BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have to say I find it hilarious that they are called “Comfort” seats as they’re absolutely anything but comfortable. I hated them on the M50d that I had on extended test drive which is why I spec’d the sports seats when I ordered my M50i. They are vastly more comfortable but then it may be I got used to the seats in my M4 CP (as I love the support from the side bolsters that the Comfort seats lack).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #24
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I have to say I find it hilarious that they are called “Comfort” seats as they’re absolutely anything but comfortable. I hated them on the M50d that I had on extended test drive which is why I spec’d the sports seats when I ordered my M50i. They are vastly more comfortable but then it may be I got used to the seats in my M4 CP (as I love the support from the side bolsters that the Comfort seats lack).
Mine has the comfort plus pack and the side bolsters are electric. They retract back when the door is opened like the steering wheel retracts and move back to the set position when the car is started. The seats don’t don’t get me riled to much, I’ve had worse. Like I said, you sit on them, a good seat makes you feel more involved with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:21 AM   #25
Atchoom
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Same issue with M-Sport seats... took me a full week of daily changes in the seats to find something appropriate. painful pressure points on the legs (external) after some time. Side cushion on the seating part are too stiff. Upper part is ok.
My tip : lower the seat - the higher the worse it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:29 AM   #26
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Ive found that tilting the base upwards at the front and the back further back than I would normally think helps. So imagine sitting on a chair and titling it backwards on to two legs. I think that means your weight is then spread across your lower back rather than straight down into your hips and upper thighs. YMMV of course!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #27
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Ive found that tilting the base upwards at the front and the back further back than I would normally think helps. So imagine sitting on a chair and titling it backwards on to two legs. I think that means your weight is then spread across your lower back rather than straight down into your hips and upper thighs. YMMV of course!
willing to try anything tbf. i even purchased these high tech gel cushions to protect my right thigh. needless to say it didn't work. one thing mentioned was the piping on certain seats is very hard, i think that has something to do with it. im not a jeans wearing guy, but would imagine jeans would offer some protection against it digging into the thigh. personal i think its a perfect storm scenario, as it sits perfectly on my IT band on my thigh, which is painful for 90% of people anyway. give it a try, did your fingers into your IT band, you'll hate me for it
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #28
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Have had the car since First week of Feb. took longer than other cars to set seats and still not totally comfortable. I have Merion/comfort/ventilated and seem to have similar feelings as others here. I also sensed there was something with the gas pedal angle but couldn't put my finger on it. glad to hear others seeing the same thing.

I'm finding discomfort in my right leg thigh/hip area. my fat a$$ may be a bit too wide i guess.

I think someone hit it earlier when they said you're sitting on them instead of in them. soft/hard isn't the problem. I had a 911 race car for many years and the race seat isn't exactly soft. but, you were so much "into" the seat/car it was quite comfortable. 6 pt harnesses also help keep you nice and snug!

My adaptive sport seats in my 911 turbo were the best seats I ever had. Did many 10-12 hour drives and never felt sore or fatigued when getting out. maybe i'm just getting old.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #29
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Yeah, it’s hard to pin down, but for me it’s definitely the gas pedal or the gas pedal in conjunction with the seating position. I can’t tell precisely.

I think the major difference is how the gas pedal is connected and/or the angle and pressure. My previous car had the pedal attached from the top. This one is attached at the bottom (like all BMWs I guess). It’s a huge difference in how force is applied to the pedal itself in terms of how the leg and foot are used. The pedal rotation and movement are different. Just not use to it I guess, but I definitely prefer the top attachment of my Audi and my other car is the same, top attached. I think this also contributes to how light it feels. I could rest my foot on the previous car without really activating the accelerator. You can’t do this on these types of pedals, top attached you can. It makes it uncomfortable as you’re always having to use your leg muscle.

Another thing is that the pedal spacing is wider in this car by a few inches versus my other car. It’s always ideal to position your foot so you can swap between the gas and brake without lifting your heel. The spacing just requires an awkward leg position relative to the body.

And of course the seat is uncomfortable. I narrowed it down to the thigh support. It bulges up higher than the seat itself even in its lowest position. I sat in my other car and remember my previous car and they were all completely flat between the rear of the seat cushion and the thigh part.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #30
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAJ View Post
Is just can't seem to set a comfortable driving position! Upper back and bottom of thigh seem to be most uncomfortable.
I'm around 6 foot tall and 95kg / 210lb.

Any tips / tricks appreciated!
These are good basic settings I find work every time in any car.

Appreciate 1
GordoCLM205.50
      07-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #31
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

In my experience, if you can't find a comfortable seating position with the Comfort seats, you just aren't trying hard enough to find the right setting or you are the veritable 'princess and the pea'. I find the Comfort seats to be the most comfortable seats in any car I've ever owned. When I get a loaner for service, I can tell the minute I get in that the loaner doesn't have comfort seats -- the difference is immediately apparent.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #32
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I had the same feeling. It took me some time to get it better position.

It is an suv so the sitting position is more upright than in a 5 series. That makes a difference.

To have a good position for my knee on the seat and foot on the gas I had to put the seat too high for my feeling or too far back. I found a optimal position in between also playing with the steering wheel position.

The feeling of sitting on it I had too.
Like mentioned here before. The lower the seat position the more it tilts back. Second I tilt the seat cushion front up almost to the max position. These two made me sit more in it. Than by tightening the bolsters on the back side also made a better fit. I found that it made a difference putting the head rest part more extended and than putting the seat back more upright. This way the bolsters are more effective.

So it took a lot of searching and going to extreme positions to feel what was happening.

I am happy with the current position but it is not the same as in a 5 series.

I don't have problems with my iliotibial band and the seat. Sometimes with my hamstrings on the right knee. For long drives I use CC . This helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

I was at the dealership yesterday to grab a few things in the parts department and while I was there I took the opportunity to sit in other new BMWs and the one thing I noticed immediately was how much softer the seats are.

I sat in a new 5 series, 7 series and x3m and all were soft and comfortable. None of these had, from what I can recall, messaging seats and I didn’t bother to look if these had any other seat options (I probably should have).

I’m wondering if the seat message is the reason why the seat cushions feels noticeably stiffer and, as a result, uncomfortable. If that is the case, there’s some sad irony in this entire situation: a function meant to improve driver comfort is an indirect cause of driver discomfort, at least for me.

I’m curious if those people having issues also have messaging seats? In any case, seat stiffness is definitely an issue, and I can only hope it loosens and softens up as time goes by.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #34
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I don't have problems with my iliotibial band and the seat. Sometimes with my hamstrings on the right knee. For long drives I use CC . This helps a lot.
I also have problems with my right hamstring for long drives. What is CC?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #35
BigFix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

CC - cruise control?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFix View Post
CC - cruise control?
Yes cruise controle so I can reposition my leg
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:40 AM   #37
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I am also resurrecting this old thread, but I wanted to share that this thread was one of the reasons I didn't go for multi-contour seats, and I actually went with base seats. Does anyone know if the seat construction is same regardless of material? I have sensatec seats and I think it feels like there is no support and there is a gap on my lumbar area, so I am feeling like I have to spend extra effort to stabilize my body. My wife said the same thing about her seat, we came from Q7 with regular leather seats, but they were softer due to perforation and definitely wider seats.

Since my main complaint is the lumbar area, I am wondering if one of those amazon or ebay lumbar support cushions could help? It's kinda ghetto to have those on $70k+ car but today after driving 3 hours I felt like getting roll of papertowel like the Car Wow guy and put it on my lower back. I just want to add though, if I sit completely upright like new driver sitting ON trying to see over hood, the pain dissipates. This is how I figured out it was exactly lumbar area, lower back. Tilting the base forward/back and extending thigh support helps a little but does not eliminate the problem.

Brake padal is also too far to the left, I used to always be able to rest my knee on the center panel wall, but now it seems like I need to extend my foot to reach the brake. The most driver friendly one for pedals is Mercedes, I think there is almost no gap between pedals (not sure if they still do that).
      12-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #38
motinio1@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 2020

I'm having the same issue here!
After driving the S5 I got used to an extremely comfortable seat I would drive for hours, with the X5 I'm having a lot of issues finding a correct position, and often I feel some pain on my Neck/Shoulders...Is there something I'm missing in the setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #39
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
I'm 6'5" so hear you!! I came from a G30 where it took me ages to find quite the right seat position. It would feel fine at first but after a longer period would cause my hips to really ache. One time I had to stop the car and allow OH to drive it was that painful (unheard of!). But once I found the right position...happily sit 5 or 6 hours straight.

I think I'm still finding the right position still in the G05, but my suggestion would be that in the G30 I found the seat needs to tip back slightly (imagine a 90 degree angle, and tip it back). It was only a small adjustment that made the difference as well.
Yes, I found the same to be true, tilt back slightly and problem solved. I usually vary the seat tilt every couple hours on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #40
BMW2021X5MSPORT
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Let's bring this back to life. BMW X5. Venesca Leather. Comfort seats no ventilation or massage. Tried many positions over one years. Bottom of seat sinks in too deep. Sitting in a hole. Creates a massive amount of pain.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #41
Eziggy
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2021X5MSPORT View Post
Let's bring this back to life. BMW X5. Venesca Leather. Comfort seats no ventilation or massage. Tried many positions over one years. Bottom of seat sinks in too deep. Sitting in a hole. Creates a massive amount of pain.
After 2 years, I still haven't found a comfortable seating position that doesn't create some pressure point issues. We have 2020 with Merino leather with multi-contour seats, no ventilation and massage. Love the car otherwise (other than the reverse assist accelerating itself into a wall, but that's a different topic).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #42
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

I miss my V8 E70 xDrive.
I did not have sports seats, but it was so comfortable with thigh support up high.

F16 M-Sport was the worst.
My loaded G05 is no better.

Some genius had screwed things up.
Less adjustment leverage…why is it better?!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #43
Eziggy
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i mSport

If you look at the seat from the side it is sitting on an incline with the front slanted upwards with no adjustment to move the front of the seat down (only up). You have to bring the whole seat all the way up to flatten seat cushion out a tad.

I recently test drove a 540i and you can at least move the front part of the seat down to relieve pressure points. This must be a BMW SUV thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #44
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

I'm 2 weeks into ownership, I've finally found a comfortable seating position!!

Depending on what shoes/jacket I'm wearing, I still might adjust it some more though.
Appreciate 0