10-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Order submitted. Nothing can be done now?

Hei,

Last Wednesday I made a likely big mistake. Because of a change in my job situation, I'll have to lease (or buy) a new car. Considering that today I have a 330e from 2019, I thought I'd lease or buy the same car but in xDrive Touring flavour.

When I went to the dealer last Wednesday, my sales rep. told me that was the last day of the Q for BMW, and that he didn't know if some of the promotions would be available already next day, given that BMW would likely try to increase prices to compensate for some of the investments it had to make due to Covid.

I received a good deal for the 3 series. The problem started when I asked "And what about the X5?". He gave me a good price for the X5, and even helped me check the cost for the insurance. What I didn't realize at the moment was that I'd definitely have to add more extra equipment to make the car fit how I like my cars, and that the cost of the insurance is quite a bit more expensive than what he saw on his screen.

My logic was "the 45e can drive a lot more in electric mode than the 3 series, and that money I can use it for compensating some of the price difference", but the higher cost of the insurance would offset any savings.

I sent a message to the sales rep a bit after they had closed that same day, and he told me it was impossible to stop the order I had signed earlier that day because the dude sending the orders to BMW had already done so. This, for a car that will likely be produced in April for delivery in May 2021.

After further inspection of the costs associated with having an X5 vs a 3 series, I think the only wise thing to do is to change the order for the latter instead.

So here are my questions: Is there anything the dealer can do to help me change the order? Is it too problematic /impossible to cancel or change an already submitted order? Could they reassign my order to another customer?

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
Hei,

Last Wednesday I made a likely big mistake. Because of a change in my job situation, I'll have to lease (or buy) a new car. Considering that today I have a 330e from 2019, I thought I'd lease or buy the same car but in xDrive Touring flavour.

When I went to the dealer last Wednesday, my sales rep. told me that was the last day of the Q for BMW, and that he didn't know if some of the promotions would be available already next day, given that BMW would likely try to increase prices to compensate for some of the investments it had to make due to Covid.

I received a good deal for the 3 series. The problem started when I asked "And what about the X5?". He gave me a good price for the X5, and even helped me check the cost for the insurance. What I didn't realize at the moment was that I'd definitely have to add more extra equipment to make the car fit how I like my cars, and that the cost of the insurance is quite a bit more expensive than what he saw on his screen.

My logic was "the 45e can drive a lot more in electric mode than the 3 series, and that money I can use it for compensating some of the price difference", but the higher cost of the insurance would offset any savings.

I sent a message to the sales rep a bit after they had closed that same day, and he told me it was impossible to stop the order I had signed earlier that day because the dude sending the orders to BMW had already done so. This, for a car that will likely be produced in April for delivery in May 2021.

After further inspection of the costs associated with having an X5 vs a 3 series, I think the only wise thing to do is to change the order for the latter instead.

So here are my questions: Is there anything the dealer can do to help me change the order? Is it too problematic /impossible to cancel or change an already submitted order? Could they reassign my order to another customer?
As long as the car is still in scheduled for production status (code 112), you can make some changes before production begins (code 150). Ask your dealer for production number and call BMW genius (1 844 443 6487) to find out what status the car is in, then let ur client advisor at the dealer know you would like to make changes as the car is not in production yet.

Also you are not obligated to take the car when it arrives unless you actually want it. Obviously u can't go around ordering cars you won't take but if you made a deal-breaker mistake on your order then call your dealer talk to them, see if you can make changes or if you correct the mistake by ordering another car.

Finally, never put pen to paper until the car arrives, you see it and decide you are comfortable with buying or leasing the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

A few things. None of the incentives for the end of the September or even October are valid for a car that will be delivered in May 21. The dealer doesn't even count you as a sale for that month. Did you fill out a credit application? The salesman was likely just trying to get you to commit and now will use the "too hard to back out" tactic to try to keep you.

Incentives are only a 60 day lock (90 for west coast I believe). So unless you are getting a car in December. There isn't really much commitment by either party.

I doubt you even have a production number this far out. I also doubt they even have an allocation for the 45e if they are saying may 2021. Orders can be changed typically up to a week before they enter the production queue.

Likely what happened is they don't have an allocation. I was about to buy a 40i and had the numbers worked out. Then last second I said I'd like a 45e. My dealer checked and they had 0 allocations coming. It's a popular car right now. One phone call by the manager to another dealer and they traded an existing car/allocation for the 45e allocation going into production the following week. At worst it would have been a build for the next month.

Long story short. It sounds like they are full of it. You can leave and most definitely you can get that car before May 21
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Just one clarification, in case of that it makes a differences: I live in Norway, not the US. While the consumer/contract laws here are very likely different to the US (even California), I wonder if it's such a closed deal from a BMW perspective, as the dealer is telling me.

Also, one more consideration: the dealer told me I can spec the car whatever way I want from today to well into 2021, but what I want to do is to change the X5 for a 330e Touring instead, i.e. a completely different car.

Would this change things?

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Just one clarification, in case of that it makes a differences: I live in Norway, not the US. While the consumer/contract laws here are very likely different to the US (even California), I wonder if it's such a closed deal from a BMW perspective, as the dealer is telling me.

Also, one more consideration: the dealer told me I can spec the car whatever way I want from today to well into 2021, but what I want to do is to change the X5 for a 330e Touring instead, i.e. a completely different car.

I really don't see the dealer having a problem doing this. They still have a customer, and there is no way they put the order for your x5 into bmw 8 months in advance. In my opinion you aren't really changing anything since no order has truly been placed with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
Quote:

I really don't see the dealer having a problem doing this. They still have a customer, and there is no way they put the order for your x5 into bmw 8 months in advance. In my opinion you aren't really changing anything since no order has truly been placed with BMW.
Yea you should be able to change to another car. The dealer can keep the allocation for another customer or spec the car for sale to other customers. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Thank you guys for all the advice. Much appreciated!

Appreciate 0