BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2020, 01:47 AM   #1
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Head up display

Does head up display work for apple carplay? Or is it only for bmw navigation?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_xxxk View Post
Apple Maps will work in HUD if you have the latest software (i-step) version in your car.

I could be wrong but I believe release 07/2020.45 is what you would need for Apple Maps to work in HUD.

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 02:43 AM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders17283 View Post
Apple Maps will work in HUD if you have the latest software (i-step) version in your car.

I could be wrong but I believe release 07/2020.45 is what you would need for Apple Maps to work in HUD.
I have 07/2020.25 and apple maps works in HUD, not that I ever use it.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      10-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^same, never use CarPlay but those who do can't get enough of it. Maybe one of these days ill look into it and try it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be getting the '21 MY. Do you think that will have the latest software update?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll be getting the '21 MY. Do you think that will have the latest software update?
I would think MY21 vehicles would come with a minimum of 07/2020 software but I have no evidence to back that.

Previous Rides
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
^^same, never use CarPlay but those who do can't get enough of it. Maybe one of these days ill look into it and try it.
I use CP all the time, just not Apple Maps. I prefer to have a combo of TomTom in CP, and BMW nav running at the same time.

The BMW idrive nav integrates with the assisted driving so really need that running.

My ideal setup would be google maps from CP in HUD and integrated into assisted driving, but can't see that ever happening. Might get GM in HUD one day though
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10710.50
Trojanlaw264.50
      10-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I use CP all the time, just not Apple Maps. I prefer to have a combo of TomTom in CP, and BMW nav running at the same time.

The BMW idrive nav integrates with the assisted driving so really need that running.

My ideal setup would be google maps from CP in HUD and integrated into assisted driving, but can't see that ever happening. Might get GM in HUD one day though
TomTom Nav device! now that is a blast from the past, I remember those.

Im sure tech will continue to evolve in the HUD arena no doubt

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

If you're using Spotify through car play, when you use the controls on the steering wheel your music info can be set to show in the HUD also.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Its the TomTom Nav iOS app so is displayed full screen on the centre console via CarPlay.
It's the only native CarPlay app that will run at the same time as idrive NAV. All others including Apple and Google Maps stop idrive NAV working once a route is planned in them.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      10-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Its the TomTom Nav iOS app so is displayed full screen on the centre console via CarPlay.
It's the only native CarPlay app that will run at the same time as idrive NAV. All others including Apple and Google Maps stop idrive NAV working once a route is planned in them.
@Ifr. Is it possible to switch from Tom Tom to idrive navigation by pressing the maps button above the idrive controller?

I need Idrive navigation for hybrid driving and I actually prefer it for longer trips and HUD functionality.

However for short drives and to avoiding traffic jams others are better. I have Waze but if I activate Waze pushing the map button goes to Waze and not to idrive. I also have Tom Tom but I don't use it a lot. Do you have any experience with Waze?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
have you tried Waze? do you have that in your area? Wonder if that would work as well. again I am not a CarPlay guy so never really dabbled in the features in any of my demo's so apologize for any mis understandings as far as CarPlay goes

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
have you tried Waze? do you have that in your area? Wonder if that would work as well.
It works in car play but it takes over navigation. So no more navigating in Idrive.

It also takes over the phone. If I am using Waze on my iPhone it is quite easy to see alternative routes. But when connected with CP it is not possible anymore in the phone and it is to difficult (haven't found it) while driving with the touch screen.

On holiday when my wife is driving I sometimes look for traffic and alternative roads in google maps. This is not possible anymore when my phone is connected to CP. if I open google maps or Waze it immediately takes over navigation and navigation in idrive is cancelled. I didn't want it to do that I only wanted to see if idrive showed the best route. The solution is doing it on her phone.

I don't know which is better in avoiding traffic Tom Tom or Waze. Waze helped me a lot. Idrive is not so bad either but is much later in suggesting an alternative route.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      10-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
@Ifr. Is it possible to switch from Tom Tom to idrive navigation by pressing the maps button above the idrive controller?

I need Idrive navigation for hybrid driving and I actually prefer it for longer trips and HUD functionality.

However for short drives and to avoiding traffic jams others are better. I have Waze but if I activate Waze pushing the map button goes to Waze and not to idrive. I also have Tom Tom but I don't use it a lot. Do you have any experience with Waze?
I dont like waze so rarely use it. I sometimes just have it running but not navigating as it presents notifications about police etc.

If CP nav is running then it becomes the defacto. You have to start TT then start idrive to get them cohabiting. To move from TT to idrive nav I press the home/menu button then nav, although its rare I use idrive nav mainscreen when idrive nav is already in HUD.

TT routing is VASTLY superior to idrive NAV in the UK. I know TT provide the traffic data and mapping for BMW but the routing algorithms are worlds apart, so I always have TT front of house.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I dont like waze so rarely use it. I sometimes just have it running but not navigating as it presents notifications about police etc.

If CP nav is running then it becomes the defacto. You have to start TT then start idrive to get them cohabiting. To move from TT to idrive nav I press the home/menu button then nav, although its rare I use idrive nav mainscreen when idrive nav is already in HUD.

TT routing is VASTLY superior to idrive NAV in the UK. I know TT provide the traffic data and mapping for BMW but the routing algorithms are worlds apart, so I always have TT front of house.
Out of curiosity and to know how you manage this : Don't you get conflicting info in the HUD and central screen? I presume you follow the instructions given by TT. But then what is the point of having Idrive showing info on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity and to know how you manage this : Don't you get conflicting info in the HUD and central screen? I presume you follow the instructions given by TT. But then what is the point of having Idrive showing info on the HUD.
Yes and TT gets priority, but most of the time they agree on the route. The only reason I use idrive nav is to integrate with the semi-autonomous driving as it works better when nav is engaged.

The other scenario is when the passengers are watching plex or youtube, then having the HUD navigation can be useful, plus the car will wiggle the wheel to remind me when to come off at an exit, even though I cant see the nav screen.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and TT gets priority, but most of the time they agree on the route. The only reason I use idrive nav is to integrate with the semi-autonomous driving as it works better when nav is engaged.

The other scenario is when the passengers are watching plex or youtube, then having the HUD navigation can be useful, plus the car will wiggle the wheel to remind me when to come off at an exit, even though I cant see the nav screen.
Thanks for your tip ifr. I tried it today and it worked indeed like you said (of course) and this is quite valuable for 45e owners. For the 45e it is also better to plan the trip in i drive even if you know it because it can plan optimal electric driving.

Like this I have Tom Tom navigation and speed camera notifications on the big screen with Tom Tom and the idrive instructions in the HUD and between the meters.

Hybrid driving is optimized by navigating the trip in idrive.

TT and idrive agreed on most instructions and routes. So functionally it is almost like have TT in the HUD.

The Tom Tom navigation screen reacts quicker than Waze and is nicer to navigate. For route planning and avoiding traffic jams I still have to test which one is better.

If other 45e drivers like to try:

I enter my destination and send it to idrive with the CD app (I alway do it like this) and do the same in the Tom Tom app (like this it is in last destinations an much easier to enter in the car).

Open TT in CP, enter the navigation and start navigating. Then go back to Idrive navigation and start navigating to the same destination. It takes over and shows instructions in the HUD. If you now chose CP again it will show TT navigation but idrive will still show instruction in the HUD. Sound more difficult than it is.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      10-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Works a treat using TomTom and iDrive at the same time on an F30 as well - I need to do more comparisons but I think I prefer TT to Waze, display is better and the speed camera alerts are far less intrusive.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #19
Chris-lsd
Rep
Drives: i3s,X5 45e

The very early m21 45e's came with the march sw, mine did, and is still waiting for the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #20
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Sorry OP I digress, I am not sure if any of you have rear seat entertainment RSE; I wonder if I play something from Plex using CP then can I have RSE play the same in theatre mood?

I use Plex a lot and this integration will be simply amazing. I'll get the RSE with my build nonetheless (looked into it and made up my mind) 😀 I got excited when you guys mentioned Plex.
      10-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #21
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:

Just got a new X5 and Apple Maps directions are not showing up in HUD. Anything I need to select to make the happen? Only seeing speed, speed limit and tach.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just got a new X5 and Apple Maps directions are not showing up in HUD. Anything I need to select to make the happen? Only seeing speed, speed limit and tach.
In iDrive go to CAR > SETTINGS > GENERAL SETTINGS > REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE.

On the right it will say what your current software version is. What does it say?

Previous Rides
Appreciate 0