11.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Divert up to the NC and TN state line and do the tail of the dragon. Well known. It is near me so I am biased. You will love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Tons of choices depending on how far out of the way. I'd recommend adding a day. I am mostly familiar with upstate SC, and western NC, not so much the TN or GA sections but I've been on a few of those roads. Choices are:

276 north past Caesars Head to Brevard, 64 west past several waterfalls thru Franklin and Haysville NC, than 76 south to ATL.

Same but take 28 north from Franklin to 129, do the Tail of the Dragon and take 68 and 60 back into GA.

Take 123 west thru Clemson to 28 north to Highlands NC to pick up 64 west past the waterfalls and the choice above at Franklin NC

Or 276 north to 11 past Table Rock or just follow 123 and 255 all the way to Helen GA and 129 or 19 back to ATL

Highlands or Franklin NC have good hotel choices to break up the drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for the replies. Certainly need to consider an extra day for the trip now!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

take lots of pics

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #10
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
take lots of pics
Oh, I intend to. Going to buy a GoPro now just for this
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      10-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
Oh, I intend to. Going to buy a GoPro now just for this
nice! Im jealous. Ive been wanting to go on a road trip bad these past few months. Def given the time of the year, the views should be fantastic. Enjoy and be safe

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0