BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Key Card and Cell Phone Question

I'm looking to just clear up a couple questions. My searches got me more confused and my car doesn't help either.

X5
Currently unable to use anything but a Samsung phone to use the phone as a Key?

My X5 did not come with the Card that sits in the charging spot. Does this mean my X5 is missing the ability to use this? If so what exact option am I missing?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I'm looking to just clear up a couple questions. My searches got me more confused and my car doesn't help either.

X5

My X5 did not come with the Card that sits in the charging spot. Does this mean my X5 is missing the ability to use this? If so what exact option am I missing?
From what I have gathered, for Digital Key (using phone to unlock), you need recent Samsung Galaxy phones on AT&T or T-mobile. Dealer told me it wont work on Sprint (which I don't understand how network is related).

Key card should have come with your car, ask your dealer about it! Your X5 still has the feature unless you don't have comfort access package/feature which I doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
From what I have gathered, for Digital Key (using phone to unlock), you need recent Samsung Galaxy phones on AT&T or T-mobile. Dealer told me it wont work on Sprint (which I don't understand how network is related).

Key card should have come with your car, ask your dealer about it! Your X5 still has the feature unless you don't have comfort access package/feature which I doubt.
Awesome I do and will be getting one from the dealer than!!! Thanks

Network should have nothing to do with it since its using near field transmission that is a standard industry. I'm guessing it would be on the part of how the phone OEM communicates software to hardware than..... Bummer I have a pixel 2.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

X5

Mine was a Nov 2018 build, it didn't come with a key either, dealer ordered it for me in Feb 2019 and it works nicely...have them order it for u, it's doable... they did charge me $49 for it which is BS imo
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Mine was a Nov 2018 build, it didn't come with a key either, dealer ordered it for me in Feb 2019 and it works nicely...have them order it for u, it's doable... they did charge me $49 for it which is BS imo
Same story here except my dealer didn't charge me.

You just need comfort access wireless charging.
      04-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

I have an iphone x , with sprint service and my car has comfort acess
dealer gave me the key card at the time of delivery

I can use, bmw connected app to unlock the car..
then I have to keep the key card on the charging tray in center console, i can then start and drive without the physical key...

Tested above with BMW Genius and it works well...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post
I have an iphone x , with sprint service and my car has comfort acess
dealer gave me the key card at the time of delivery

then I have to keep the key card on the charging tray in center console, i can then start and drive without the physical key...

Not sure if you really want to leave the keycard inside
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Not sure if you really want to leave the keycard inside
definitely don't leave the key card inside once you lock the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Wish this process worked better and had widespread deployment

I also have a November build with comfort access, my X5 was delivered without a key card. I've spoken with BMW National Genius support, local genius and my local service manager; there is supposed to be a program in place "soon" that will provide a complimentary key cards to those early build vehicles delivered w/o out it.

In the meantime it's my understanding that digital keys can be installed in some Samsung phones but not on those on Verizon. For some reason Verizon is blocking NFC (Near Field Communications). I purchased an "unlocked" Samsung Galaxy S9+ directly from Samsung and then installed a Verizon SIM; I was curious if I could get it to work as it was not a totally Verizon version. My results are a little mixed, in that I can start the car but not unlock the doors using phone, however I can still use the app to unlock the doors but that a bit slow, and potentially a bit risky as I'd be counting on BMW's connected services to be working - so far I always still carry my keys.

*** Update 4/29/2019 *** I traded in the Samsung S9+ for an S10+ purchasing an unlocked phone direct from Samsung and then added a Verizon SIM card; I am now able to open the doors and start the car using the NFC capabilities of the Digital key installed in the phone

It's worth noting that BMW is selling this capability as a "subscription service" complimentary for the first twelve months but at a cost after your one year delivery anniversary. Sure would hate to get locked out of my car with an expired subscription, it will be interesting to see how this works.

Your dealerships service department will need to help with the initial steps, my local dealer was not familiar with the process but I had these instructions and a service advisor completed the steps detailed below:
The customer will need the following to accomplish this:
Regular Key
Driver’s License
Samsung Smart Phone
Turn on NFC on Phone
Connected Drive Account
Connected Drive App on their Phone
Sometime after the customer has bought the car (probably during Encore would be best) they need to make an appointment with your Service Department.
Part 1
The Service Department can Scan their regular key and look at the customers Drivers License to prove that they really own the car and they are who they say they are.
The Service Department will then open up ConnectedDrive Service Cockpit and verify all the information is correct and have the customer set up a Pin. This Pin will be use to set up their Smart Phone Digital Key or if they would like to add other Smart Phone Digital Keys.
Part 2
After completing Part 1 have the customer log into their Connected Drive App on their phone and select the Activate Smart Phone or it might say Add Digital Key. You may need to logout of app and then log back in.
It will open up and the customer will enter the Pin they set up with Service.
The customer will then be prompted to download a file that will allow their phone to be used as a Digital Key.
Part 3
After Part 1 & 2 have been completed you will place the customers Samsung Smart Phone onto the wireless charge Tray in the car. Make sure you have one of the Activated Keys to the Car in the car when you do this (a regular key works best).
Next go to car (left side of I Drive Screen), then settings, and then Door Access
Next select the BMW Digital Key (at top of list) Then select Add new digital Key (I had to reboot my phone and then attempt the process a couple of times)
Congratulations you have now activated your Samsung Phone as a Digital Key. Your Phone will now function just like the Credit Card Key.

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 04-29-2019 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: updated info
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I have a galaxy s9+ on Verizon and the digital key does not work on the phone. Nor does the set ventilation timer and remote start. I don't even get the option on the menu. I have also asked the dealer why these don't work. They are researching and haven't provided an answer yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
I have a galaxy s9+ on Verizon and the digital key does not work on the phone. Nor does the set ventilation timer and remote start. I don't even get the option on the menu. I have also asked the dealer why these don't work. They are researching and haven't provided an answer yet.
From what I understand the android app version of BMW Connected does not currently offer either ventilation or remote start. Supposedly they are working on bringing those options to a future release.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
From what I understand the android app version of BMW Connected does not currently offer either ventilation or remote start. Supposedly they are working on bringing those options to a future release.
I am in Australia. build 2018.11.49. i have ventilation option (both immediate and timer) but no remote start as yet. i am running android pie on galaxy note 8.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

I had a new key card ordered for my car but it still doesnt work ..dealer said these things aren't working yet.

Same with the connected app..installed the app on my phone created an acct etc..then when it asks to enter code received in car under messages i get nothing. No code.

So net net neither the key card nor the app work for me at all. Where do i go from here any tips?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #14
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post
I had a new key card ordered for my car but it still doesnt work ..dealer said these things aren't working yet.

Same with the connected app..installed the app on my phone created an acct etc..then when it asks to enter code received in car under messages i get nothing. No code.

So net net neither the key card nor the app work for me at all. Where do i go from here any tips?
I do not mean to be rude but have you checked you are entering the correct VIN. I accidently transposed two digits and did not realise for a day.

Also apparently there is a password issue if you set up the account from the app. The password protocol on the app lets you have a simple password like Hello1, whereas that is not sufficient for the protocol on the website and appare tly causes issues. At least this is according to another member on here. Make sure you have a complex password with at least one capital, a digit and a symbol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post

Make sure you are on the latest version of software in iDrive which is dealer service installed and should bring it to 03/2019.35, then:

Ask the service advisor to complete Step 1 outlined above and below with the service department. (My dealership service advisors at first did not understand the steps they needed to take; "ConnectedDrive Service Cockpit" appears within the service advisors view, the genius did not have the same view)

Step 1 You'll need to establish a PIN code with dealerships help: "The Service Department will then open up ConnectedDrive Service Cockpit and verify all the information is correct and have the customer set up a Pin. This Pin will be used to set up their Smart Phone Digital Key or if they would like to add other Smart Phone Digital Keys."

For the phone app I needed to logout of the Connected Drive App and log back in, it was at that point the app prompted me to authorize a download of the digital key, it then took a few minutes and a number of failed attempts to get the car to recognize the phone with the digital key, but I finally got it to work.

I don't yet have a key card so not sure how the steps might differ for the key card, but I suspect being on the most recent software version should help.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
I am in Australia. build 2018.11.49. i have ventilation option (both immediate and timer) but no remote start as yet. i am running android pie on galaxy note 8.
Huh that's interesting, wish my version did that. Hopefully they'll be able to make remote start and ventilation available across all carriers, countries and phones soon. I did see another post where a Galaxy S10 user on TMobile was noting added features between the S10 over the S9+.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
thisisfaz
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 340 xdrive

I have a Samsung galaxy S10+ ATT device and dealership has setup pin but my device won't go to install screen for digital key. Been week since dragnet activated in their service cockpit portal. Very frustrating to say least. Anyone else having similar issues or have a solution. No one from BMW knows how to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Make sure you are on the latest version of software in iDrive which is dealer service installed and should bring it to 03/2019.35, then:

Ask the service advisor to complete Step 1 outlined above and below with the service department. (My dealership service advisors at first did not understand the steps they needed to take; "ConnectedDrive Service Cockpit" appears within the service advisors view, the genius did not have the same view)

Step 1 You'll need to establish a PIN code with dealerships help: "The Service Department will then open up ConnectedDrive Service Cockpit and verify all the information is correct and have the customer set up a Pin. This Pin will be used to set up their Smart Phone Digital Key or if they would like to add other Smart Phone Digital Keys."

For the phone app I needed to logout of the Connected Drive App and log back in, it was at that point the app prompted me to authorize a download of the digital key, it then took a few minutes and a number of failed attempts to get the car to recognize the phone with the digital key, but I finally got it to work.

I don't yet have a key card so not sure how the steps might differ for the key card, but I suspect being on the most recent software version should help.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
This is what my dealer told me: each car comes with the two key fobs and a digital key.

I have also read somewhere that you can have ONE functioning digital key, so if are using the digital key with your non-Apple phone, the key card will be disabled. So if you are trying to use both, you probably will have issues.

Yes, dealer has to register your digital key. I’m picking my car up Wednesday, and plan to spend as long as it takes for them to activate the digital key and connected drive. And help me set up profile and settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisfaz View Post
I have a Samsung galaxy S10+ ATT device and dealership has setup pin but my device won't go to install screen for digital key. Been week since dragnet activated in their service cockpit portal. Very frustrating to say least. Anyone else having similar issues or have a solution. No one from BMW knows how to fix.
I'm in the same boat. The foreman of the dealer tried everything! they hard reset my Connecteddrive profile, redid ESA, set pin but I still in Connected drive app under Digital key it says register at dealer. And now the dealer blames it on "BMW backed is down"
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
ThreeBimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post

This is how I'm using it too, except it doesn't make much sense to me to have to unlock the car with the connected app. I want to use the card when I don't have my fob or phone but I can't do that. The card will not unlock the car.

FWIW, first delivery Nov 2018 - no digital key. They never even told me about it. Took second delivery last week and it has a card.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #21
thisisfaz
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 340 xdrive

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. The foreman of the dealer tried everything! they hard reset my Connecteddrive profile, redid ESA, set pin but I still in Connected drive app under Digital key it says register at dealer. And now the dealer blames it on "BMW backed is down"
Does anyone know a fix to this? Or why this is happening?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #22
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisfaz View Post
Quote:
Does anyone know a fix to this? Or why this is happening?
It needs the dealer to activate it. It is done through their service dept. They will ask you for a four digit pin as well if you are using key for5. Once the dealer activates you need to install on your phone (that is the next option on the app) and then activate it on your car. That took about 12 attempts for me. I had to reposition the phone in the wireless charging tray until it finally recognised it. Once activated it works flawlessly and no need to muck around with phone position in the tray.
Appreciate 0