GReg
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projax65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil284 View Post
I mentioned other dealers have booked in X5s to my dealer - and they said this was rubbish! No fix has yet been issued by BMW UK so unless the dealer is guessing a fix will be released at that point. My 40d is waiting for the fix at the dealer - and I've not seen it yet!
Hi - I actually went on BMW.co.uk and went to the recall section under owners / recall information. Hopefully the screenshot shows on this post (i removed my VIN) but my vehicle was on there. The Dealer did have to make some enquiries when I called them but confirmed it was an open technical enhancement for my vehicle..... I only looked because I saw this issue on the Forum which was helpful. I hope I dont regret saying this but i've done 1700+ miles so far and the car is superb, no signs of any issues... (fingers crossed)
Quote:
Quote:
I mentioned other dealers have booked in X5s to my dealer - and they said this was rubbish! No fix has yet been issued by BMW UK so unless the dealer is guessing a fix will be released at that point. My 40d is waiting for the fix at the dealer - and I've not seen it yet!
Hi - I actually went on BMW.co.uk and went to the recall section under owners / recall information. Hopefully the screenshot shows on this post (i removed my VIN) but my vehicle was on there. The Dealer did have to make some enquiries when I called them but confirmed it was an open technical enhancement for my vehicle..... I only looked because I saw this issue on the Forum which was helpful. I hope I dont regret saying this but i've done 1700+ miles so far and the car is superb, no signs of any issues... (fingers crossed)
Problem for those waiting for cars is we aren't being given any information on what the fix is and when we will get our cars. I guess they have to work the supply chain to fix cars that are already in the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:23 AM   #24
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

I called the dealer again today and no updates available regarding a timeline.....
Anyone heard anything different?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:29 AM   #25
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russh View Post
I called the dealer again today and no updates available regarding a timeline.....
Quote:
I've given my dealer a deadline end of Oct. that will be 5 weeks overdue
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #26
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

I am e mailing now to do the same. I am guessing they also had no further information to share.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #27
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am e mailing now to do the same. I am guessing they also had no further information to share.
Quote:
I have had bugger all by way of communications. I have had to call and chase them. I've even called BMW UK and complained to them. They don't give a toss.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #28
Phil284
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghorne View Post
I have had bugger all by way of communications. I have had to call and chase them. I've even called BMW UK and complained to them. They don't give a toss.
I had contact from my dealer this morning saying a cable needs to be changed. It's been ordered, once done it will be released to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #29
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had contact from my dealer this morning saying a cable needs to be changed. It's been ordered, once done it will be released to me.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well how long is a piece of cable🙄
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #30
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

Angry

I am guessing this is the battery positive cable.
I cant even get that information out of my dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #31
kyle_uk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BMW has a fix

Got a call from my dealership to say BMW has a fix and it should be done in the next 8 days. That includes the delivery and finding time to fit it.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Related in a way...I worked for Raytheon for most of my career. One of the factories had a long-term employee whose job was to test the high voltage cables on one of the pieces of equipment that went into a radar. She retired and the person that replaced her was making an error when checking them during her test. To make getting a continuity check easier, she was using a piercing probe rather than the contact one - it made things easier when you might want three hands. Once the items were installed, if there was any humidity, they arced and failed. It took awhile to figure out what the problem was since there's always a delay between building the part and actually having it installed in the end item. Then, you have to do the analysis to figure out what went wrong, and then, how to fix it.

Give BMW a little credit. Communications may not be their biggest asset, but they're trying to prevent a failure for the end user. I'd rather have them deliver a reliable vehicle than one that cold fail once they discover a problem. If it's a safety issue, especially.

I was one of the first to order a 45e at my dealership, so my time from order to delivery wasn't all that long. And, being in the USA, that model wasn't available when things were severely impacted by the virus. I think that I ended up with one of their normal slots that was converted to my vehicle. It was about 2.5-months from order to delivery, and some of that was because the interior option was backordered. Also, I was not upset because I wanted the Apple key functionality, and that wasn't scheduled to be cut into production until July for the X5 (other models got it earlier).
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      10-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
BMW BFG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 AUDI A3

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Hi all,

I'm due to pick up my car Monday, got the call today to confirm and I asked about recalls and they said it had none.

I wonder if when the car was made makes a difference?

(X6 30d mht made week 35 /30th August)
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BFG View Post
I wonder if when the car was made makes a difference?
(X6 30d mht made week 35 /30th August)
Absolutely...parts are either made as needed, or delivered from the vendors as needed so there is very little space utilized in the factory for just storage. Some things are spot checked individually, some are sampled, i.e., one out of x. Then, after the car is built, each one gets a systems check to verify everything as a complete thing works. It's not common, but some things don't show up until they have been used for awhile. Once a failure is identified, the factory needs to check to see if it is a one-off, or a systemic one, and identify the vendor, and the batch to check on other vehicles made with parts from that same batch.

In the factory in Munich, they said they have about 200-tractor trailers delivered throughout the day at about 5-minute intervals. It would be more, but they only run two shifts at that plant because the city grew around them, and to keep the noise down overnight, they stop, at least those things that make noise like lots of trucks coming in and potentially idling for a bit through the wee hours of the night.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #35
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had e mail from dealer saying they have a fix and the part they are ordering and waiting for is a "special cable tie" so could be completed next week hopefully
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just had e mail from dealer saying they have a fix and the part they are ordering and waiting for is a "special cable tie" so could be completed next week hopefully
Quote:
AT LAST!!! Just had an update that I should be able to pick up the car next Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #37
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice....looks like they have finally got things moving
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #38
BMW BFG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Really glad it's sort and there is a fix - hoping it was done in the factory 🤞 I'm still nervous about Monday.... sorry to make this about me 🤣
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 01:35 AM   #39
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really glad it's sort and there is a fix - hoping it was done in the factory 🤞 I'm still nervous about Monday.... sorry to make this about me 🤣
Quote:
I thought I'd let you go first - just in case 🤣
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #40
Projax65
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 40d

Quote:
Hi. I took delivery of a 40d with Mild Hybryd and 48v on 8th Sept. Just checked and I have a Technical enhancement (Recall no STOP020783)... I booked it in for Mon 12th Oct, they didnt have a lot of detail but said was battery cable related and I will get car back same day... I'll update progress
Just to update, car was in Dealer today, replaced starter cable they had it for approx 5 hours incl drop off and pick up etc... I cant tell any difference
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #41
BMW BFG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Hi all,

I didn't have to wait at all, mine arrives Saturday into the dealership and was driving my 2pm today.

So seems the issue has been rectified in the factory (or close to)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 04:04 AM   #42
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer sent me a couple of pic's of my car waiting for the rework to be completed...still no date...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #43
Russh
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a call, work complete & picking car up this Friday
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #44
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Picked my car up yesterday - love it - but going back already for a bloody problem.
Appreciate 0