BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Jzip
Rep
Drives: X5

Lost Starburst candy

My kid managed to lose a Starburst inside the back seat. He says it was squeezed through one of the holes/cracks, like the isofix hole or between the seat back and seat bottom cushions. Not good for my OCD. Anyone know how to lift up or get under the back seat bottom cushions? No third row in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzip View Post
My kid managed to lose a Starburst inside the back seat. He says it was squeezed through one of the holes/cracks, like the isofix hole or between the seat back and seat bottom cushions. Not good for my OCD. Anyone know how to lift up or get under the back seat bottom cushions? No third row in my car.
It's most likely lost in one of the deep cavernous wrinkles Sorry, couldn't resist. Not sure I can actually add any real value to this but did you look at the front bottom of the seat where the back of ones ankles would be had they been riding in the back? I know in some of my BMW's there are screws there, one on each side, that when removed, allow you to pull the seat cushion towards the front of the car and then you can pull the back of it upward and see whats under it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Resurrection this thread as I just had the same thing happen to me!

Not sure if people are aware, there is actually a small gap just below the ISOfix flap, and it is not that difficult for something to slip through. And if have kids that left the flap open, then even more things could fall through. Behind the gap there is a fairly deep and narrow opening where things will drop in and your hands wont be able to reach.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

pop out the isofix covers and pop out the bench. be careful of wiring if you have heated seated. remove refuse/debris. reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
pop out the isofix covers and pop out the bench. be careful of wiring if you have heated seated. remove refuse/debris. reinstall.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any details on how to pop out the bench?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
How difficult is it to pop out the rear bench? My son lost his Lego between the seat and the seatbelt clip - gone forever. I tried to see if I could easily pop it out, but I was worried I would cause more harm than good.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_coke View Post
Resurrection this thread as I just had the same thing happen to me!

Not sure if people are aware, there is actually a small gap just below the ISOfix flap, and it is not that difficult for something to slip through. And if have kids that left the flap open, then even more things could fall through. Behind the gap there is a fairly deep and narrow opening where things will drop in and your hands wont be able to reach.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this problem?
Why not try a high power vacuum cleaner at the car wash first? Or is it to deep?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Why not try a high power vacuum cleaner at the car wash first? Or is it to deep?
The gap is very narrow (1 inch) and it is at least 12 inches deep. Even the smallest hose attachment for my Dyson wouldn't be able to get in.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_coke View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any details on how to pop out the bench?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
How difficult is it to pop out the rear bench?

I haven't done it on a G05 yet however in the past you simply tug up from the portion of the squab that meets the back of the passengers knees on both the left and right side. On some models the plastics tabs are one time use on others they may be used several times providing they are not broken in removal. The ISO-Fix mounts are static and will not move along with the seat belt buckles.

The image below illustrates where the tabs/mounting points are on a 5series and is as general guide not saying this is exact:

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I did it a while ago to install a wire from front to trunk. You just pull straight up with some conviction, and be careful not to pull too high if you vave any wiring.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
I haven't done it on a G05 yet however in the past you simply tug up from the portion of the squab that meets the back of the passengers knees on both the left and right side. On some models the plastics tabs are one time use on others they may be used several times providing they are not broken in removal. The ISO-Fix mounts are static and will not move along with the seat belt buckles.

The image below illustrates where the tabs/mounting points are on a 5series and is as general guide not saying this is exact:

ISTA shows the exact same image and procedure for a G05

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Thank you for confirming. Generally speaking I don't like to post inconclusive information but it was all I had and I don't have access to ETKA/ITSA anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you for confirming. Generally speaking I don't like to post inconclusive information but it was all I had and I don't have access to ETKA/ITSA anymore.
I've lifted mine in my G05, you'll feel portions of the seat where the bench will bend if you lift on the front edge (which tells you not to pull there).

You'll know your hand is on one of the latch points where the front edge of the bench feels most locked in. A good strength tug without too much travel if you have heated seats.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
      10-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

So here is the gap below the ISOfix flap I mentioned:
https://share.getcloudapp.com/GGurlkXd

And here is the trench behind the seat where items could get through the gap get trapped:
https://share.getcloudapp.com/bLuwKeoP

Can you confirm that by lifting the seat bench, you will be able to reach to the trench?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I would assume so... nowhere else for it to go but under the bench.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #16
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I wonder if you can let loose a squirrel or pet rat to find the candy?
      10-25-2020, 02:58 AM   #17
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Ants seem to be the animal of choice given that the Starburst may have left a sugary trail on its way down.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 04:31 PM   #18
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Resurrecting this thread to confirm the seat the G05 does come out as described above, and that you can gain access to the "deep trench" under the seatbelt connection points. My daughter's bracelet fell down into the trench, and there was no way to extract it short of removing the seat base. After unclipping the front edge of the seat on both ends (applying light to moderate upward pressure at each corner of the base), the seat Base slid forward very easily. There seemed to be enough slack in the wires for the rear seat heaters to move enough to expose the "trench," and the bracelet was extracted easily.

Getting the base back into position was a bit harder, because you need to reach under the front of the seat and guide the seatbelt sockets back into their position. That took about five minutes of fiddling. Once they were back in place, the seat slid back into position naturally, and firm downward pressure on the tops of the front edge corners got it clipped back in.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have to, because the wiring harnesses for the seat heaters seem really flimsy and I wouldn't want to damage one. But retrieval of lost objects of importance is an easy DIY if needed.
Appreciate 2
aMIC31.00
realdah57.00