BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #1
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

Car Randomly turning off

Having a problem with my x5 randomly turning completely off on auto stop. At the same time the clock looses it time. It is quite disturbing when on the road when you have to go through and restart the car. Not sure it is a coincidence but only started to happening since the software was updated to 22/11

It has been in the garage a couple of things for the problem The local garage thought it was a faulty bdc board which they subsequently replaced it Clearly it was not that as the problem continues.

Has anybody else had this issue. Very frustrating as generally I love the car
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I saw another thread about the X5 shutting down while driving and it looks like some of the people who posted were able to fix the issue with a dealer software update. This may not be your issue, but it may be worth looking into.

Here is a link to the thread -
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1807656
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
kwickag
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Corvette 24 iX 50

The way to see if it is the software, is have the dealer flash it back to the previous version if they can.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I saw another thread about the X5 shutting down while driving and it looks like some of the people who posted were able to fix the issue with a dealer software update. This may not be your issue, but it may be worth looking into.

Here is a link to the thread -
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1807656
I posted in that thread today, actually, as my 45e is in the shop again for this problem. Mine is a bit different (as I explained in detail in that thread), as there are no warning messages and no signs of problems; the car just glides to a stop. The last time in there were no fault codes. This has happened twice to me: once driving in battery control mode on the interstate at 75 mph, the other at 2-3 mph pulling out of a driveway in electric mode. Scary.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Horse and buggy

Has this issue been fixed more broadly? I ask because I can't get my '22 45e to turn off.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroler View Post
Has this issue been fixed more broadly? I ask because I can't get my '22 45e to turn off.
it's not a vehicle "issue". it’s usually your behavior/routine as you leave. if done correctly and contrary to what some folks will tell you, there’s no need to lock the door just to get the lights to turn off, and you don’t need to enable “lock when walking away” either if you don’t like that setting. I don’t, but my 45e turns off consistently and is unlocked in the garage. see tips below:

formally ending the trip will help which means pressing the Start/Stop button before opening the door. (make sure you're NOT pressing the brake pedal at the same time when pressing the button!) just opening the door before ending your trip just leaves the vehicle in an idle state.

there are other settings to consider:
- enable “unlock at end of trip”. upon pressing the Start/Stop button to end the trip, the door(s) will unlock (exactly which door(s) is up to you)
- enable “turn off vehicle when opening door”. many people think this addresses the engine, but it actually addresses the ELECTRONICS.

both of these settings will get you into the habit of pressing the Start/Stop button before you exit since both require you to press it in order to function properly. you should see the vehicle lights and electronics turn off consistently

FWIW, my wife has had bimmers since 2009, and we pretty much know how the vehicle is programmed to behave. i'm even adept to recognizing subtle changes in their programming over the years. i used to drive Audis prior, and their behavior is different, but had no issues adapting when i got my first bimmer, the 45e a couple years ago, which i really enjoy. learning the nuances can be frustrating but need to be understood so you don't become frustrated.

if the vehicle electronics stay on for some reason (it happens but rarely if above is followed), simply press and hold the radio VOL button for 2-3 seconds to shut down
Appreciate 2
FLYSWA30.50
      02-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
it's not a vehicle "issue". it’s usually your behavior/routine as you leave. if done correctly and contrary to what some folks will tell you, there’s no need to lock the door just to get the lights to turn off, and you don’t need to enable “lock when walking away” either if you don’t like that setting. I don’t, but my 45e turns off consistently and is unlocked in the garage. see tips below:

formally ending the trip will help which means pressing the Start/Stop button before opening the door. (make sure you're NOT pressing the brake pedal at the same time when pressing the button!) just opening the door before ending your trip just leaves the vehicle in an idle state.

- enable “unlock at end of trip”. upon pressing the Start/Stop button to end the trip, the door(s) will unlock (exactly which door(s) is up to you)
- enable “turn off vehicle when opening door”. many people think this addresses the engine, but it actually addresses the ELECTRONICS.

both of these settings will get you into the habit of pressing the Start/Stop button before you exit since both require you to press it in order to function properly. you should see the vehicle lights and electronics turn off consistently

FWIW, my wife has had bimmers since 2009, and we pretty much know how the vehicle is programmed to behave. i'm even adept to recognizing subtle changes in their programming over the years. i used to drive Audis prior, and their behavior is different, but had no issues adapting when i got my first bimmer, the 45e a couple years ago, which i really enjoy. learning the nuances can be frustrating but need to be understood so you don't become frustrated.

if the vehicle electronics stay on for some reason (it happens but rarely if above is followed), simply press and hold the radio VOL button for 2-3 seconds to shut down
Great advice. You know what, I used to have "unlock at end of trip" selected but that hasn't been working recently. I wonder if I got an OTA update. We've had a few gremlins but none as common as this one over the last 3 months. The lights have been staying on indefinitely which doesn't seem right.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Not having your foot on the brake when turning the car off was huge one for me! I never even noticed it until I read this in another thread but now that I’m aware, it’s made a big difference - no locking and unlocking the doors to turn off the electronics!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I am not sure this is what the OP was discussing, and I know it isn't what I posted about. Nor is it what was discussed in the linked thread.

My problem is the car shutting down while under way. That is, the car is driving down the road and suddenly becomes unresponsive to the gas pedal and is in an "off" mode; you have to actually restart the car at which point normal operation resumes.

Not good, and has not been fixed after multiple times in the shop. No fault codes, flashing back does nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
I am not sure this is what the OP was discussing, and I know it isn't what I posted about. Nor is it what was discussed in the linked thread.

My problem is the car shutting down while under way. That is, the car is driving down the road and suddenly becomes unresponsive to the gas pedal and is in an "off" mode; you have to actually restart the car at which point normal operation resumes.

Not good, and has not been fixed after multiple times in the shop. No fault codes, flashing back does nothing.
i was replying to Hiroler post (see above. i quoted him.)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 07:30 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

That issue hasn't shown up on the forum before that I remember seeing.

A weak 12vdc battery can cause all sorts of weird issues...your 2019's battery may need to be tested and maybe replaced. Depending on your typical drive, your 12vdc battery(s) may not be getting fully charged, and wintertime makes a weak battery more problematic.

If you have a battery charger, I'd try letting that run until it says the battery is fully recharged, and see if the issue persists.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:10 AM   #12
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
That issue hasn't shown up on the forum before that I remember seeing.

A weak 12vdc battery can cause all sorts of weird issues...your 2019's battery may need to be tested and maybe replaced. Depending on your typical drive, your 12vdc battery(s) may not be getting fully charged, and wintertime makes a weak battery more problematic.

If you have a battery charger, I'd try letting that run until it says the battery is fully recharged, and see if the issue persists.
Thanks I have this problem with my F150 lightning also. It seems like the 12vdc is an afterthought.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:11 AM   #13
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i was replying to Hiroler post (see above. i quoted him.)
My bad I hijacked the thread since it was dead and electrical problems end up interlinked.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #14
Andyx5
Private
Rep

The problem was eventually down to a dodgy battery which occasional shorted itself out. Had a new battery installed for a couple of weeks now with no issues. Took the dealer quite a while to diagnose as they tried changing a number of components on the car on being one being the bdc control board. Thanks to dealer anyway as they were extremely helpful and supplied a courtesy car for a number of weeks
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 03:50 PM   #15
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyx5 View Post
The problem was eventually down to a dodgy battery which occasional shorted itself out. Had a new battery installed for a couple of weeks now with no issues. Took the dealer quite a while to diagnose as they tried changing a number of components on the car on being one being the bdc control board. Thanks to dealer anyway as they were extremely helpful and supplied a courtesy car for a number of weeks
I am not sure I understand what the car was doing. Did it shut down as you were driving down the road? If so, did you get any error messages? Were there any fault codes? Were you able to turn the car back on while it was moving or did you have to come to a complete stop?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #16
Andyx5
Private
Rep

Car was turning off when coming to a stop. Not just auto stop turning the engine off but everything off including the dashboard. Had to restart the car every time it happened by foot on the brake and pressing the start button
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      02-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Diesels are particularly hard on batteries, as the high compression ratio requires a lot of power...cold weather, start/stop put a lot of stress on any battery, but more so on a diesel.
Appreciate 0