BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

Sending a text when using IDrive 2021 X5

I just purchased my first BMW. My X5 is awesome. This is my first post, so please direct me to the right place if this is not the appropriate thread. (Or if this is a really stupid question)
I am trying to use Idrive 7 instead of Apple Car Play, so that I can learn the differences. Is it correct that you cannot send a text message while using the most recent IDrive software? (I seem to be able to receive texts while using Idrive but not send).

Thank you
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      10-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

following
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoffee View Post
I just purchased my first BMW. My X5 is awesome. This is my first post, so please direct me to the right place if this is not the appropriate thread. (Or if this is a really stupid question)
I am trying to use Idrive 7 instead of Apple Car Play, so that I can learn the differences. Is it correct that you cannot send a text message while using the most recent IDrive software? (I seem to be able to receive texts while using Idrive but not send).

Thank you
Yes that is correct. In Idrive 6 it was possible to activate Siri by long pushing the microphone button on the steering wheel and say read last message or send message.

In Idrive 7 it has to be connected in CarPlay mode to have this functionality. And actually that was the only reason for me to connected in CarPlay mode.

Edit. Sorry misread your post. You can't activate Siri with the steering wheel button in Idrive mode. And this is how I sent my texts.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes that is correct. In Idrive 6 it was possible to activate Siri by long pushing the microphone button on the steering wheel and say read last message or send message.

In Idrive 7 it has to be connected in CarPlay mode to have this functionality. And actually that was the only reason for me to connected in CarPlay mode.

Edit. Sorry misread your post. You can't activate Siri with the steering wheel button in Idrive mode. And this is how I sent my texts.
Thank you. I did come to that conclusion. I was initially afraid that I was going to lose the other Idrive 7 functionality. I am glad that I did not.
Appreciate 0