BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Luggage-compartment package *with* 3rd row seat

I was looking for more info about "luggage compartment package" and found this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592961

I'm ordering 3rd row seat and the price for luggage compartment package is $100 (vs $450 w/o 3rd row), so I assume it won't come with the motorized cover. How effective is the rubber(?) strips on the trunk floor from keeping random things like grocery bags, backpacks, etc from sliding around?

Also the net compartment on the right side, is that standard equipment or part of luggage compartment package?

TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I have the package and my plastic bag groceries go all over the place as do 12-packs of drinks. Plus if there is anything cold in the bags, they sweat all over the metal strips and leave ugly smudges. I think the strips are only good for actual luggage. I would have preferred to have just gotten the motorized cover without the strips actually. They always look dirty. Yes the netting comes with the package.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ts View Post
I was looking for more info about "luggage compartment package" and found this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592961

Also the net compartment on the right side, is that standard equipment or part of luggage compartment package?

TIA
The net you see in the pick only comes when ordering the luggage compartment package, pretty stupid of BMW, eh? I mean didn't they think people without that pkg would have a need to contain whatever they put in those little cubbies?
Anyway, somewhere in this forum there is an owner who made his own netting for his "non" luggage compartment pkg X5. Try searching for it, he did a nice job and it was rather easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
I have the package and my plastic bag groceries go all over the place as do 12-packs of drinks. Plus if there is anything cold in the bags, they sweat all over the metal strips and leave ugly smudges. I think the strips are only good for actual luggage. I would have preferred to have just gotten the motorized cover without the strips actually. They always look dirty. Yes the netting comes with the package.
Interesting....I know in the past I have asked a number of questions about the usefulness of those metal/rubber strips that raise up but none of the replies mentioned what you just did. For those who like the auto cargo cover but not the raised floor idea, I would think all you would have to do is to buy a normal cargo floor and ditch the auto one. My guess is that after a couple of months, the metal surround will be all scratched up and that too would irritate me
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Just did a search (and it actually costs more than the standard - larger - OEM cargo mat. BMW. Go figure.):

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-514724585.../dp/B07P8WJGRG

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-06-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't think that just putting a cargo mat over the auto cargo floor would work because you would have the issue of the little trap door wanting to open anytime some pressed the cargo cover button and you would also have to be sure you rolled back the mat anytime you wanted to lower the cargo cover into the floor to get it out of the way when you want to haul taller items. However, and I think someone may have already done this...you just trim your mat so it doesn't cover the cargo trap door but covers all the metal strips.

You could unplug the connector going to the rubber strips so they wouldn't raise but you'd still have the metal strips to contend with. I like the idea of the little rubber strips that raise but I really don't like the way BMW designed it for the reasons maczrool mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Interesting....I know in the past I have asked a number of questions about the usefulness of those metal/rubber strips that raise up but none of the replies mentioned what you just did. For those who like the auto cargo cover but not the raised floor idea, I would think all you would have to do is to buy a normal cargo floor and ditch the auto one. My guess is that after a couple of months, the metal surround will be all scratched up and that too would irritate me
So far they haven’t really gotten scratched too badly and they can be repaired if that happens but it is more upkeep obviously. I use the retractable hooks on the side as much as possible but they are slightly too low to really secure grocery bags so a lot of them end up untethering plus they all rest on the nearest strip and smear it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
So far they haven’t really gotten scratched too badly and they can be repaired if that happens but it is more upkeep obviously. I use the retractable hooks on the side as much as possible but they are slightly too low to really secure grocery bags so a lot of them end up untethering plus they all rest on the nearest strip and smear it up.
I have one of these in all my trunks/cargo areas in all my cars. Folds flat if I need it to and all those grocery plastic bags are secure in it. I also use the fold down plastic hooks but as you said, they're too low and don't really work all that well.

My wife's GTi uses velcro cargo blocks that work terrific, (bottom pic) so far I believe these are the best solution as they can be placed anywhere in any configuration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have one of these in all my trunks/cargo areas in all my cars. Folds flat if I need it to and all those grocery plastic bags are secure in it. I also use the fold down plastic hooks but as you said, they're too low and don't really work all that well.

My wife's GTi uses velcro cargo blocks that work terrific, (bottom pic) so far I believe these are the best solution as they can be placed anywhere in any configuration.
My Touareg came with those blocks but I never opened the package. It had a better hook setup that allowed my groceries to actually hang and not make contact with the floor so I mainly used that. Might have to look into one of those bins though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
The net you see in the pick only comes when ordering the luggage compartment package, pretty stupid of BMW, eh? I mean didn't they think people without that pkg would have a need to contain whatever they put in those little cubbies?
Anyway, somewhere in this forum there is an owner who made his own netting for his "non" luggage compartment pkg X5. Try searching for it, he did a nice job and it was rather easy to do.
You're correct - I've found a member here who has done a side panel net install using a BMW footwell net (1st pair of links), and another member here who used a Mazda net I believe across the entire tailgate at the opening side (2nd and 3rd links). Putting links here for both my future benefit and anyone elses:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...22&postcount=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - Note, some hardware is also needed, reference above Bimmerpost link.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...32&postcount=4

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...53&postcount=1

Quote:

I got those blocks with my GTI as well, but have never even opened the package. Maybe it's time to check them out, put 2 in the GTI, 2 in the X5. Good to hear they work well, Thanks!

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport 3rd

Quote:

I'm ordering 3rd row seat and the price for luggage compartment package is $100 (vs $450 w/o 3rd row), so I assume it won't come with the motorized cover. How effective is the rubber(?) strips on the trunk floor from keeping random things like grocery bags, backpacks, etc from sliding around?

TIA
Quote:

TIA
The luggage compartment package with the 3rd row does NOT come with rubber strips. All you get are side nets for the cubbies and nets to secure things in the luggage compartment.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Thanks for the answers!

Actually I'm happy to hear what hcastudillo said, because I want the compartment and net, but the metal/rubber strips sounds more like a problem than useful.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that just putting a cargo mat over the auto cargo floor would work because you would have the issue of the little trap door wanting to open anytime some pressed the cargo cover button and you would also have to be sure you rolled back the mat anytime you wanted to lower the cargo cover into the floor to get it out of the way when you want to haul taller items. However, and I think someone may have already done this...you just trim your mat so it doesn't cover the cargo trap door but covers all the metal strips.

You could unplug the connector going to the rubber strips so they wouldn't raise but you'd still have the metal strips to contend with. I like the idea of the little rubber strips that raise but I really don't like the way BMW designed it for the reasons maczrool mentioned.
This one looks like it does free up the cover mechanism, but sort of minimizes the covered cargo area. I did ask about the popup rubber strips, but no response back.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
This one looks like it does free up the cover mechanism, but sort of minimizes the covered cargo area. I did ask about the popup rubber strips, but no response back.
Yeah, that looks like it stays clear of the trap door. The only thing I don't like about that one and the one in my wife's GTi is the lip at the rear, it keeps getting in the way of pushing short things all the way back.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that looks like it stays clear of the trap door. The only thing I don't like about that one and the one in my wife's GTi is the lip at the rear, it keeps getting in the way of pushing short things all the way back.

Yep, agree - it limits the space. But that's probably the idea - to prevent something blocking the trap door, although I understand the door won't open if something covers it. Probably best if you had to transport something wet or dirty that fit within the mat borders and remove otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #16
bbr1
Rep
Drives: '20 X540i MSp; '13 535i/6 MSp

OP: Did you select the Luggage comp package with the 3rd row? If so - can you clarify what it added?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
Carbonx5
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr1 View Post
OP: Did you select the Luggage comp package with the 3rd row? If so - can you clarify what it added?

Thanks.
I have this. Just the nets.
Appreciate 0