BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
jrob8604
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i Xdrive

Back discomfort

Has anyone had any issues with back discomfort with the Vernasca leather seats? I get an uncomfortable feeling under the right shoulder blade towards the middle of my back. I feel like I'm adjusting the seat constantly but can never get the feeling to go away and seems to only affect me when I'm driving the car, and then goes away a few hours later.

I've never experienced discomfort driving a car before or just in general so its highly unusual. It's not really painful just uncomfortable feeling.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob8604 View Post
Has anyone had any issues with back discomfort with the Vernasca leather seats? I get an uncomfortable feeling under the right shoulder blade towards the middle of my back. I feel like I'm adjusting the seat constantly but can never get the feeling to go away and seems to only affect me when I'm driving the car, and then goes away a few hours later.

I've never experienced discomfort driving a car before or just in general so its highly unusual. It's not really painful just uncomfortable feeling.
I would love to read up on how to use the lumbar support properly. I have no idea if I should be putting more or less pressure and where. I sometimes make small adjustments on longer journeys as I find sitting in one position difficult.

I guess the answer to your question is to experiment with different settings and see what makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:

Which seats to you have? The multicontour seats have an adjustment that would help you
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Quote:

Which seats to you have? The multicontour seats have an adjustment that would help you
The Sport seats on my F15 (dakota leather) are the less confortable seats I ever had from all my cars, lack of adjustment, next time will go for multi contour seats for sure
mrbmwx370.00
      07-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
zanvos
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

I have the seats with '16' adjustments, lumbar and all. Its been more than a month and I still cant get the right adjustment, and end up with back discomfort. I am confident I will get it right eventually, but I am glad to hear someone else is experiencing the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanvos View Post
I have the seats with '16' adjustments, lumbar and all. Its been more than a month and I still cant get the right adjustment, and end up with back discomfort. I am confident I will get it right eventually, but I am glad to hear someone else is experiencing the same issue.
Quote:

I have the multicontour massaging, ventilated and heated Vernasca leather seats. I have a similar discomfort in right shoulder blade region. I believe it has to due with the leather piping which is rather thick in that location. The left side of the seat has that similar piping but for some reason it doesn't bother that side of my back. I also think the massaging seats are probable a bit firmer because of the underlying mechanics involved. It appears the merino seats have the same piping in the same locations as the vernasca too.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have the multicontour massaging, ventilated and heated Vernasca leather seats. I have a similar discomfort in right shoulder blade region. I believe it has to due with the leather piping which is rather thick in that location. The left side of the seat has that similar piping but for some reason it doesn't bother that side of my back. I also think the massaging seats are probable a bit firmer because of the underlying mechanics involved. It appears the merino seats have the same piping in the same locations as the vernasca too.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have the multicontour massaging, ventilated and heated Vernasca leather seats. I have a similar discomfort in the right shoulder blade region. I believe it has to due with the leather piping which is rather thick in that location. The left side of the seat has that similar piping but for some reason it doesn't bother that side of my back. I also think the massaging seats are probable a bit firmer because of the underlying mechanics involved. It appears the merino seats have the same piping in the same locations as the vernasca too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

Sorry to wake up this thread from dead, but do you mind sharing your experience, did it ever get better? I am having horrible lower back pain while driving and even with lumbar support inflated all the way, I don't think it has enough lower (right above buttocks) support. Any tricks?
      10-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Depending on the model seat you have, you can not only adjust the throw of the lumbar support, but move it up and down. Everyone is a little different. I've rented a few vehicles that I literally had to take back and swap because of the lumbar support. For me, I find having it out too far creates pain and find having the back nearly flat ends up more comfortable (but then, I have some rods in my back fusing things!). What I find works best is to start with it back as far as it will go, then move it until it just touches my lumbar with no pressure. Fine tuning it from that point quickly gets to the sweet spot and I save it to memory. Your goal is to support the curve, not move things out of alignment.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Depending on the model seat you have, you can not only adjust the throw of the lumbar support, but move it up and down. Everyone is a little different. I've rented a few vehicles that I literally had to take back and swap because of the lumbar support. For me, I find having it out too far creates pain and find having the back nearly flat ends up more comfortable (but then, I have some rods in my back fusing things!). What I find works best is to start with it back as far as it will go, then move it until it just touches my lumbar with no pressure. Fine tuning it from that point quickly gets to the sweet spot and I save it to memory. Your goal is to support the curve, not move things out of alignment.
That's the problem, I feel like the support is not where it's supposed to be, but it feels like mostly because of the seats shape and maybe lack of proper support. I will keep playing with the adjustment but I doubt it's going to work. I really might need to get a cheap pillow there, maybe one that has a strap going around the back so it doesn't move around all the time.
      10-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Depending on the seat, I'm not sure all versions can move the center of the lumbar up/down...I think they all can move it in/out. On one version, I think there's a way to move it manually, but carefully read the user's manual. On the comfort seats, up/down, in/out is all motorized.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:18 AM   #13
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:

I find this quite annoying too. It's my first BMW and I wouldn't expect this from such a luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #14
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

If you have the multi-contour seats make sure you aren't pushing your upper back and shoulders too far forward. Forcing the upper back to curve more than normal can actually put strain on the lower spine.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

YMMV of course, as I'm very tall, but I found I had to play around with the seat setting quite a lot to get the perfect position, and avoid the lower back/hip ache. For me, I found I had to tip the seat back a little so the weight was going straight down into my hips. So imagine an ordinary chair, just tipped back 5" or 6", and the thigh support fully extended.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #16
Eggs5
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive 30d xline (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Sorry to wake up this thread from dead, but do you mind sharing your experience, did it ever get better? I am having horrible lower back pain while driving and even with lumbar support inflated all the way, I don't think it has enough lower (right above buttocks) support. Any tricks?

This has got to be one of the most intensely disappointing aspects of my car - I simply can’t get comfortable and end up with lumbar discomfort on even the shortest journeys. It’s actually depressingly bad after my XC90.

I too have tried incremental changes to the seating position but, more lately, I’ve had more success with lowering the seat height as opposed to keeping it jacked up. Don’t know why but it’s definitely more comfortable, for now at least. Will need more miles to see if this is the right position for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs5 View Post
This has got to be one of the most intensely disappointing aspects of my car - I simply can’t get comfortable and end up with lumbar discomfort on even the shortest journeys. It’s actually depressingly bad after my XC90.

I too have tried incremental changes to the seating position but, more lately, I’ve had more success with lowering the seat height as opposed to keeping it jacked up. Don’t know why but it’s definitely more comfortable, for now at least. Will need more miles to see if this is the right position for me.

I cannot make it low enough, also steering wheel might be playing a role since it's still too high at it's lowest position. I am not a small person but I like to keep steering wheel low, it's just more comfortable, but X5 steering column won't go further down.