12-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Strange, inconsistent rotational noise from front-end

GM everyone. My '19 x5 randomly makes a whining, rotation noise from the front-end (much louder with windows open). I took the car in 3 times already (Left for a week once, they took it on multiple test drives), and of course it doesn't happen when it's at the shop, or when I go for a test drive with a tech. Yesterday it was happening in the morning and stopped a mile away from the dealership!!

It seems to happen at above 50mph, minimal power pressure, seems to be rotational as pitch of the sound changes with speed changes, and is very inconsistent. I can't figure out what cases it, or how to replicate the issue so I can demonstrate to the techs.

Did anyone on the forum experience something similar and what's the fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
GM everyone. My '19 x5 randomly makes a whining, rotation noise from the front-end (much louder with windows open). I took the car in 3 times already (Left for a week once, they took it on multiple test drives), and of course it doesn't happen when it's at the shop, or when I go for a test drive with a tech. Yesterday it was happening in the morning and stopped a mile away from the dealership!!

It seems to happen at above 50mph, minimal power pressure, seems to be rotational as pitch of the sound changes with speed changes, and is very inconsistent. I can't figure out what cases it, or how to replicate the issue so I can demonstrate to the techs.

Did anyone on the forum experience something similar and what's the fix?
Just a suggestion... when it happens again capture it on video. Makes it harder for the dealership to fall behind the old "we can't reproduce it" excuse.
      12-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Just a suggestion... when it happens again capture it on video. Makes it harder for the dealership to fall behind the old "we can't reproduce it" excuse.
I did, and I showed them a video. But since it happens at speed, there's a lot of road noise, and especially since it's louder when the windows are down - the combination with extra road noise makes it harder to hear the specific whine.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      12-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I did, and I showed them a video. But since it happens at speed, there's a lot of road noise, and especially since it's louder when the windows are down - the combination with extra road noise makes it harder to hear the specific whine.
There was a thread about some plastic caps being loose on the axle or differential. I can't find it right now but a lot of people had the issue and it sounded almost like a "kazoo" like noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

I am having the whistle noise issue still no luck to fix
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I think I have the same issue with my 3 weeks old X5 45e.

At speed (>90km/h, 55 miles/h) there is a annoying whine/hum coming from the front right. It does change in pitch a bit when acceleration or decelerating.

I have acoustic glass option and when driving in electric hybrid mode the cabin is very quiet except for that whine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
There was a thread about some plastic caps being loose on the axle or differential. I can't find it right now but a lot of people had the issue and it sounded almost like a "kazoo" like noise.
Thanks, I'll search around. I am not hopeful, as loose plastic wouldn't sound rotational.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
I think I have the same issue with my 3 weeks old X5 45e.

At speed (>90km/h, 55 miles/h) there is a annoying whine/hum coming from the front right. It does change in pitch a bit when acceleration or decelerating.

I have acoustic glass option and when driving in electric hybrid mode the cabin is very quiet except for that whine.
Did you take it in to troubleshoot? Is it consistent or random? I drove around multiple times today and it didn't happen even once.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I'll search around. I am not hopeful, as loose plastic wouldn't sound rotational.
It does though. Now that I'm not out and about I can send the link: Weird Underbody (maybe)/Rear Squeaking Noise? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658233
Appreciate 1
nvladik15.00
      12-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It does though. Now that I'm not out and about I can send the link: Weird Underbody (maybe)/Rear Squeaking Noise? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658233
hkleyman you my friend are a life saver - this is exactly it. Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
hkleyman you my friend are a life saver - this is exactly it. Thank you!!!
No problem. Sorry I was vague yesterday!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #12
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
No problem. Sorry I was vague yesterday!!
It's all good, you came to the rescue. I was hoping for any clue!!!
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00