Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 s40i 2020

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Understood.

But you skipped from "researched" and "limited evidence" to "gave it a try". My question is why? I can name 7 credible tuners with years of BMW performance-related data off the top of my head—Noelle isn't amongst them. And yet you chose Noelle. I'm trying to understand that decision and, I think many others on the forum, would love to understand your reasoning.

The risk involved in aftermarket tunes is substantial—I'm sure you know that—but without substantial data or a quid pro quo clause, I'm at a loss to understand your decision... hence I, too, question its legitimacy. There's a reason for my skepticism: I've seen many posts like yours in support of Noelle; not one—again, not one—came from someone with any attestable performance-mod history that imbue those claims with any semblance of experiential credibility.

I understand that *someone* has to be new to tuning but there are far more that are not new to tuning on these forums so I have to continue to question why. Why isn't there someone out there posting performance numbers or technical data or tangible before-and-after dyno data (no dynos... please) or side-by-side performance numbers.

That's kinda rhetorical—the online evidence, and evidence is important on this topic—and evidence is what I see an absence of... yet it exists for every other vendor.
I understand what you are saying...but I sure couldn’t find any reputable tuners in the Atlanta area?

I had to make a decision based on my situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #24
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipak View Post
I understand what you are saying...but I sure couldn’t find any reputable tuners in the Atlanta area?

I had to make a decision based on my situation.
ECU tuning--unlike piggybacks--doesn't require locality. Most of the vendors I alluded to offer remote OBD-II based ECU tuning (granted, depending on the model and MY).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #25
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Understood.

But you skipped from "researched" and "limited evidence" to "gave it a try". My question is why? I can name 7 credible tuners with years of BMW performance-related data off the top of my head—Noelle isn't amongst them. And yet you chose Noelle. I'm trying to understand that decision and, I think many others on the forum, would love to understand your reasoning.

The risk involved in aftermarket tunes is substantial—I'm sure you know that—but without substantial data or a quid pro quo clause, I'm at a loss to understand your decision... hence I, too, question its legitimacy. There's a reason for my skepticism: I've seen many posts like yours in support of Noelle; not one—again, not one—came from someone with any attestable performance-mod history that imbue those claims with any semblance of experiential credibility.

I understand that *someone* has to be new to tuning but there are far more that are not new to tuning on these forums so I have to continue to question why. Why isn't there someone out there posting performance numbers or technical data or tangible before-and-after dyno data (no dynos... please) or side-by-side performance numbers.

That's kinda rhetorical—the online evidence, and evidence is important on this topic—and evidence is what I see an absence of... yet it exists for every other vendor.
Also, the dealer shop that installed the tune, did say they are “planning on” running a dyno session that they believe are “true” road conditions very soon. They mentioned the same reason as other dealers report why the past dyno tests don’t show linear power throughout the dyno is due to insufficient air flow. I can’t deny that explanation because if the power were erratic as the past dyno showed, then my truck would feel horrible.

🤷🏻*♂️

Plus I did ask the BMW dealership if the Noelle warranty covers any damages due to the tune, and they confirmed it is correct and covers any damages incurred from the tune.
Appreciate 1
X5/40i88.50
      10-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #26
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
ECU tuning--unlike piggybacks--doesn't require locality. Most of the vendors I alluded to offer remote OBD-II based ECU tuning (granted, depending on the model and MY).

I did ask DME tuning and they said I would have to be local. This also applied to another tuner I found on this forum. I forget their name...Autoplay I think? Based in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, the dealer shop that installed the tune, did say they are “planning on” running a dyno session that they believe are “true” road conditions very soon. They mentioned the same reason as other dealers report why the past dyno tests don’t show linear power throughout the dyno is due to insufficient air flow. I can’t deny that explanation because if the power were erratic as the past dyno showed, then my truck would feel horrible.

����*♂️

Plus I did ask the BMW dealership if the Noelle warranty covers any damages due to the tune, and they confirmed it is correct and covers any damages incurred from the tune.
Every other vendor without exception has dyno data--the air flow issue is resolved with MASSIVE-ARSED fans. I've dyno'd the followng cars before and after with proven, manufacturer-validating results.
1. F10 M5 (Dinan)
2. Another F10 M5 (Dinan and JB4)
3. An F06 M6 GC (JB4)
4. Another F06 M6 GC (JB4)
5. Audi RS7 Performance (APR stage 2 with Akra exhaust)
6. AMG E63S (Eurocharged ECU flash)
7. F90 M5 (JB4)
8. Another F90 M5 (JB4)
... I haven't dyno'd my current M8.

"Air flow"... c'mon.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did ask DME tuning and they said I would have to be local. This also applied to another tuner I found on this forum. I forget their name...Autoplay I think? Based in SoCal.
Agreed; depending on model and MY, that is certainly possible as of today.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I regret my attempt at assisting any other X5 owners that may be in my similar circumstance.

If you have any questions, simply DM me please, rather than submitting a comment or questions that thousands will criticize or have their $.02 cents about any comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #30
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Every other vendor without exception has dyno data--the air flow issue is resolved with MASSIVE-ARSED fans. I've dyno'd the followng cars before and after with proven, manufacturer-validating results.
1. F10 M5 (Dinan)
2. Another F10 M5 (Dinan and JB4)
3. An F06 M6 GC (JB4)
4. Another F06 M6 GC (JB4)
5. Audi RS7 Performance (APR stage 2 with Akra exhaust)
6. AMG E63S (Eurocharged ECU flash)
7. F90 M5 (JB4)
8. Another F90 M5 (JB4)
... I haven't dyno'd my current M8.

"Air flow"... c'mon.
They said their only successful dyno was accomplished in a closed wind tunnel.

I’m only going on what they told me.

And as I said, I chose to take a risk, and so far I am happy with the new tune.

Are you an X5 owner?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #31
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I regret my attempt at assisting any other X5 owners that may be in my similar circumstance.

If you have any questions, simply DM me please, rather than submitting a comment or questions that thousands will criticize or have their $.02 cents about any comments.
No, no, no--I'm not criticizing. I'm questioning the absence of data or reasoning and hence your post's credibility--there's a difference. You provided no data to help steer anyone toward Noelle--data is critical here.

So, to ensure you don't try and leave this thus-far unsubstantiated thread with some semblance of moral high-ground: please, post back results or commentary that contains compelling reasons why forum readers should follow your lead. Feel free to ask me for the same, I'll be happy to oblige for Dinan, Burger Tuning, APR, RaceChip and EuroCharged.

Last edited by limeypride; 10-07-2020 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #32
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:

Are you an X5 owner?
Closed wind tunnel? I probably have 100 dyno runs in my lifetime and have NEVER been in a wind tunnel. Not even once. Some of this stuff just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      10-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #33
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Are you an X5 owner?
I had an X5M for a short while that I tuned with a JB4 piggyback. Right now, I have an M8 Comp Gran Coupe tuned with another JB4 piggyback.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      10-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #34
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Closed wind tunnel? I probably have 100 dyno runs in my lifetime and have NEVER been in a wind tunnel. Not even once. Some of this stuff just doesn't make a lot of sense.
You have me beat on dyno runs... HOLY $$$HIT, Batman!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #35
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
You have me beat on dyno runs... HOLY $$$HIT, Batman!
You know how it goes. Some are for you. Some are for tuning. Some are because you wonder if the company is inflating gains. Some are for dyno days. Some are because you blew the clutch on the dyno. Some are because your buddy claims he has more horsepower than you and you bet him a beer.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      10-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
You know how it goes. Some are for you. Some are for tuning. Some are because you wonder if the company is inflating gains. Some are for dyno days. Some are because you blew the clutch on the dyno. Some are because your buddy claims he has more horsepower than you and you bet him a beer.
LMAO--that's the quite the list!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #37
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
No, no, no--I'm not criticizing. I'm question the absence of data and hence your post's credibility--there's a difference. You provided no data to help steer anyone toward Noelle--data is critical here.

So, to ensure you don't try and leave this thus-far unsubstantiated thread with some semblance of moral high-ground: please, post back results or commentary that contains compelling reasons why forum readers should follow your lead. Feel free to ask me for the same, I'll be happy to oblige for Dinan, Burger Tuning, APR, RaceChip and EuroCharged.
I will follow up in the future as mentioned, once I add mileage, and experience.

To add, I did have a Dinan piggyback unit on my prior F15 X5 35i series. It was fun and I did not have any problems with it for 68k miles. If this helps anyone.

But as of now, this is seriously wasting my time, and I regret submitting this post. I would prefer to answer DM’s from anybody interested in what I had done to my X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #38
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will follow up in the future as mentioned, once I add mileage, and experience.

To add, I did have a Dinan piggyback unit on my prior F15 X5 35i series. It was fun and I did not have any problems with it for 68k miles. If this helps anyone.

But as of now, this is seriously wasting my time, and I regret submitting this post. I would prefer to answer DM’s from anybody interested in what I had done to my X5.
... and we reset to #1 -- why did you choose Noelle and what would motivate a reader to DM you in light of substantiated claims from other proven vendors?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #39
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
I had an X5M for a short while that I tuned with a JB4 piggyback. Right now, I have an M8 Comp Gran Coupe tuned with another JB4 piggyback.
When you say "tuned with JB4" do you mean plug it into the TMAP sensors and OBD port and go or do you/Burger make changes to the JB4 as you go?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #40
X5/40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i 2023

Quote:

Hello there, first of all, I don’t know why such a simple post became a criticize post for no reason so men don’t pay attention to these haters ,I did ask the question I had because I want to tune my x5 in the near future and you are the first I see that actually have one on the 40i x5, so please I would like updates on your tune as the time goes on ,but yeah dont paid attention to other comments, have you thought on exhaust? I know Gthaus is working on one as well in a videoclip for sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #41
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
When you say "tuned with JB4" do you mean plug it into the TMAP sensors and OBD port and go or do you/Burger make changes to the JB4 as you go?
Yes, TMAP, EWG and OBD II are hooked up.

I refer to it as tuning regardless of the fact that it's a piggyback and regardless of whether the user treats it as a plug'n'play device--it affects the way the engine works hence, to me, it's tuned.

Personally, I run a custom map 6. I also work with Terry sometimes on beta firmware and the like but that isn't what classifies it as a "tune" to me.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #42
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5/40i View Post
Hello there, first of all, I don’t know why such a simple post became a criticize post for no reason so men don’t pay attention to these haters ,I did ask the question I had because I want to tune my x5 in the near future and you are the first I see that actually have one on the 40i x5, so please I would like updates on your tune as the time goes on ,but yeah dont paid attention to other comments, have you thought on exhaust? I know Gthaus is working on one as well in a videoclip for sound.
There was no intention to criticize. I wanted to understand the reasoning. I still don't.

Why did that lead to posts that you perceive as criticism you may ask? That's because Noelle has a reputation--a reputation that many believe includes them posting their own accolades as supposed consumers. It's tough to distinguish reality from underhanded marketing.

In addition, they abuse novice potential customers by publishing restrictions that prevent their tunes from being comparably tested.

These things and so many occurrences of unsubstantiated posts (sorry, OP, but just like yours) that *always* --and I mean every single time--come from apparent customers that have no online history/credibility/reputation... combined, they've caused these skeptical responses seeking some, any kind of validation.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #43
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Yes, TMAP, EWG and OBD II are hooked up.

I refer to it as tuning regardless of the fact that it's a piggyback and regardless of whether the user treats it as a plug'n'play device--it affects the way the engine works hence, to me, it's tuned.

Personally, I run a custom map 6. I also work with Terry sometimes on beta firmware and the like but that isn't what classifies it as a "tune" to me.
I understand. Just took delivery of a '21 X5 M50i and have about 500 miles on the clock so not quite at breakin point. I'm thinking of a JB4 at about 2,000 miles. I don't believe that the EWG level of tuning is up and running on the JB4 for my vehicle as of yet as the install instructions that I have seen posted say to just tuck them away for now. Sounds like those connections are little trickier to make also.
Either way looking forward to running the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #44
ipak
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5/40i View Post
I’ve always thought about an exhaust system, but since it really doesn’t do too much for performance gains, I can live without spending that much money on making the vehicle sound more aggressive.

It seems GTHaus is one of the best sounding systems that I have heard for our vehicles.
Appreciate 0