natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose777 View Post
Same here, Im glad I took your advice (NOT) about Tanzanite, because the color is absolutely stunning and is nothing like a different shade of blue.
It's better to see in person and hear and see images about others opinions who actually have that color.
This is the reason why we picked this color because we saw the 2020's line up and didn't like them.
We really missed out on Tartufo, but settled for Coffee Merino.
I thought you settled for Mineral White?
That was our second color of choice, but those go extremely fast!
The other problem for me is I see way too many white cars and I just
had a hard time blending in with everybody else. IMO, I bet white is close to 65%
over all other colors combine, just drive around and take notice at intersections
as it is very surprising to see so many white cars, but Mineral White in the X 5 is great.
Yes I have mineral white.

I totally agree about how common white is. I’m seeing new SUVs of all brands in white. For me, I live in a hot summer climate and wanted a light color. That is prob true for a lot of people. It doesn’t bother me, but that turquoise Subaru really caught my eye. Great color!

Plus, most car makers offer only dark colors, and white. So anyone that wants a light-color car is kinda stuck with white.

This is my first white car. My highlander is blue, but it is a lighter blue than anything available from bmw. We had to buy that car fast, and it was after the Japan earthquake, so we had to buy off the lot.

I love red-at the time we bought the highlander my existing car was a bright red Honda Odyssey. But all the red cars that year were dark maroon. If I could’ve gotten a bright red, I might’ve picked a car just for that. Despite not being light.

So, like everything about this X5, the white is kind of an experiment. I plan to trade when the warranty expires in four years, and and will know more about the luxury features, driving assist stuff, and owning a white car that sits outside under a tree.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #90
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
It’s not like I already have to pay anything The dealer already knows me and how specific I want to gear my car out and they know I can afford it so no sweat on that part. Not much news for the rest, added some more options, drive recorder, alcantara black individual roof headliner and individual shadow line (should include black grill / exhausts). Options that recently became available.

For the rest I’ll check for an exhaust line if I can get the standard replaced. Not in options list (for example m performance exhaust line). Have to look for winter setup (wheels) by time the car comes. Same for charging station so I can get it charged at home.

Up till this point the x5 45e logo’s cannot be removed (option) from trunk according to dealer. Not sure why but I think/guess it’s related to emergency services (fire department needs to know it’s a hybrid I guess). I plan to black those out in case they are in chrome.

Should become a really nice car, looking forward to it.
I asked it when I ordered it why the logo's could not be removed. You guessed it right, it's because the fire department has to know
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #91
Mongoose777
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X 5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Yes I have mineral white.

I totally agree about how common white is. I’m seeing new SUVs of all brands in white. For me, I live in a hot summer climate and wanted a light color. That is prob true for a lot of people. It doesn’t bother me, but that turquoise Subaru really caught my eye. Great color!

Plus, most car makers offer only dark colors, and white. So anyone that wants a light-color car is kinda stuck with white.

This is my first white car. My highlander is blue, but it is a lighter blue than anything available from bmw. We had to buy that car fast, and it was after the Japan earthquake, so we had to buy off the lot.

I love red-at the time we bought the highlander my existing car was a bright red Honda Odyssey. But all the red cars that year were dark maroon. If I could’ve gotten a bright red, I might’ve picked a car just for that. Despite not being light.

So, like everything about this X5, the white is kind of an experiment. I plan to trade when the warranty expires in four years, and and will know more about the luxury features, driving assist stuff, and owning a white car that sits outside under a tree.
Enjoy for many years to come.
Im switching from having a Lexus and the Toyota family for many years. Hopefully the switch to BMW will be a positive experience as Ive heard and read so many great reviews and stories about the new X5. Best of luck to ya.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #92
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
I asked it when I ordered it why the logo's could not be removed. You guessed it right, it's because the fire department has to know
I'll probably paint the logo's black though, I don't have any silver (except for details in wheels) on the outside of the car since I took individual option for blacking the rest out (grill, exhausts, window pillars)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #93
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I’ll post pictures when I have it
My X5 is currently in production: ETA mid October 2019

Added Driver Recorder, Alcantara headliner & Individual shadowline pack to the build before it went into production.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #94
vezir17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX 50m sport

just getting delivered

will be delivered next week, ind tanzanite blue is looking super, I will do more photos soon, M50D.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TurtleBoy13133.00
Unit218.50
      09-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #95
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezir17 View Post
will be delivered next week, ind tanzanite blue is looking super, I will do more photos soon, M50D.
looks great! mine is eta mid october
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #96
mjustice
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC

My new X5

Picked up after my 2016 X5 got totaled. Had to change grill to black. Works well with the Tanzanite Blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
TurtleBoy13133.00
X51990.00
      09-30-2019, 01:36 AM   #97
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjustice View Post
Picked up after my 2016 X5 got totaled. Had to change grill to black. Works well with the Tanzanite Blue.
looks great, thx for sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #98
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Anyone reading to this point may be interested in knowing a bit about the Tanzanite Blue Metallic II paint- it is a "color shifting" paint. On ours, it goes very purple when viewed from the front quarter, dark blue straight from the side, and a very metallic med blue from the rear.

If you see a video or pictures from a show car you never really see the purple because of the lighting in those places, only some highlights.

Here are some pictures that I think are accurate on my monitor which has been somewhat color-corrected by me.

This one shows the purple I see from the front quarter:
https://4-photos7.motorcar.com/new-2...476-1-1024.jpg

This video is the "normal" color from the side and other angles depending upon the lighting:

The BMW Config gives a pretty good representation of the rear-view blue on my car when you look at the front-view color of the configurator. Note the complete lack of the metallic effect in the BMW images. The flakes are a bright blue and really pop in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #99
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Anymore photos of Tanzanite?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #100
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Anymore photos of Tanzanite?
I have some non-X5 ones - it's a weird color that IMO, definitely needs either PPF & washing or ceramic. It's can take on a lot of colors when clean from turquoise in bright sunlight to black.

Here's dirty right off the boat - this is the semi-dirty look outside of sunlight:

When clean in bright sunlight it takes on a bright blue hue:

When it's clean in indirect light it takes on a dark blue look (compare with above):

The above pic shows how when super clean in indirect light it can start to go towards a dark turquoise

The closer you get when it's clean it turns into a mirage of sparkly blues

This is from last week in direct sun (wheels & tires are dirty but car is mostly clean) - you can see the turquoise popping again:

when it's not clean it's usually a dark blue or black, thus to get the tanz bang/buck you gotta keep 'er clean

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-12-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2020, 11:14 PM   #101
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I have some non-X5 ones - it's a weird color that IMO, definitely needs either PPF & washing or ceramic. It's can take on a lot of colors when clean from turquoise in bright sunlight to black.

This is from last week in direct sun (wheels & tires are dirty but car is mostly clean) - you can see the turquoise popping again:

when it's not clean it's usually a dark blue or black, thus to get the tanz bang/buck you gotta keep 'er clean
Ugh. Thanks a lot for posting these pix as a reminder of why I was so disappointed when they dropped Tanzanite as an option for the MY21 G05. I think they used to charge extra for it because you were getting multiple different paint colors when you ordered it.

That is an awesome color.
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18114.50
iconoclast7262.50
      10-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #102
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
it's a weird color that IMO, definitely needs either PPF & washing or ceramic. It's can take on a lot of colors when clean from turquoise in bright sunlight to black.
This is the issue I am having... Since it changes so many different colors I can't get a feel for it would look like most of the time. I've owned Carbon Black and I have owned Azurite as well. Both vary in hue and color depending on the light but nowhere near as much as Tanzanite.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #103
vonkobalus
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

"Tanzanite Blue" looks fantastic, it's amazing how it changes during sunlight, darkness and direct light.

However this color is so delicate and fragile that I had to do polishing directly from my dealership pickup! There were micro razes which you couldn't see if you would not pay attention but since color changes the razes were seen under certain angles. So I drove my car from dealership directly to a professional workshop to do complete polishing and complete ceramic protection + Paint Protection Foil over the hood. The man at the workshop said that he has never seen so delicate color in his entire career (20+ years) and also noted that BMW colors are worse every year. So yes, fist of all I really can not recommend "Tanzanite Blue" and if you can - protect the paint right after you get your car from the dealership. BMW will definitely have to improve their color finish quality.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #104
Fuzzy Master
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkobalus View Post
"Tanzanite Blue" looks fantastic, it's amazing how it changes during sunlight, darkness and direct light.
I agree 100%. That exactly why I waited two model years to finally order one.

Here it is on a cloudy day, where it has a much darker, slightly "purplish" hue. Followed by a picture in the same lot on a sunny day. The sunlight really makes the metal flakes "glow" and really brings out the blue in the finish.

At night it almost looks black, similar to Carbon Black.
Attached Images

07/2019.55 (since birth Oct.1,2019)-> 11/2019.70 (OTA Aug.11,2020)-> 11/2020.36 (Dealer Nov.25,2020)-> 03/2021.50 (OTA Jun.15,2021)-> 07/2021.85 (OTA Mar.1,2022)-> 07/2022.58 (OTA Dec.9,2022)-> 11/2022.60 (OTA Mar.2,2023)-> 03/2023.50 (OTA May.31,2023)-> 07/2023.35 (Dealer Aug.21,2023)-> 11/2023.50 (OTA Feb.9,2024)
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18114.50
BXdriver159.00
      10-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #105
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post
I agree 100%. That exactly why I waited two model years to finally order one.

Here it is on a cloudy day, where it has a much darker, slightly "purplish" hue. Followed by a picture in the same lot on a sunny day. The sunlight really makes the metal flakes "glow" and really brings out the blue in the finish.

At night it almost looks black, similar to Carbon Black.
Love these shots - thanks for sharing. I'm going from CB to TB - I really like the CB when it shows blue so decided that I'd give TB a try! Yours looks mega.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #106
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post
Great pics, looks stellar!

Yours is the only one I've seen where I prefer the m-sport over x-line
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #107
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Sunbathing on first Home Depot run right after purchasing it:

Appreciate 2
Unit218.50
      10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #108
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Looks sublime - 747Ms are the rarer option even though they were on all the launch cars - really like them.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #109
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Tanzanite reminds me of my San Marino Blue M4. Not on colour but in its need to be well looked after. It needs a good ceramic coat to protect it and avoid scratches, swirls and water marks.

When it’s clean it’s sublime but it needs to be kept clean and gleaming to avoid looking flat.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #110
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I agree completely. Dealer provided me with free swirls as a parting gift despite multiple requests not to "detail" the vehicle.
Once all the extra bits and pieces arrive I am going to have them installed with my detailer along with a winter-prep and window tinting.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50