BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
ScotsSkier
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Anyone used Michelin LATITUDE ALPIN LA2 winter tires?

I'm trying to decide on winter/snow tires for my wife's X5 M5.0i. We live in teh mountains in Tahoe so we can see a mix of deep/heavy snow as well as clear pavement a lot of the time.

Normally I have gone to what I call a "full-on" snow tire i.e. one oriented more towards snow performance than mixed use. On her Macan Turbo I used Yokohama IG51s which were great but gave up a bit of performance (I am a big fan of Yokohamas, i have used a wide range of different snow tires and the Yokos have bene the best in my experience).

So I have been looking at the Michelin LATITUDE ALPIN LA2 which may offer a good compromise but I am concerned it may be oriented too much towards mixed use and be lacking in snow.

So any real world experience of them out there? I will be using a square 20 inch set up.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      10-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Could anyone with tire experience please help?

I am checking this and also trying to decide on the Michelin's X-Ice lineup. By the way, the Michelin X-Ice SNOW tire replaces Michelin's Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tire lines this fall.

X-Ice SNOW is T rated and non-RFT:
Attached Images

07-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #3
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Could anyone with tire experience please help?

I am checking this and also trying to decide on the Michelin's X-Ice lineup. By the way, the Michelin X-Ice SNOW tire replaces Michelin's Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tire lines this fall.

X-Ice SNOW is T rated and non-RFT:

Did you end up getting these tires? Considering the same for a winter setup.
How did you like them?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I prefer Nokian R3's. I had a few Pilot Alpines, but they were older versions, and I've found the Nokians to be a better tire that has almost no penalty on MPG that most winter tires have. And, there's an aramid fiber in the sidewalls that is essentially like a bulletproof vest like material, so it has a sidewall damage warranty. If they're available in the size you need, I'd look at them.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50