Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
thank you, the doubled edged sword is I'm not stuck in the office all day but might be traveling more than I want at the same time. It's an opportunity to do something that'll further improve my background within my field while also getting a 20% raise so I can't complain.
Totally understand. I've worked both sides with Intel, and both are rewarding in their own ways. Hope this works out well for you!
Intel as in the Chipset company? I have a good friend who works there and I was offered a job a few years back in their R&D but I had to turn it down. I love the tech side of things and might change career paths to work in a similar role.
Yes, the CPU and chipset company. I spent almost 11 years working as a Field Applications Engineer in the Carolinas and later in Austin TX, then joined the engineering ranks in Oregon for another 17 years. Great timing to be a part of the technology revolution and see it from the inside.
      11-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #178
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thank you, the doubled edged sword is I'm not stuck in the office all day but might be traveling more than I want at the same time. It's an opportunity to do something that'll further improve my background within my field while also getting a 20% raise so I can't complain.
Totally understand. I've worked both sides with Intel, and both are rewarding in their own ways. Hope this works out well for you!
Intel as in the Chipset company? I have a good friend who works there and I was offered a job a few years back in their R&D but I had to turn it down. I love the tech side of things and might change career paths to work in a similar role.
Yes, the CPU and chipset company. I spent almost 11 years working as a Field Applications Engineer in the Carolinas and later in Austin TX, then joined the engineering ranks in Oregon for another 17 years. Great timing to be a part of the technology revolution and see it from the inside.
That's really cool, I had to confirm despite their obviously well known name. I see you're in Oregon and I know they have a fab up there.

I can imagine, I've always used Intel CPUs from their HEDT line ask normal consumer one. I had a 9900K until recently when a had motherboard shorted and took that guy out with it. I went back with team red and a 3900X. While AMD used to never be considered they've really impressed me. I'm sure it's a hot topic within Intel from what I'm told. I recently rebuilt my PC again to change things up since I enjoy those projects. I believe the position I was offered had to do with substrate development in their Chandler facility. This was a few years ago so I don't recall all of the details n
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      11-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #179
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's really cool, I had to confirm despite their obviously well known name. I see you're in Oregon and I know they have a fab up there.

I can imagine, I've always used Intel CPUs from their HEDT line ask normal consumer one. I had a 9900K until recently when a had motherboard shorted and took that guy out with it. I went back with team red and a 3900X. While AMD used to never be considered they've really impressed me. I'm sure it's a hot topic within Intel from what I'm told. I recently rebuilt my PC again to change things up since I enjoy those projects. I believe the position I was offered had to do with substrate development in their Chandler facility. This was a few years ago so I don't recall all of the details n
I know quite a few folks in Chandler, but not from the fabs. I knew most of their embedded and storage solutions folks. Most of my non-Field experience was as a Director supporting Intel's largest server customers (Dell, HP, IBM at the time, and Taiwanese and Chinese ODMs doing designs for the big guys. My teams were responsible for ensuring that those designs were ready to go at Intel's product launch. We supported customers in everything from thermal/mechanicals, power delivery on the board and the "silver box" power supplies, signal integrity, general board layout, firmware, and BIOS. Basically anything required to build a server platform. That job was like being a kid in a candy store. Still hard to believe they paid me to have that much fun!

Last edited by gpitts; 11-04-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #180
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know quite a few folks in Chandler, but not from the fabs. I knew most of their embedded and storage solutions folks. Most of my non-Field experience was as a Director supporting Intel's largest server customers (Dell, HP, IBM at the time, and Taiwanese and Chinese ODMs doing designs for the big guys. My teams were responsible for ensuring that those designs were ready to go at Intel's product launch. We supported customers in everything from thermal/mechanicals, power delivery on the board and the "silver box" power supplies, signal integrity, general board layout, firmware, and BIOS. Basically anything required to build a server platform. That job was like being a kid in a candy store. Still hard to believe they paid me to have that much fun!
sounds awesome! I love playing with that stuff or really anything electrical/mechanical

I assume you work in a different area now?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #181
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

sounds awesome! I love playing with that stuff or really anything electrical/mechanical

Yes, I retired from Intel in May 2015, and quickly failed at retirement. It wasn't at all what I envisioned, and I knew I'd be bored silly in short order (and was). I'm now leading Tektronix' FPGA development efforts for their product portfolio.
      11-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #182
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I retired from Intel in May 2015, and quickly failed at retirement. It wasn't at all what I envisioned, and I knew I'd be bored silly in short order (and was). I'm now leading Tektronix' FPGA development efforts for their product portfolio.
I don't know if I could ever fully retire. That's so far in the future anyways to where I don't even think about it. I won't share my age but it's somewhere between 0-100

I don't know much about FPGAs but they are pretty interesting. my background isn't tech but I'm always trying to learn more about the true design side of that industry more than the end products which are easy to digest. A family member of mine is head of R&D at Verifone so I grew up around electronics, prototyping and whatnot. I used to have old boards and switches to play with, apparently that wasn't enough for me to be an Electric Engineer so I went with a specialized Chemical Engineering degree which I'm sure you know as Petroleum Engineering

perhaps one day I'll finish my MS and go to that side of things if I ever have the time. I'm planning on doing hopefully within the next 5 years. I appreciate your hard work in that industry!
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      11-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #183
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if I could ever fully retire. That's so far in the future anyways to where I don't even think about it. I won't share my age but it's somewhere between 0-100

I don't know much about FPGAs but they are pretty interesting. my background isn't tech but I'm always trying to learn more about the true design side of that industry more than the end products which are easy to digest. A family member of mine is head of R&D at Verifone so I grew up around electronics, prototyping and whatnot. I used to have old boards and switches to play with, apparently that wasn't enough for me to be an Electric Engineer so I went with a specialized Chemical Engineering degree which I'm sure you know as Petroleum Engineering

perhaps one day I'll finish my MS and go to that side of things if I ever have the time. I'm planning on doing hopefully within the next 5 years. I appreciate your hard work in that industry!
ChemEs were scary people when I was in college - that has got to be the most difficult engineering curriculum. But anyone who "gets" P-Chem is scary. ;-)
      11-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #184
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

ChemEs were scary people when I was in college - that has got to be the most difficult engineering curriculum. But anyone who "gets" P-Chem is scary. ;-)
ChemE isn't bad, most of the stuff is basically thermo/material balance. I was going for my MS in it before accepting a job which was still the better decision. I don't know much about Physical Chemistry but I've heard stories. PNGE dealers with fluid Dynamics/thermo/geology so it's a mixed bad but like an engineering degree you go through everything else. it's been a while since I've thought about what I did for school
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #185
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
ChemE isn't bad, most of the stuff is basically thermo/material balance. I was going for my MS in it before accepting a job which was still the better decision. I don't know much about Physical Chemistry but I've heard stories. PNGE dealers with fluid Dynamics/thermo/geology so it's a mixed bad but like an engineering degree you go through everything else. it's been a while since I've thought about what I did for school
OT: Android, your PM in mailbox is full.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #186
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My husband started off in chemical engineering, ended up with computer engineering/mechanical engineering double major. He also worked in the Carnegie Mellon robotics lab during his senior year. Currently working verification for power processor chips, but also did RTL design with IBM and Freescale.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #187
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
OT: Android, your PM in mailbox is full.
I'll empty it shortly stand by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My husband started off in chemical engineering, ended up with computer engineering/mechanical engineering double major. He also worked in the Carnegie Mellon robotics lab during his senior year. Currently working verification for power processor chips, but also did RTL design with IBM and Freescale.

that's awesome! I tried to double major in ChemE and PNGE but one college approved it the other didn't. I went to Penn State so my major fell under The Earth and Mineral Science College while ChemE is apart of The College of Engineering despite having a 3.8gpa at the time.
Appreciate 0