07-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Dealership Botched Brake Job?

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice. My X5 was in for front brakes just under two weeks ago (6/30) and the dealer changed the front brakes and rotors. I've heard a slight whomping and grinding sound for about a week but thought little of it and thought it was just the new brakes getting some wear.

In hindsight I realized that there were several occasions, mostly when in reverse, that I thought I had ridden over a glass bottle or something (heard some noise from the front drivers side wheel) but also didn't think much of it. Today, the noise got significantly worse, metal on metal, grinding, feels like there's something stuck in the wheel well... I grab a flashlight and see this:

(sorry about the rotation/size of the images, not sure how to fix it)
Front Right Caliper:
Name:  IMG_7960.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  260.7 KB

Front Left Caliper:
Name:  IMG_7952.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  289.9 KB
Name:  IMG_7954.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  228.3 KB

I just got towed to the dealership and will be there 7am tomorrow, but wondering what the board's thoughts are - if this is anything other than the dealership's botched brake job?

On another exciting note with this dealership, they also told me I could ride around on a tire with the metal cords showing for a month while we waited for a tire....

Time for a new dealership service department?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Dagwag77; 07-12-2022 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:40 AM   #2
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I’m no expert but it looks like only one side of the brake pad is there. Have they forgotten to fit the other sides! Yikes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #3
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

Looks more like one of the bolt holding the caliper is missing. That is how the caliper tilts.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwag77 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice. My X5 was in for front brakes just under two weeks ago (6/30) and the dealer changed the front brakes and rotors. I've heard a slight whomping and grinding sound for about a week but thought little of it and thought it was just the new brakes getting some wear.

In hindsight I realized that there were several occasions, mostly when in reverse, that I thought I had ridden over a glass bottle or something (heard some noise from the front drivers side wheel) but also didn't think much of it. Today, the noise got significantly worse, metal on metal, grinding, feels like there's something stuck in the wheel well... I grab a flashlight and see this:

I just got towed to the dealership and will be there 7am tomorrow, but wondering what the board's thoughts are - if this is anything other than the dealership's botched brake job?

On another exciting note with this dealership, they also told me I could ride around on a tire with the metal cords showing for a month while we waited for a tire....

Time for a new dealership service department?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ugh, hope you're not in my area and used my dealer!! Well, hard to say for sure by the pix but it does appear to be what Aziegosaid by the looks of it. There are two large bolts that hold the caliper in position, remove one and the caliper will want to rotate either towards or away from the rotor depending on which direction your driving. Maybe the bolt fell out or wasn't installed or? Pls let us know the outcome. Anyone can make a mistake, get distracted, etc but the comment about the bald tire is worrisome.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziego View Post
Looks more like one of the bolt holding the caliper is missing. That is how the caliper tilts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Ugh, hope you're not in my area and used my dealer!! Well, hard to say for sure by the pix but it does appear to be what Aziegosaid by the looks of it. There are two large bolts that hold the caliper in position, remove one and the caliper will want to rotate either towards or away from the rotor depending on which direction your driving. Maybe the bolt fell out or wasn't installed or? Pls let us know the outcome. Anyone can make a mistake, get distracted, etc but the comment about the bald tire is worrisome.
Dealer just confirmed that tech that did the brake job only put one of the two bolts in, you guys hit the nail on the head. They are replacing the caliper.

I was blown away by the tire situation before all this happened. My SA told me that I could drive around for a month on this tire and just wait for it to come in. I went to the manager and we looked at availability and I was ready to pay to switch to Michelins (or whatever) just for a safe ride but they stated there were no other available options. At that point I went to a tire shop, got a new (bmw star) tire. I took the worn out tire back to the dealer and the service manager and general manager were floored at the condition of the tire and the SA's recommendation. It was at that point they did an alignment and the brake job in question at no cost to make up for the tire situation...

Name:  IMG_7391.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  492.6 KB
Name:  IMG_7390.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  404.7 KB
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Dealer just confirmed that tech that did the brake job only put one of the two bolts in, you guys hit the nail on the head. They are replacing the caliper.

I was blown away by the tire situation before all this happened. My SA told me that I could drive around for a month on this tire and just wait for it to come in. I went to the manager and we looked at availability and I was ready to pay to switch to Michelins (or whatever) just for a safe ride but they stated there were no other available options. At that point I went to a tire shop, got a new (bmw star) tire. I took the worn out tire back to the dealer and the service manager and general manager were floored at the condition of the tire and the SA's recommendation. It was at that point they did an alignment and the brake job in question at no cost to make up for the tire situation...
Holey crappola, is that the way the tire looked when they told you it was ok to drive on? Much worse than I imagined. Geez.

Sometimes we get lucky with our guesses Good to see they found the issue on your caliper and are taking care of you. Sometimes bad experiences can turn good. Now that they owned up to it and resolved it, they know you and if you make it a point to keep a relationship going, it "could" turn out well for the future but as a backup, asking others on the forum in your area for their recommendations on a service dealer will give you a head start in case you need it.
Appreciate 1
Kdavis61124.50
      07-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:

Oh no, absolutely not. That part of the tire is right at the edge of steel belt. If rubber continue to wore through, tire will fail. And it looks like it will fail very soon. Depend on the speed at that time, implication can be big. Plus this is the front, right? Even bigger problem if front tire blown.

but then I don't see how a bad brake job and cost this kind of tire wear. It is very extreme, if it is alignment off, you will feel long before tire get to wore like this. How is the other front tire look?
      07-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #8
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Holey crappola, is that the way the tire looked when they told you it was ok to drive on? Much worse than I imagined. Geez.

Sometimes we get lucky with our guesses Good to see they found the issue on your caliper and are taking care of you. Sometimes bad experiences can turn good. Now that they owned up to it and resolved it, they know you and if you make it a point to keep a relationship going, it "could" turn out well for the future but as a backup, asking others on the forum in your area for their recommendations on a service dealer will give you a head start in case you need it.
This photo is from a day later at the tire shop when they pulled it off. I've known the GM and service manager for a decade plus, and they've always been receptive and accommodating but unfortunately with so much turnover their diligence doesn't seem to trickle down to the SAs and techs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Oh no, absolutely not. That part of the tire is right at the edge of steel belt. If rubber continue to wore through, tire will fail. And it looks like it will fail very soon. Depend on the speed at that time, implication can be big. Plus this is the front, right? Even bigger problem if front tire blown.

but then I don't see how a bad brake job and cost this kind of tire wear. It is very extreme, if it is alignment off, you will feel long before tire get to wore like this. How is the other front tire look?
The tire and brakes are two separate incidents. Car initially went into the dealer for new tires and brakes. They kept the car for 2 days and did no work, telling me they'd do both tire and brakes in a month when the rubber came in. After I went back two days later and showed the managers the tire they acknowledged that the SA never should have let me drive out on it and comp'd the alignment and brakes. That tire was drivers side rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #9
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I hope they fired the SA, but more likely they just moved him to another spot in the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #10
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Dealer name?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:01 PM   #11
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Dealer name?
PM me
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Hey which dealer was this. Im in NY too and found a few BMW dealers so far that really disappointed me with their work. There is nothing wrong with posting the dealer name here. Thats why this forum exists.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #13
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep

As this is still unfolding with the dealer I'd prefer not to put them on blast publicly on the web. Happy to discuss in PM if you'd like.
Appreciate 0