BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

Build question - something seems wrong

The dealer I'm going through said "there is no paperwork to process" since they have to build the car first. They won't do the paperwork until I pick up the vehicle since it has no VIN. Is this correct?

They require a $2k deposit and credit check, but it seems like that's it. We've agreed on everything, discount, incentives, etc, but right now it's just via email.

When you build a car to lease, knowing it might take a month or 2 to arrive, do you really wait to process all the paperwork?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeva381 View Post
The dealer I'm going through said "there is no paperwork to process" since they have to build the car first. They won't do the paperwork until I pick up the vehicle since it has no VIN. Is this correct?

They require a $2k deposit and credit check, but it seems like that's it. We've agreed on everything, discount, incentives, etc, but right now it's just via email.

When you build a car to lease, knowing it might take a month or 2 to arrive, do you really wait to process all the paperwork?
I can't answer in a general manner. But I just went through this process. In my case, we did no paperwork or credit app until the car was built. Submitted build spec, they entered, paid 1k deposit, received production number that day, and then vin when car went into production a couple days later.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

When did you do the paperwork? When you received the VIN or when you took delivery? I know you can’t fully accept or finalize until you’re in possession of the car, but I would think you do some type of contract when you have a VIN. If I’m the dealer I would want to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
When did you do the paperwork? When you received the VIN or when you took delivery? I know you can’t fully accept or finalize until you’re in possession of the car, but I would think you do some type of contract when you have a VIN. If I’m the dealer I would want to do that.
Did credit app after car was built. Lease paperwork the day after the dealer received the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

You should tell him you need a build sheet that shows the production number . It will show priority 1 Customer sold .

They Will only be able to provide this if they have an allocation.

But yeah, if you are talking about any other paperwork such as title/ registration : Odometer disclosure etc requires the car to be present as far as i know .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Did credit app after car was built. Lease paperwork the day after the dealer received the car.
Got it ok....so I guess that’s close to what the dealer is telling me. Just seems odd to me that the dealer wouldn’t want some kind of signed purchase order with all the details. I would if I was them!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Got it ok....so I guess that’s close to what the dealer is telling me. Just seems odd to me that the dealer wouldn’t want some kind of signed purchase order with all the details. I would if I was them!
Agreed. I guess they figure someone will buy it if the person who ordered it doesn't. I hear ya, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I just realized you are going through a broker . The dealer and the broker probably have a standard process they know they can follow for each other's customers. They probably are trying to keep things simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yup. Using a broker. And all of our details are in email (so not just verbal). However I know BMW is offering a $500 lease incentive, which I know isn’t that great, but if it goes away who’s to say I get it? Just an example, I don’t think they’d get rid of the incentive, maybe just better!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:02 AM   #10
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
you don't do the final paper work until you pick up the car. if the lease program is better at the time of delivery, you can actually use the new lease program (money factor, incentives, etc) instead of the one you originally agreed to. the dealer still makes the same amount of money on the sale so they don't care. at least my dealer doesn't.

you will get two documents. one if a lease agreement that shows sale price, down payment, due on delivery and monthlies.

the other document shows options you chose for the build and production number. for reference, here is mine (private info redacted, duh)
View post on imgur.com

the red squares show where the production number is, which until your car is manufactured, serves as your car's identifier.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you will get two documents. one if a lease agreement that shows sale price, down payment, due on delivery and monthlies.
Thanks for this info! When you say I will get 2 documents, when do I get these? When the dealer places the order for production?

I'm doing PDS pick up in Spartanburg, just curious if I do paperwork with the dealer first in PA (I live in NC)?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
Just going through the same process with a broker. There really isn't any other paperwork to process for the most part. You get your production #, and the deposit and credit app proves that you are a serious customer. Since you can still back out on delivery, there really isn't anything else that you can sign.

And as it with a broker, I got another document directly from the broker that detailed the particulars of the deal, and was confirmed by the selling dealer. I'd imagine these days and for the last several months that the amount of paperwork has decreased that you would normally need upfront, and your e-mails become the proof on the deal you agreed to. Normally in an in person deal, you would need some type of proof that you agreed to some pricing parameters.

This is my first time using a broker, and I can say the process is much easier and with less grey area. You are agreeing to the percentage off, in my case 10%, plus the incentives available at the time of signing, and what your buy rate and fees are. Then BMW provides the rate lock. At this time, it is hoped that the numbers will improve slightly for Nov/Dec, either with more incentives or a better residual/money factor, then you will get those incentives, plus the agreed upon percentage off and buy rate/fee structure.

I'm also hoping that they sneak back in the soft close doors, but that's more wishful thinking than any expectation.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So the dealer said they wanted to go ahead and "get this in" so I told them to order it. I asked if I'll get some type of allocation number or build number and I haven't heard back. What should I be expecting? I know we won't have a VIN until it's built. I'm doing the performance center pick up in SC.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #14
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

If they have an allocation, they should give you a production number after they enter the order in the system. You can use that number to track the build. If they can't give you a production number yet, they don't have a current allocation and you will be waiting until they get one.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

And even after you get a production number, you don't get assigned a VIN until a little later down the production process. You sound pretty far from all of that still. Doesn't sound like the dealer is swapping your build in to an existing dealer stock order.
Appreciate 0