BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #1
Ohohoh0724
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e X3 30i

Adaptive headlight?

Hi everyone. I heard adaptive headlight(matrix led for Audi) would be available in the U.S soon but that soon turned to months and years, does anyone have some guess on when the feature would be possible? Or actually, is it already available?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #2
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

I'm not aware of anyone on this forum that's had reliable news on when the full adaptive light mode will be made available for USA. Some have had various levels of success trying to code the feature on - there are several threads you can search for if that interests you.

Probably worth noting that even Audi's matrix lights are still "matrix look" for USA. They haven't activated the actual matrix functionality from the factory either.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 06:12 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Search on anti-dazzle and you'll find a bunch of information.

The DOT decided NOT to adopt the Eurospec, imposing some additional requirements on adaptive headlights in the USA and they became technically legal last year. Canada allows the Euro spec, and their dealers can, supposedly, for a fee, implement it on those vehicles where it's possible.

So, while you can code the Euro spec functionality, technically, it won't pass, not that someone is likely to detect that and give you grief, it's possible. If you're not familiar with coding your vehicle, then it's probably best to pay one of the people that specializes in that. You'd need the adapter to the OBD port, a laptop within WiFi range so they can remotely connect to your vehicle. Note, OTA updates SOMETIMES will wipe that coding out, so you'd need to get it done again (many will do it for a discount). It depends on which modules the update is applied to, whether it resets that coding to standard factory values.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 06:17 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would say it is unlikely to see it anytime soon. They were made legal in Canada, following existing ECE regulations, about 5 years ago and BMW still does not provide them on new vehicles.

Given that that US set up their own regulations rather than following ECE's or SAE's, it may be years until they have headlights that pass and are offered.

As mentioned, for right now coding seems to be the only way to get them but of course that is going away with iD8/iD8.5.
      06-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The US requirements implemented more stringent timing and glare characteristics to the headlight beams that may or may not be doable with the existing headlamps. If I had to guess, when the X5 gets its next full version update, it will probably be in it...it did not make it to the LCI. Of course, if it ends up just being software, it might show up, but it might take a faster processor to handle the required update rate especially on a curve or hill or maybe a different camera with the needed field of view, resolution, and update rate.

Personally, I've not heard complaints from our European members about hassles with glare bothering other people on the road, but we have to live with what the DOT mandated, and it may take hardware changes in addition to software to achieve the needed characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 11:29 PM   #6
temoore48
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 4.5e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Anti-dazzle coded

I have my lights coded to allow anti-dazzle. In 21 months of driving, I have never had anyone flash their lights at me even though the blue high beam indicator is on due to the lights adjusting the pattern so that they don't "dazzle" the cars approaching me or that I am approaching.
      06-28-2023, 12:45 AM   #7
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by temoore48 View Post
I have my lights coded to allow anti-dazzle. In 21 months of driving, I have never had anyone flash their lights at me even though the blue high beam indicator is on due to the lights adjusting the pattern so that they don't "dazzle" the cars approaching me or that I am approaching.
Same here . They’re wonderful. Has anyone noticed when driving on the highway the headlight beam lights the exit number up . I noticed this happening after I had the coding done. I’m thinking it works with the navigation.
Appreciate 1