BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Question GSM / LTE connectivity for online services?

I'm waiting for delivery of my xDrive45e in the UK and am confused about it's GSM / LTE connectivity requirements.

My current Audi A6 has a SIM slot and I keep a SIM contract running to provide data services for the car (Online Traffic, Map Updates, Hotspot etc) plus I can use it for calls and texts if I forget my iPhone. I think the car can also use my iPhone data but I found it easier to keep a SIM installed.

What are the requirements for my X5 connected services? I am not bothered about the hotspot, but do want all other connected services to operate including music via Spotify etc. What do I have to do:
  1. Install my own SIM in the car?
  2. Connect via my iPhone (but how does this work if I'm not in the car)?
  3. Take an eSIM contract for a built-in SIM?
  4. Does BMW provide the data service with the car?

Also when I'm parked up at home can the car use my home WiFi connection?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyGit View Post
I'm waiting for delivery of my xDrive45e in the UK and am confused about it's GSM / LTE connectivity requirements.

My current Audi A6 has a SIM slot and I keep a SIM contract running to provide data services for the car (Online Traffic, Map Updates, Hotspot etc) plus I can use it for calls and texts if I forget my iPhone. I think the car can also use my iPhone data but I found it easier to keep a SIM installed.

What are the requirements for my X5 connected services? I am not bothered about the hotspot, but do want all other connected services to operate including music via Spotify etc. What do I have to do:
  1. Install my own SIM in the car?
  2. Connect via my iPhone (but how does this work if I'm not in the car)?
  3. Take an eSIM contract for a built-in SIM?
  4. Does BMW provide the data service with the car?

Also when I'm parked up at home can the car use my home WiFi connection?
Not really

Our Bimmers come in with a built in ConnectedDrive services that requires to be activated with a plan by bmw to run all the online services including the hotspot

Unfortunately these such services are not available everywhere and is country specific

I have an Audi Q7 with a nice SIM card slot that can be used as mentioned for data or calls and works like a charm with no complications

I hope one day BMW does the same
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:42 AM   #3
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Thanks, so just to make sure I understand correctly. BMW will include the cellular subscription with the connected services that come as part of my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:05 AM   #4
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyGit View Post
Thanks, so just to make sure I understand correctly. BMW will include the cellular subscription with the connected services that come as part of my vehicle?
Yes, at least for a few years.. and after that, they may charge you a yearly fee.
Appreciate 0