BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
The bank will do the reporting with a CTR if you're not using using cash. The dealer will probably still give you the run around about the OFAC check especially if you're a foreign buyer.
There is no requirement for the bank to report when someone uses a personal check to make a purchase. In fact, it is written into the regulations that personal checks are not considered cash and reportable.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...nce-guide#type

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 08-30-2020 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Added reference
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #24
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
There is no requirement for the bank to report when someone uses a personal check to make a purchase. In fact, it is written into the regulations that personal checks are not considered cash and reportable.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...nce-guide#type
Where is a foreign buyer going to get a personal check from a US bank?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Where is a foreign buyer going to get a personal check from a US bank?
Not sure what that has to do with the discussion we were having about transactions being reportable but the answer to your question would be that they open one.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #26
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with the discussion we were having about transactions being reportable but the answer to your question would be that they open one.
The whole purpose of this thread was for a foreign buyer to purchase and export a vehicle from the US.

They won't be able to open a bank account without an SSN and an address in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
The whole purpose of this thread was for a foreign buyer to purchase and export a vehicle from the US.

They won't be able to open a bank account without an SSN and an address in the US.
Yes but then you changed the subject by giving incorrect information regarding reportable transactions. Just like the incorrect information you gave above. A non-citizen can open a bank account in the US without an SSN.

You are coming off as one of those insecure posters who have to keep at it until they actually look correct. Your self worth does not need to be tied to postings on a forum. It is perfectly fine to admit when you are wrong, we all make mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #28
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes but then you changed the subject by giving incorrect information regarding reportable transactions. Just like the incorrect information you gave above. A non-citizen can open a bank account in the US without an SSN.

You are coming off as one of those insecure posters who have to keep at it until they actually look correct. Your self worth does not need to be tied to postings on a forum. It is perfectly fine to admit when you are wrong, we all make mistakes.
I'm not here to argue. If someone in a foreign country can open a US bank account without an SSN and a US address, put funds in it without anything needed to be reported and write a personal check to purchase a vehicle so they can immediately export it, then yes, I'm wrong. I'll happily admit that if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not here to argue. If someone in a foreign country can open a US bank account without an SSN and a US address, put funds in it without anything needed to be reported and write a personal check to purchase a vehicle so they can immediately export it, then yes, I'm wrong. I'll happily admit that if that is the case.
See my advice above.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #30
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Quote:
See my advice above.
Huh

I believe you'ed be in luck if you look up a dealer in Virginia (DMV) area , Alexandria, VA or Silver Spring, MD .. I personally remember these guys do sell some on and off...

You definitely DO NOT have to be a US citizen nor have a SSN to buy one... opening a US bank account is an easy thing to do .. passport and an address in US (can be a friend or a relative) and your physical forign address for W84 form (forign tax exempt form) stating you are a forign passport holder and so on... (this info is coming from personal experience)

Many dealers do give you the hassle of having the car for 6months but you can definitely find a way with them.. especially that these two states deal with many forign diplomats and people around .. so they are more lenient...

If not you can always get a good deal from UAE bimmers (similar prices of those in US) plus having higher specs as standard options and plus they'ed ship immediately
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:51 AM   #31
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Huh

I believe you'ed be in luck if you look up a dealer in Virginia (DMV) area , Alexandria, VA or Silver Spring, MD .. I personally remember these guys do sell some on and off...

You definitely DO NOT have to be a US citizen nor have a SSN to buy one... opening a US bank account is an easy thing to do .. passport and an address in US (can be a friend or a relative) and your physical forign address for W84 form (forign tax exempt form) stating you are a forign passport holder and so on... (this info is coming from personal experience)

Many dealers do give you the hassle of having the car for 6months but you can definitely find a way with them.. especially that these two states deal with many forign diplomats and people around .. so they are more lenient...

If not you can always get a good deal from UAE bimmers (similar prices of those in US) plus having higher specs as standard options and plus they'ed ship immediately
Were you able to open a US bank account without physically being in the US at an actual branch as a foreign passport holder? If that's the case, then the OP may be able to do things that way. All of the online US banks seem to require a physical address and SSN/TIN to open an account.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #32
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Huh

Were you able to open a US bank account without physically being in the US at an actual branch as a foreign passport holder? If that's the case, then the OP may be able to do things that way. All of the online US banks seem to require a physical address and SSN/TIN to open an account.
if it is online .. it does require an SSN ..

I did open the account while being there .. as I do own a property in VA.. but many others open one physically while they are vacationing or travel for a quick trip to the US .. they wouldn't ask for any SSN's .. you would just need a good friend to share his physical address there and fill out the W84 form for tax related filings as mentioned
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #33
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:

I did open the account while being there .. as I do own a property in VA.. but many others open one physically while they are vacationing or travel for a quick trip to the US .. they wouldn't ask for any SSN's .. you would just need a good friend to share his physical address there and fill out the W84 form for tax related filings as mentioned
Yeah, there doesn't appear to be a way to open one without being physically in the US. Sometimes they'll ask for utility bills as well if you don't own property or can show a lease.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #34
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, there doesn't appear to be a way to open one without being physically in the US. Sometimes they'll ask for utility bills as well if you don't own property or can show a lease.
As said you can always open one regardless of your status and citizenship .. even if you do not own a property..

All you can use is a friend address with no proof requirements whatsoever

This is from personal experience
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #35
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Clapped out 335. N54 goes brrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Dealers WON'T sell you car if they know it's for export
Here in Canada, you have to sign one year non-export agreement.
So Chinese exporters use straw buyers to buy cars for them.
Legally Bmw is helpless, they can only black list straw buyer, so he can't buy another new car.

100% BMW wants to control New inventory.
By allowing OOC dealers & groups to sell it kills allocations, projections, and tariffs. You're not the first to think of this and not the last. Lots of red tape and getting past the dealership is the hardest step.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #36
kchemist
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
I figure US prices as significantly lower than virtually anywhere else (particularly where I am).

I wonder if some people here have been able to order US car and get it exported to their country?

If so, how does it work:
- which dealer in the US is willing to do that?
- what's the process / how complicated is this?
- can we waive off the VAT?

Any idea, anyone?
Are you still in the market? My company can do this. Direct message me if this is something you want to do
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #37
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

thanks all for your responses.

Once we've passed the hurdle of the dealership, do we at least agree that warranty is international ?

Last question: where to find the best deal on a X6MC with specific config?

And timelines for orders?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #38
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

If anyone knows of an accommodating dealer in the US - please let me know :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #39
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
thanks all for your responses.

Once we've passed the hurdle of the dealership, do we at least agree that warranty is international ?

Last question: where to find the best deal on a X6MC with specific config?

And timelines for orders?
Warranty is not international. I can't speak about others, but for one, BMW China will not honor a X5 imported from other region by somebody else. However, there are third party warranty available.
Appreciate 0