10-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 s40i 2020

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Tuning...

I finally found a tuning company in my area. Just finished the tune earlier today and so far, the difference, when pushing the pedal hard is strong!
I’m glad I found someone that could finally tune my X5!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipak View Post
I finally found a tuning company in my area. Just finished the tune earlier today and so far, the difference, when pushing the pedal hard is strong!
I’m glad I found someone that could finally tune my X5!
Any specifics? Flash tune? What tune are you running?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

40i or M60i?

Which time did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Any specifics? Flash tune? What tune are you running?
I went with a flash tune. Company called Noelle Performance. Somewhat new to the game. Deep history that checks out. I have a 40i so it’s for the B58 motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
X5/40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i 2023

Quote:
I went with a flash tune. Company called Noelle Performance. Somewhat new to the game. Deep history that checks out. I have a 40i so it’s for the B58 motor.
Hey there, I read on their website that they have warranty in case something happen, so when you take it to service they will notice your tune? Also the difference in power is that much on pulling?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5/40i View Post
Hey there, I read on their website that they have warranty in case something happen, so when you take it to service they will notice your tune? Also the difference in power is that much on pulling?
Yes, they have a warranty that matches the pre-2017 BMW warranty...4 years or 50,000 miles.

So far from little tests, the pull in comfort mode is very strong when you significantly press the peddle mid way on all the way. Other than that it behaves extremely mild mannered, just a bit more torque feeling, than factory.

When in Sport or Sport plus is when it really shows off it’s strength! I did one pull on the highway yesterday in Sport Plus and I was quickly at 140mph.

Smooth and extremely strong.
Appreciate 1
X5/40i88.50
      10-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5/40i View Post
PSA:
Any tuning company's "warranty" - including Dinan - is NOT a warranty; it's insurance with fineprint: BMWNA can deny you warranty coverage at any time for any reason without proving anything (MM Act only comes into play years later in court).

What tuning companies may offer is insurance (w/fineprint) to cover the maintenance costs should BMWNA deny you warranty coverage for a problem the tuning company *agrees* is directly due to the tune; at which point you've likely completely lost your BMWNA warranty forever meaning even if tuner-insurance covers incident #1, unrelated incidents #2-#x are all you.

Net-net: if you tune and BMWNA denys you warranty work, your BMWNA warranty is likely toast and your tuner-insurance likely won't cover things not directly related to the tune so you'd be on your own (and that's assuming the tuner-insurance covers tune relate problems in the first place).

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-06-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
PSA:
Any tuning company's "warranty" - including Dinan - is NOT a warranty; it's insurance with fineprint: BMWNA can deny you warranty coverage at any time for any reason without proving anything (MM Act only comes into play years later in court).

What tuning companies may offer is insurance (w/fineprint) to cover the maintenance costs should BMWNA deny you warranty coverage for a problem the tuning company *agrees* is directly due to the tune; at which point you've likely completely lost your BMWNA warranty forever meaning even if tuner-insurance covers incident #1, unrelated incidents #2-#x are all you.

Net-net: if you tune and BMWNA denys you warranty work, your BMWNA warranty is likely toast and your tuner-insurance likely won't cover things not directly related to the tune so you'd be on your own (and that's assuming the tuner-insurance covers tune relate problems in the first place).
One thing to remember too is that flashes are an insta-void now. This is no longer a maybe, but a guarantee. With the new ISTA, the second your dealer connects to your DME, it auto uploads whether torque targets are breached. The old days where your dealer had to look are over. If you flash, you need to understand that your powertrain warranty is gone.

Side note, is Dinan even still in existence? I thought Steve started his own company called CarBahn? Their tune is only $1250 and they are claiming 698 hp / 703 tq. That bang for the buck is absolutely enormous. I spoke with someone that drove one today and he said the difference is huge.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
One thing to remember too is that flashes are an insta-void now. This is no longer a maybe, but a guarantee. With the new ISTA, the second your dealer connects to your DME, it auto uploads whether torque targets are breached. The old days where your dealer had to look are over. If you flash, you need to understand that your powertrain warranty is gone.

Side note, is Dinan even still in existence? I thought Steve started his own company called CarBahn? Their tune is only $1250 and they are claiming 698 hp / 703 tq. That bang for the buck is absolutely enormous. I spoke with someone that drove one today and he said the difference is huge.
Dinan exists and so does Carbahn.

This post is regarding the tune on had installed for the B58 motor and does not produce the power you are referring to for the 8-cylinder motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Why always a low poster that is showing up and saying that they are satisfied with Noelle.

Their tunes has been debunked in F90 M5 and F9x M8 forums.

You guys might want to search there before believing in this tune that is made by someone who used to work for Dinan.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #11
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Why always a low poster that is showing up and saying that they are satisfied with Noelle.

You guys might want to search there before believing in this tune that is made by someone who used to work for Dinan.
Funny that myself, who has no affiliation with any products, is trying to give my opinion of what I just had done is being criticized by another forum user who is affiliated with a certain product?

In my area, being Atlanta, Ga, has nothing that I could find for tuning my X5.

Don’t troll posts when all I’m trying to do is give my opinion to try and help other users of what might be available.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:

Funny that myself, who has no affiliation with any products, is trying to give my opinion of what I just had done is being criticized by another forum user who is affiliated with a certain product?

In my area, being Atlanta, Ga, has nothing that I could find for tuning my X5.

Don’t troll posts when all I’m trying to do is give my opinion to try and help other users of what might be available.
Hmm, why offended so easily if what I am saying is the truth.

Why don't you show a dyno number or dragy result, instead of just saying that you've found the greatest tune.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
DarkKnight21
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i 2021

Congrats on your tune. I'm new to this sight, being that I've just ordered my 1st BMW in 20 yrs. Had a 1990 M3 back in 1997 when I was stationed in Germany.

Any who, I wanted to comment because I had looked into the Noelle tune there in Atlanta. They do offer a warranty that rides along with factory warranty or a 2 year warranty if your vehicle is out of warranty. I'm glad you are happy with the tune and can tell a major difference in power gains. They told me they don't build drag cars but they build performance cars. The one thing I didn't like about what they were telling me is that they will not do a dyno before nor after and if you do one you will lose your warranty with them. So with that said I was hesitant to deal with them since they couldn't show me real world gains. They got this big spill one proper dynos and wind efficiency . But, I'd love to hear down the road how it holds up for you. I'm still looking to get my new BMW tuned once someone reputable is able to tune the ECMs on the new 2021s.

I can understand why he got offended by your comment. Since he was telling you what he experienced for himself and you @r33_RGSport, basically said his opinion aint crap and called him a liar.

I'm looking forward to learning more about BMW community and my BMW and it's engine one this site.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      10-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:

Would these tell tale breached torque targets be present with the use of a JB4 or Race Chip? Not doubting or looking to debate as many of these discussions go just very interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Would these tell tale breached torque targets be present with the use of a JB4 or Race Chip? Not doubting or looking to debate as many of these discussions go just very interested.
100% no. The JB4 and Racechip are altering the signals fed to the DME, so it would never know that it breached torque targets.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #16
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
100% no. The JB4 and Racechip are altering the signals fed to the DME, so it would never know that it breached torque targets.
How do these cars calculate torque?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
How do these cars calculate torque?
I don't have the answer to that one. I do know that torque targets exist on the main DME and tranny DME. Both are tripped with flash tunes and the new ISTA will get you every single time.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #18
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight21 View Post
Congrats on your tune. I'm new to this sight, being that I've just ordered my 1st BMW in 20 yrs. Had a 1990 M3 back in 1997 when I was stationed in Germany.

Any who, I wanted to comment because I had looked into the Noelle tune there in Atlanta. They do offer a warranty that rides along with factory warranty or a 2 year warranty if your vehicle is out of warranty. I'm glad you are happy with the tune and can tell a major difference in power gains. They told me they don't build drag cars but they build performance cars. The one thing I didn't like about what they were telling me is that they will not do a dyno before nor after and if you do one you will lose your warranty with them. So with that said I was hesitant to deal with them since they couldn't show me real world gains. They got this big spill one proper dynos and wind efficiency . But, I'd love to hear down the road how it holds up for you. I'm still looking to get my new BMW tuned once someone reputable is able to tune the ECMs on the new 2021s.

I can understand why he got offended by your comment. Since he was telling you what he experienced for himself and you @r33_RGSport, basically said his opinion aint crap and called him a liar.

I'm looking forward to learning more about BMW community and my BMW and it's engine one this site.
It definitely felt like a gamble with the explanation they gave me about the dyno tests that they had done were not conclusive nor accurate since they haven’t been able to do a dyno test in a “accurate” environment with what they felt was the proper amount of air.

It’s new, and so far, it’s been up to what I was hoping for.

I will definitely follow up with my post in the future with my progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #19
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm, why offended so easily if what I am saying is the truth.

Why don't you show a dyno number or dragy result, instead of just saying that you've found the greatest tune.
First off, I did. Or say it was the greatest tune, so stop with your petty trolling to sell your own products.

Find someone in my area that does tuning and the you can continue your wanna be bashing.

Second, go ahead and at up a dyno, paid by you if you really hate this new tuning company?

Just stop being a typical internet tough guy with all your comments.

As I mentioned, I’m a consumer, that did some research, and went with what was available to me.

I’m giving my feedback to help anybody else out who may be in similar circumstances.
Appreciate 2
X5/40i88.50
      10-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
First off, I did. Or say it was the greatest tune, so stop with your petty trolling to sell your own products.

Find someone in my area that does tuning and the you can continue your wanna be bashing.

Second, go ahead and at up a dyno, paid by you if you really hate this new tuning company?

Just stop being a typical internet tough guy with all your comments.

As I mentioned, I’m a consumer, that did some research, and went with what was available to me.

I’m giving my feedback to help anybody else out who may be in similar circumstances.
I'm intrigued, exactly what research did you do? Did it involve crowd-sourced opinions or are you basing it on Noelle's marketing claims?

--
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #21
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I'm intrigued, exactly what research did you do? Did it involve crowd-sourced opinions or are you basing it on Noelle's marketing claims?

--
A little bit of both, but I leaned more, on limited “crowd-sourced” opinions.

My initial thought was to wait until this upcoming winter when I travel to southwest FL and book an appointment with a proven tuning company Forza Tuning.

I didn’t want to wait that long and next looked into Dinan because they have local dealers in Atlanta. They had nothing available nor any future timetable for the X5 40i series.

Then I found Noelle Performance, a new tuning company to the mainstream market.

It was a gamble, and it’s still new, but so far so good. And I didn’t really trust their website alone, since anybody clever, can produce a good looking website.

If my car keeps feeling this good in the future or something goes wrong 🤞🏼, as mentioned, I will definitely update my post.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

--
A little bit of both, but I leaned more, on limited "crowd-sourced" opinions.

My initial thought was to wait until this upcoming winter when I travel to southwest FL and book an appointment with a proven tuning company Forza Tuning.

I didn't want to wait that long and next looked into Dinan because they have local dealers in Atlanta. They had nothing available nor any future timetable for the X5 40i series.

Then I found Noelle Performance, a new tuning company to the mainstream market.

It was a gamble, and it's still new, but so far so good. And I didn't really trust their website alone, since anybody clever, can produce a good looking website.

If my car keeps feeling this good in the future or something goes wrong 🤞🏼, as mentioned, I will definitely update my post.
Understood.

But you skipped from "researched" and "limited evidence" to "gave it a try". My question is why? I can name 7 credible tuners with years of BMW performance-related data off the top of my head—Noelle isn't amongst them. And yet you chose Noelle. I'm trying to understand that decision and, I think many others on the forum, would love to understand your reasoning.

The risk involved in aftermarket tunes is substantial—I'm sure you know that—but without substantial data or a quid pro quo clause, I'm at a loss to understand your decision... hence I, too, question its legitimacy. There's a reason for my skepticism: I've seen many posts like yours in support of Noelle; not one—again, not one—came from someone with any attestable performance-mod history that imbue those claims with any semblance of experiential credibility.

I understand that *someone* has to be new to tuning but there are far more that are not new to tuning on these forums so I have to continue to question why. Why isn't there someone out there posting performance numbers or technical data or tangible before-and-after dyno data (no dynos... please) or side-by-side performance numbers.

That's kinda rhetorical—the online evidence, and evidence is important on this topic—and evidence is what I see an absence of... yet it exists for every other vendor.
Appreciate 4
r33_RGSport12803.00
GrussGott18113.00
j1980mac262.50