natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Hmm. I have the lane keep assist disabled. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? It’s kind of the opposite of changing lanes but maybe?
I would think you would need ALL of your assist settings enabled. I don’t have the top-end assist features in my car, but I have found that disabling certain settings can have unanticipated consequences.

I actually like lane assist. I have it set to medium. It warns if you look down for a moment and drift out of your lane. I thought I would hate it, and having it set to the most sensitive is terrible on the narrow country roads I usually drive. So try setting it to a lower sensitivity.

If you use your turn signal, the lane assist is disabled. I’m trying to get more in the habit of using it ALL the time, when passing, for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #24
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I really like how smooth the lane change works. I use it on long trips. It really makes you feel it’s autonomous driving to the next level. When passing a slower vehicle with acc on, a slight hold on the turn signal stalk and the system evaluates the entire area and proceeds to move over and around the car in front of you. It’s kinda spooky the first few times you use it as you feel the X5 might keep moving left off the road but it never does. The entire motion is smooth and seamless. Your passengers will never know you are not driving.
This has a “Geewhiz” factor of about 11 on the scale of 10. It will either blow the minds or terrify your passengers when you first demonstrate it.
It was neat the one time it worked. It basically doesn’t work though in my X5; it refuses to take openings and actually turn. All I get most of the time is the truck drifting into the next lane while waiting for it to take over which it never does.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #25
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I would think you would need ALL of your assist settings enabled. I don’t have the top-end assist features in my car, but I have found that disabling certain settings can have unanticipated consequences.

I actually like lane assist. I have it set to medium. It warns if you look down for a moment and drift out of your lane. I thought I would hate it, and having it set to the most sensitive is terrible on the narrow country roads I usually drive. So try setting it to a lower sensitivity.

If you use your turn signal, the lane assist is disabled. I’m trying to get more in the habit of using it ALL the time, when passing, for example.
I don’t like the heavy-handed steering jerks of that feature. I always signal but there are false alarms which are fine if it’s just the wheel vibrating but not so much when it jerks you back into the lane you never left.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t like the heavy-handed steering jerks of that feature. I always signal but there are false alarms which are fine if it’s just the wheel vibrating but not so much when it jerks you back into the lane you never left.
Try setting it to the least sensitivity. When I had mine set to high sensitivity it constantly alerted me and after a certain number of alerts starting sounding warnings also.

It appears that at a lower sensitivity it gives you more “space” - ie allows you to not be warned constantly on a narrow road. So the high sensitivity seems would be best on a highway with wide lanes. And might be a good safety feature.

At first I though the sensitivity issue would simply make the steering vibration less. Not the case. Mine still gives me a hard vibration if I make a turn at relatively high speed where lines are painted on the road (we have a lot of Y style turns here, as opposed to right-angle turns).

If you hate it, leave it off, but my guess is that the off setting disables some other features also. Hard to tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #27
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

My lane change assist works pretty well. The only times it failed is when the lane markers were faded or it was a construction zone. I would expect it to fail in that case.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #28
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitchhiker View Post
My lane change assist works pretty well. The only times it failed is when the lane markers were faded or it was a construction zone. I would expect it to fail in that case.
I am mostly trying this on a freshly paved road with bright white lines so that’s not the issue. I’ll try enabling lane keep and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #29
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitchhiker View Post
I am mostly trying this on a freshly paved road with bright white lines so that's not the issue. I'll try enabling lane keep and see if that helps.
My lane keep is off (well, intervention is off, vibrate is on) and my auto lane change works ok. It won't take tight spots, but it doesn't need hundreds of feet on either side either. You have be in full ACC assist (distance and steering) for it to work, however, of course.
      06-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #30
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
My lane keep is off (well, intervention is off, vibrate is on) and my auto lane change works ok. It won't take tight spots, but it doesn't need hundreds of feet on either side either. You have be in full ACC assist (distance and steering) for it to work, however, of course.
That’s how mine is currently set up too. Thanks. Mine just seems to require an excessive amount of room to work. I never ask it to change lanes if doing so would cut someone off. I’m just trying to gather as much data as I can to bring to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #31
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Here is some detailed minutia from the Technical Training guides. Worth a microscopic review at this point.
Attached Images

06-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Thanks for sharing. Maybe I’m hold the stalk for too long? It says one second, but it really shouldn’t be this difficult to engage!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #33
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'm hold the stalk for too long? It says one second, but it really shouldn't be this difficult to engage!
I had some trouble initially as I wasn't holding it long enough. What I do now is I hold it just until I either see the indication of impending lane change or feel it starting, then let go. I don't count "one potato" in my head :-).
      06-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #34
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I had some trouble initially as I wasn't holding it long enough. What I do now is I hold it just until I either see the indication of impending lane change or feel it starting, then let go. I don't count "one potato" in my head :-).
It usually makes no attempt and shows nothing in the dash while I’m holding so I’m not sure that would work for me. This is just crazy. What a poorly implemented feature!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #35
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It usually makes no attempt and shows nothing in the dash while I'm holding so I'm not sure that would work for me. This is just crazy. What a poorly implemented feature!
After this detailed review, it is entirely possible that there is a defect. The maneuver uses the vast majority (if not all, even) of the assist sensors in the car, radar and camera, so even one misbehaving would be proper safety implementation reason for inhibit. Although I suppose one would expect an error code to be thrown to be serviced, in that case. Hm.
      06-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #36
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
It usually makes no attempt and shows nothing in the dash while I’m holding so I’m not sure that would work for me. This is just crazy. What a poorly implemented feature!
What do you have set in the following area:
CAR-Settings-Driver Assistance-Driving-Steering Assistant

Is there an option for Lane Change Assist, or just the driver attentiveness camera?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #37
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
What do you have set in the following area:
CAR-Settings-Driver Assistance-Driving-Steering Assistant

Is there an option for Lane Change Assist, or just the driver attentiveness camera?
Both are checked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #38
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I only have Driver Attention Camera so its definitely coded out for UK cars

Yours should be working. Looks like a fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #39
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I only have Driver Attention Camera so its definitely coded out for UK cars

Yours should be working. Looks like a fault.
Hmm but you get the real laser lights right? At least if you paid for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #40
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah swings and roundabouts I suppose. We also get the automatic speed limit adjustment of cruise and anticipation of manoeuvres when following a navigated route i.e. slows for junctions, roudabouts, slip roads etc, which I dont think the US get?

The lasers are really good but I'd get more use out of the lane change, and also the extend TJA which we also do not get.

Interestingly the lasers came on at dusk yesterday. On a 40MPH A-road which I didn't think they were supposed to do? I'd normally assume it was the LED's but they were lighting a road-sign about 500 metres away, it was bizarre. Not even properly dark. Maybe another bug.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:01 AM   #41
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The lasers are really good but I'd get more use out of the lane change, and also the extend TJA which we also do not get.
Wish I had lane change assist too. TJA does seem to work at least, I just wish it would be a little more intelligent with its application of the brakes. It always waits until practically the last second to apply them when it could be coasting and saving gas and wear and tear on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #42
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Wish I had lane change assist too. TJA does seem to work at least, I just wish it would be a little more intelligent with its application of the brakes. It always waits until practically the last second to apply them when it could be coasting and saving gas and wear and tear on the brakes.
Out of interest what distance is your ACC set to follow the car in front? Furthest / Middle / Close etc

Also, have you tried the lane change in Assistance Plus mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #43
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Out of interest what distance is your ACC set to follow the car in front? Furthest / Middle / Close etc

Also, have you tried the lane change in Assistance Plus mode?
It’s set to the closest setting.

I have only been on the interstate once in the 350 miles I’ve driven it. I’ve been trying to preserve the paint until I get PPF as trucks with covered loads of rocks are the exception around here.

I know what’s going to happen though when I take it in. They will refer me to the genius who will act surprised about the issue as he did when I mentioned CarPlay and it will work with him riding along. I had to reset idrive again today.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I have only been on the interstate once in the 350 miles I’ve driven it. I’ve been trying to preserve the paint until I get PPF as trucks with covered loads of rocks are the exception around here.
If you are not using it on the Interstate then perhaps the roads you are trying it on are not hitting the specs for some reason. You are trying it on a 4 lane road and not trying to pass on a two lane, right?
Appreciate 0