12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #23
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I have button 1 for navigating home and button 2 for cancel navigations. I have button 8 for the home-ceo phone call. Other buttons used for regular navigation destinations.
You do know that you can use the BMW personal assistant to ask it to drive to your saved destinations which could be your home and you can also cancel your navigation to wherever you were going
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #24
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
You do know that you can use the BMW personal assistant to ask it to drive to your saved destinations which could be your home and you can also cancel your navigation to wherever you were going
Not only that, you can ask a lot of things, like "hey BMW, show trip computer"

Therefore I haven't even bothered to configure any of the hardware button...
      12-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

An interesting thing about "Hey BMW".... music can be on a high volume, and you can say "Hey BMW" quietly enough that even you can't hear it, but the car will hear it and respond.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      12-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
2SwiFt29
2GR-FSE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Not sure if a lot of people are aware or not but you don't need to actually touch the screen for buttons to show up. If you hover close enough, you'll see buttons start to pop up so you don't need to actually touch the screen to awake it.

2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Ultra White w/ Cabernet Interior - Vinyl Wrapped Front and Roof
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #27
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
not if you have a fat finger
Size matters!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #28
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I thought it was just me. If I pick my phone up from he cup holder area to put it somewhere, it’ll mute without fail. Try to unmute? Good luck. Maybe there’s a good 1-8 button shortcut?
I have an iphone and a g05 on order, can you explain this a bit better? where are you supposed to put the phone for it to work right?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #29
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I have an iphone and a g05 on order, can you explain this a bit better? where are you supposed to put the phone for it to work right?
Oh no it works fine! It just a quirky area that you’ll rarely have your phone. This is the only time it happens...way you’re in the car, and grab your phone and hold it screen up in your hand while you have your arm on the center arm rest. The FaceTime camera (I think from what someone said) does something weird with the gesture camera. It will mute your music, which is similar to using your two fingers (pointer and middle) to mute with gesture control. It sounds so confusing, but you’ll see when you get it. It wouldn’t be a problem, but for some reason, in CarPlay...you can’t unmute via gesture control. It will say something like “media unavailable”. You just go to your CarPlay screen and hit “play” again.

It’s such a little thing that you’ll rarely see honestly. It took me longer to type this than it takes to undo. Don’t let it sway your mind! I kind of like it and do it purposely at times. The cool part is you can change the action of that gesture to a few other things. Side note, and everyone else here hopefully agrees...why can’t we pick more actions for the gestures?!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      12-12-2019, 05:18 AM   #30
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

To me it seems the above happens when texting and the gesture camera sees your thumb and a reflection of it on your phonescreen thinking you want mute... easy fix...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #31
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
To me it seems the above happens when texting and the gesture camera sees your thumb and a reflection of it on your phonescreen thinking you want mute... easy fix...
That makes more sense. The problem is you can’t do the gesture again to unmute. Are you able to?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #32
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
That makes more sense. The problem is you can't do the gesture again to unmute. Are you able to?
Not with the phone but yes with the two fingers, I don't use CarPlay though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #33
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

homerrr do you have an iPhone? I would love to use iDrive if it was a little better with handling certain features. I hate the way messaging works, since the contacts are hit or miss for showing up. Tried doing the reload thing and all, made sure the text messaging prompts were enabled on iPhone and iDrive. If they still allowed the long hold press for Siri, it would be alright.

Always open to suggestions, so let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #34
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
homerrr do you have an iPhone? I would love to use iDrive if it was a little better with handling certain features. I hate the way messaging works, since the contacts are hit or miss for showing up. Tried doing the reload thing and all, made sure the text messaging prompts were enabled on iPhone and iDrive. If they still allowed the long hold press for Siri, it would be alright.

Always open to suggestions, so let me know!
I do have iPhone, but text messages doesn't work at all with me, I thought you couldn't do that? I don't like that CarPlay reads out the messages for me either though
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #35
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

homerrr I think it's due to iMessage, because they'll come through, but no contacts. I hate the way it is handled, but it would work I bet if you turned off iMessage...which no one would do! Agreed with the CarPlay read out, especially if you have people in the car. Plus, the dictation is a pain...god forbid you have to think for a second.

It seems to pseudo work for me once I enabled Text Messaging on iDrive settings under Mobile Devices. Then going into Bluetooth Settings on the iPhone, fining the BMW and hitting the little "i" icon, and enabling "Show Notifications. I just can't reply to some people, and my contacts come across as just phone numbers. The calling works like a charm though.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #36
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
You can use your iPhone with FaceID to mimic a gesture, as the IR light on the front that is constantly looking for your face tricks the system in to thinking it saw the two-finger mute gesture.

My favourite trick however is to leave the shifter over to the left in "Sport" mode, and then press the "P" button. It has an electric drive that moves it back upright.

Better yet, simply turn off the car and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #37
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
BTW, my #8 isn't named "HOME"...neither have I saved a location and named it "HOME" under navigation. I don't want to make it easy for anyone that may have bad intentions that has my car for a valid or non valid reason to be able to drive directly to my home with my car...then have access to open the garage door...etc...etc...etc. I know what my home address is...and don't need to make it easy for a thief/crook/etc. So if anyone was to do this...they'd only see a list of previous nav addresses...they'd need to do an "eenie, meanie, minee, mo" to hopefully select which one is my home address.

easy "fix", save an address that's far yet close to your house
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:24 AM   #38
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
I haven’t programmed any of the buttons. Can someone give us a rundown on what the best configuration if for these 8 buttons. Thanks.
1-2 Radio stations
3 Energy distribution (45e)
6 Favorite destinations
7-8 Route to office and home (for adaptive driving to maximize battery range)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #39
PeterCD
Rep
Drives: X5 GLC

Randy, how do you get Carplay to save as a preset? If I hover over Carplay and try to save, I get "unable to save". Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #40
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
An interesting thing about "Hey BMW".... music can be on a high volume, and you can say "Hey BMW" quietly enough that even you can't hear it, but the car will hear it and respond.
Actually on my Wish List. In our cars, seems like any time you say the "B" word it responds, even without the "Hey." And easy to do when driving a "B" car - "Did you call BMW to....?" "How can I help you?" It would be nice if you could actually use your own Wake Word, and turn off the "Hey BMW" completely, but right now not possible - in order to use a custom word you have to leave the "BMW" feature on.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #41
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6M50i View Post
Better yet, simply turn off the car and see what happens
Just use the address of a restaurant
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #42
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
I thought it was just me. If I pick my phone up from he cup holder area to put it somewhere, it’ll mute without fail. Try to unmute? Good luck. Maybe there’s a good 1-8 button shortcut?
Not on my iPhone11
      12-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #43
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingpint View Post
There is another gesture where you can sway the hand to the right to dismiss some msg window

Only saw it once though

Reject calls, and the one I use the most frequently is when you set the navi, and "she" confirms where you are going, right after I enter or voice input an address, I "sway right to dismiss her"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #44
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingpint View Post
Just use the address of a restaurant

For a different reply/quote? But yeah any address that's in the vicinity of your home is good enough
Appreciate 0