BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

Tint Question

Hi All, has anyone tinted their G05 with Huper Optik brand ceramic tint? Were there issues with Comfort Access? Also how does the color look? I’ve only had experience with 3M Crystallline which has more of a brown/amber look when in the cabin.

Finally, has anyone tried to tint their Sky Lounge Pano Roof? Curious if lighting was impacted and if there were regrets. Would prefer a darker tint for better heat rejection but if it severely affects the ability to see the lights then I might go with a Llumar Air 80 which is practically clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I'd like to know too.

I tinted my e46 with Huper Optik and I liked the color, but it's pretty much impossible to find in CA now.

I had 3M on my previous cars, but I wasn't overly fond of the color. It looked more blue to me. Plus, I worry about it's durability (I've heard they increased thickness so it's more durable and I never had a problem with my cars, but still).

I currently have Spectra Photosync and Xpel Prime XR Plus on my two cars. I prefer both to 3M Crystalline, but Photosync is too expensive for what people are charging. When my 45e comes in, I'm going with the Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Really no one has any tint experience with HO or their Sky Lounge?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Have no intention on tinting my sky lounge when I receive my 45e thats on order ... however will be doing front driver/passenger color match to rears & 50% on windshield in Formula One Pinnacle film.

I hear good things about Huper Optik ... but have always used F1 for the last 6 cars or so ... so sticking with what I know I like
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
Really no one has any tint experience with HO or their Sky Lounge?
I'm not that surprised. It's already rare enough to find a X5 with Sky Lounge. Then, those limited owners have to be on this board. Then the population gets smaller for those who tint (since car already comes with privacy glass). Get down to HO, which is a RARE tint to find, and the odds of finding someone who tinted their car with HO, let alone tinting their moonroof, has to be miniscule. It's very likely there's literally no one who's done it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I'm not that surprised. It's already rare enough to find a X5 with Sky Lounge. Then, those limited owners have to be on this board. Then the population gets smaller for those who tint (since car already comes with privacy glass). Get down to HO, which is a RARE tint to find, and the odds of finding someone who tinted their car with HO, let alone tinting their moonroof, has to be miniscule. It's very likely there's literally no one who's done it.
Lol fair enough. I didn’t know that HO is rare. Any insights as to why? Some literature describes it as being better than 3M Crystalline which is another brand I’m considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

One nice thing about Crystalline 20 or even 40 is that it matches the color of the rear windows well. It is almost spot on. The rear windows are slightly brown and not a neutral grey or charcoal.

Now from the outside, crystalline does not match the rears particularly well because of its metallic purple appearance at certain angles but from inside looking out, it is almost a perfect match to the rears.

Personally, it bothers me when the color of the front windows is different than the rears so I went for Crystalline.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
One nice thing about Crystalline 20 or even 40 is that it matches the color of the rear windows well. It is almost spot on. The rear windows are slightly brown and not a neutral grey or charcoal.

Now from the outside, crystalline does not match the rears particularly well because of its metallic purple appearance at certain angles but from inside looking out, it is almost a perfect match to the rears.

Personally, it bothers me when the color of the front windows is different than the rears so I went for Crystalline.
That’s super helpful! Thanks for the insight on the color of the back windows. I never paid attention to it during my test drives and just assumed they were the typical grey/charcoal. Guess I’ll have to look at it again when I pick up my new ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
That’s super helpful! Thanks for the insight on the color of the back windows. I never paid attention to it during my test drives and just assumed they were the typical grey/charcoal. Guess I’ll have to look at it again when I pick up my new ride.
Yeah, originally I had 3M Color Stable (CS) installed on the front windows and that tint is a charcoal grey color. From the outside, CS35 nicely matched the rear windows. But from the inside, you could clearly see that the color was different.

Most people are probably not bothered by the difference and care more about how the car looks from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol fair enough. I didn’t know that HO is rare. Any insights as to why? Some literature describes it as being better than 3M Crystalline which is another brand I’m considering.
I think HO is just rare due to marketing budgets. 3M is HUGE! Being such a huge company, they have the resources to market and get their product to be used by most installers in the world. Honestly, I think their product is ok, but pretty much mid pack.

HO was one of the first on the market, but other companies popped up or came out with their own versions and they pushed it hard. HO never did for whatever reason. Maybe lack of resources? Maybe they just concentrated on their bread and butter commercial line? Not sure. I've really only seen any presence in Texas and a few other areas in the US South. However, they're not that big in Florida and CA and the US Southwest, which generally are huge areas for tint.

I've got a soft spot for HO. My first BMW (and first luxury car) was tinted with HO, but I went through quite a bit of hassle to get it here in CA.

Crystalline in 70 is a weird bluish greenish color, unlike their darker shades. If you do use 70 (for front windows or windshield), it can look weird. They used to also be too thin and was subject to being damaged easily, although that seems to be better now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Factory glazing and tint all over except front windows. 15% 3M Ceramic:

If you look at window one (Driver's window) and window three... you will see they are a different type of glass than window two (rear passenger window) and window four (cargo area window). No way around this and if I had to do it again I would try 10% first for a better match but I do not believe 3M offers that in Ceramic. In the shade the windows all look the same it is only in direct light or certain angles are you able to tell the difference from pane to pane. Interior match is nearly identical but slightly different hue, I suspect most will not even notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

If you look at window one (Driver's window) and window three... you will see they are a different type of glass than window two (rear passenger window) and window four (cargo area window). No way around this and if I had to do it again I would try 10% first for a better match but I do not believe 3M offers that in Ceramic. In the shade the windows all look the same it is only in direct light or certain angles are you able to tell the difference from pane to pane. Interior match is nearly identical but slightly different hue, I suspect most will not even notice.
Carbon black or phytonic blue?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Tanzanite Blue II / C3Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I notice a difference. 3M's Crystalline just doesn't seem to have the color to match up well with factory tints. They have a lower line that works better colorwise, but heat rejection is the primary reason I get tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Crystaline does not go lower than 20 so I didn't go with 3MCR20. I did the 3MIR15. I don't know who offers a 10% but 3M only has a 5 as the next level down and for me that would be too dark for driving. Below is a link with photos on my X7 and LLUMAR Ceramic 15% on acoustic glazing:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=596
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #16
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

Do you think if Crystalline will color match outside better? I’m surprised to see such variation in the rears. I would’ve expected all the privacy glass to at least look uniform regardless of tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think HO is just rare due to marketing budgets. 3M is HUGE! Being such a huge company, they have the resources to market and get their product to be used by most installers in the world. Honestly, I think their product is ok, but pretty much mid pack.

HO was one of the first on the market, but other companies popped up or came out with their own versions and they pushed it hard. HO never did for whatever reason. Maybe lack of resources? Maybe they just concentrated on their bread and butter commercial line? Not sure. I've really only seen any presence in Texas and a few other areas in the US South. However, they're not that big in Florida and CA and the US Southwest, which generally are huge areas for tint.

I've got a soft spot for HO. My first BMW (and first luxury car) was tinted with HO, but I went through quite a bit of hassle to get it here in CA.

Crystalline in 70 is a weird bluish greenish color, unlike their darker shades. If you do use 70 (for front windows or windshield), it can look weird. They used to also be too thin and was subject to being damaged easily, although that seems to be better now.
If 3M is mid pack, what brand would you consider high end? I thought the top of the line was 3M and HO.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #18
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Spectra Photosync is supposedly the best. That said, I don't notice enough of a difference to be worth the approximately $3-500 premium it costs to tint all 5 windows of a car vs very similar competitors.

Of the 3M Crystalline priced competitors, I like Xpel Prime XR Plus better. Just seems more durable (windows rubbing against rubber seals, kids scratching the film, etc) and the color more closely matches factory tint at all % levels. I like Huper a lot too, but they're just too hard to find. I put 3M Crystalline on the same level as Llumar and those brands.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #19
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Spectra Photosync is supposedly the best. That said, I don't notice enough of a difference to be worth the approximately $3-500 premium it costs to tint all 5 windows of a car vs very similar competitors.

Of the 3M Crystalline priced competitors, I like Xpel Prime XR Plus better. Just seems more durable (windows rubbing against rubber seals, kids scratching the film, etc) and the color more closely matches factory tint at all % levels. I like Huper a lot too, but they're just too hard to find. I put 3M Crystalline on the same level as Llumar and those brands.
Thanks for the details! Never heard of Photosync until recently. Their specs are insane and blows 3M away. Definitely given me a lot of choices to look at now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #20
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’m surprised to see such variation in the rears. I would’ve expected all the privacy glass to at least look uniform regardless of tint.
Same here but they used different panes for different sections.

Quote:
Do you think if Crystalline will color match outside better?
I contacted the Tinter and they said they will gladly try other film free of charge but they too feel it is the glass itself and necessarily the film. I may take them up on their offer when I return.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

I'm been using Formula One Ceramic tint for over a decade on multiple cars. It is good quality and I have zero reason to try anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #22
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

I am assuming the privacy glass (rear windows) that comes from factory do not offer any UV protection or heat reduction? So do you guys just tint the front windows leave the rear windows as is?
Appreciate 0