10-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Also, I tend to start accelerating earlier, the ACC waits till the car in front is completely on the other lane where I typically would start accelerating a bit earlier
I do the same. When it is obvious the car in front is moving to the other lane and is more than halfway I gently start accelerating (not the flashing head lights and bumper pushing kind) to drive more fluently.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Try adjusting the following distance when using the adaptive cruise control. If you have it set short, your buffer is smaller, and it seems to react at what I consider late if a vehicle comes into range.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Try adjusting the following distance when using the adaptive cruise control. If you have it set short, your buffer is smaller, and it seems to react at what I consider late if a vehicle comes into range.
In Belgium if you don't set it on shortest distance, drivers start to take over on the right side. But indeed braking is more fluent with longer following distance.

Especially at highway speed and longer distances accelerating is not as adaptive and fluent as I would like it to be.

For braking it is OK but for accelerating it takes to long to react because the car has to be completely out of the lane.

If you do it your self you would start accelerating earlier.

So this is actually what I do.

I keep ACC on and start accelerating gently myself until the car is out of the way and ACC takes over again and accelerates further to the set speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #26
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, in many places in the US, people will cut in if you leave a safe gap to the vehicle ahead as well. The safety guideline is to be 2-seconds behind the vehicle in front. The manual says that the ACC will adjust its gap based on your speed, adjusted by the setting...haven't driven it enough to tell if that's true or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, in many places in the US, people will cut in if you leave a safe gap to the vehicle ahead as well. The safety guideline is to be 2-seconds behind the vehicle in front. The manual says that the ACC will adjust its gap based on your speed, adjusted by the setting...haven't driven it enough to tell if that's true or not.
Yes that is correct.

ACC and distance alert are perfect for indicating a safe braking distance. And for me that is OK. But drivers around me start to get nervous because I leave to much space.

The distance the ACC keeps is speed specific. So it is less at 30 km/h than at 120 km/h for the same distance setting to be able to brake safely
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
True, and if you do the math on how much longer your journey takes because of this, you'll find that it's negligible.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
True, and if you do the math on how much longer your journey takes because of this, you'll find that it's negligible.
And, you're more likely statistically, to actually arrive!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:47 AM   #30
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
And, you're more likely statistically, to actually arrive!
Just as X5 45e says, doesn't need to be the bumper pushing lights flashing kind, just smoother flowing traffic rather than the constant accelerating and braking from the cruise control.

I find that the car waits so long to start accelerating that by the time it does the car in front thinks you actually don't want to overtake, cuts back in front and the ACC slams the brakes again to regain safe distance.

Regardless of time saved or safety in general, this is very annoying and also frustrating for the cars behind that don't understand this driving style at all...

But there are certainly examples of SUVs driving in a way the is rather doubtful in terms of defensive driving style.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, in many places in the US, people will cut in if you leave a safe gap to the vehicle ahead as well. The safety guideline is to be 2-seconds behind the vehicle in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Sorry guys, nobody gets in - this is how to properly drive in traffic

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
Wan79
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 45E

My 45e had ac issue on day 1. After 2 weeks ac is completely dead.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #33
JORGEOS1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45E

x5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Yes, that seems to be the same issue. They replaced a battery control module, and it has been working great since then (April 20th). I drive and charge it pretty much every day. It is interesting that you had the problem after 2,000 km as well.

I had the tail lamp replaced twice (I am on the third now) under warranty. I have had no cracks in the plastic the last 4 months.

Sorry for the late reply. Have you had it fixed by now?
Hi jasper, my case is kind of unique, I had the car bulletproof and now the dealer is refusing warranty because they said that the ballistic window had and impact in the battery which is completely absorb. initially while I take legal action I had to pay for the replacement parts but they are in backorder from Germany and supposedly they will be available in the next 30 days. known your case give me more power to go against them legally showing that this has happened to someone else with the same vehicle, if is not tu much to ask, can I have the VIN of your car show them that this a warranty issue, it will be a lot of help science they are asking me for 15,000usd for the repair bill. thanks for any help you can give me
bellow are the parts the are asking to change
Attached Images

Last edited by JORGEOS1; 10-18-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:19 AM   #34
BMWNordics
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Only issue so far is that the car is convinced the brake fluid is from 2001 and tells me about it every time I start it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

That service reminder can be updated to closer to reality, but if reset, it would take the value of the day you actually reset it. Sounds like the factory setup things a bit out of order or skipped a step. The dealer might be able to resolve that the next time you're there!

I wonder if you turned the auto time (from GPS) off, set the date to the actual build date, then reset the brake service, if it would then work right for you. That would be easy to try yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #36
BMWNordics
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
That service reminder can be updated to closer to reality, but if reset, it would take the value of the day you actually reset it. Sounds like the factory setup things a bit out of order or skipped a step. The dealer might be able to resolve that the next time you're there!

I wonder if you turned the auto time (from GPS) off, set the date to the actual build date, then reset the brake service, if it would then work right for you. That would be easy to try yourself.
Thx, I did manage to reset it... but forgot to set the date.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #37
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW, at least in the states, relies on condition based servicing to decide when to perform functions under warranty. Resetting without actually performing the service could make getting any needed related work done under warranty harder, but hopefully, they'll follow through. I do not know the warranty conditions for your market, so this may be a mute point.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #38
Fetz
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 xdrive 45e

grid power insuffcient

My brand new x5 xrive 45e which i received mid September, arrive with empty battery when i picked up car, which I thought was a it strange. Tried to charge with onboard charger and got message "insufficient grid power" then i used the level 2 charge from my house, same problem and same problem persisted at public charge station.
brought it back to dealer 2 days after i picked up the new car, 40 miles.. and verdict, charge component doesn't work, ac is broken and some other cables, connectors.. service needed advice from Germany, waiting for parts.. over 4 weeks now.. no fix !! 40 Mile car !! brand spanking new.. talked to bmw customer service and requested a replacement of this obviously perceived lemon.. and answer.. no.. we have to wait til it's fixed.. I am speechless and shocked.... why would BMW want the word out that a car comes off the line and doesn't work properly on day one.. you would think that's what quality control is made for
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #39
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Lemon laws are not a national thing, so you need to look into what the requirements are in your state. In some, it's the days out of service, in others, it's the number times they try to fix the problem, and others, it can be a combination of the two.

I do not know if charging is part of the QA test, but it sounds like it should be!

My dealer had mine on an EVSE and charging (well, it was already charged) when I went to pick it up. That sounds like something the selling/delivering dealer should have checked prior to delivery. BMW pays the dealer a certain amount to do this. Yours may have dropped the ball.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #40
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

What's so bad about fixing a broken car part?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:12 AM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetz View Post
My brand new x5 xrive 45e which i received mid September, arrive with empty battery when i picked up car, which I thought was a it strange. Tried to charge with onboard charger and got message "insufficient grid power" then i used the level 2 charge from my house, same problem and same problem persisted at public charge station.
brought it back to dealer 2 days after i picked up the new car, 40 miles.. and verdict, charge component doesn't work, ac is broken and some other cables, connectors.. service needed advice from Germany, waiting for parts.. over 4 weeks now.. no fix !! 40 Mile car !! brand spanking new.. talked to bmw customer service and requested a replacement of this obviously perceived lemon.. and answer.. no.. we have to wait til it's fixed.. I am speechless and shocked.... why would BMW want the word out that a car comes off the line and doesn't work properly on day one.. you would think that's what quality control is made for
It should have been checked and delivered with a charged battery.

Coincidence that it wasn't? Or did the dealer knew about it and delivered it anyway?

Bad delivery service by the dealer anyway.
Appreciate 0