BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x6 M50i

Lowered x6 M50i

Finally finished up lowering my 2020 x6 M50i With the help of r33_sport, I was able to get the H&R springs ASAP. Initially I put spacers on the front and rear, 15mm/20mm respectively on the car thinking it would bring the wheels flush. However to my eyes, it made the car look like a monster truck, pushing the negative camber out to a more up right position. Aggressive, just not “stanced” to my expectations. Once the car was lowered, it brought the stance exactly to where I wanted.

It’s been less than 24hrs, but after a full day of driving, there seems to be little if any ride comfort compromise. I live in NYC, so a slight fall off of comfort would be immediately noticed. The handling has definitely improved, with even less pitch and dive, or swaying when cornering. I didn’t option DHP because of the delay it would have brought to delivery, so this setup seems to be the cheaper solution and preferable with stance in consideration. Also there was no option for air w/ M sport suspension when I ordered back in August 2019.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GOLFFRR10722.50
r33_RGSport12805.00
UltraDave127.00
eagle_bmw182.50
Mike_P20.50
      10-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

looks great!

hows the ride compared to stock setup?
      10-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice! turned out great.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Height looks superb! So you don't think it rides any more harsh than stock? Bouncy at all? How do the different damper settings (Sport, Comfort, Adaptive, etc) ride?

Thanks for being the test subject. A ton of us are interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
CarMan77
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay

Garage List
The look is perfect. Great job!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericlifestyle View Post
Finally finished up lowering my 2020 x6 M50i With the help of r33_sport, I was able to get the H&R springs ASAP. Initially I put spacers on the front and rear, 15mm/20mm respectively on the car thinking it would bring the wheels flush. However to my eyes, it made the car look like a monster truck, pushing the negative camber out to a more up right position. Aggressive, just not “stanced” to my expectations. Once the car was lowered, it brought the stance exactly to where I wanted.

It’s been less than 24hrs, but after a full day of driving, there seems to be little if any ride comfort compromise. I live in NYC, so a slight fall off of comfort would be immediately noticed. The handling has definitely improved, with even less pitch and dive, or swaying when cornering. I didn’t option DHP because of the delay it would have brought to delivery, so this setup seems to be the cheaper solution and preferable with stance in consideration. Also there was no option for air w/ M sport suspension when I ordered back in August 2019.
Looks good.
Thank you for your business and the shoutout.
I will steal your pictures for my IG, if you don't mind.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
looks great!

hows the ride compared to stock setup?
Thx!
It’s been a short time since the work was completed, but the the ride feels very little changed from stock. I’m definitely more conscious of road imperfections however.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
nice! turned out great.
Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Height looks superb! So you don't think it rides any more harsh than stock? Bouncy at all? How do the different damper settings (Sport, Comfort, Adaptive, etc) ride?

Thanks for being the test subject. A ton of us are interested.
Still early, the car was done late last night, so my sample size is small. But as of now, not to bouncey and the harshness isn’t dialed up to much. I will say this, I have not gone through sport or sport + but the car feels more balanced in comfort than in adaptive. It. feel a bit more “loose” in that mode. Adaptive used to be my preference stock unless I was ready to be aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Looks good.
Thank you for your business and the shoutout.
I will steal your pictures for my IG, if you don't mind.
Absolutely! Thanks for being prompt on shipping, much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      10-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Still early, the car was done late last night, so my sample size is small. But as of now, not to bouncey and the harshness isn’t dialed up to much. I will say this, I have not gone through sport or sport + but the car feels more balanced in comfort than in adaptive. It. feel a bit more “loose” in that mode. Adaptive used to be my preference stock unless I was ready to be aggressive.
Like you, I am over this 4x4 look and want it lowered. I just don't want it to be rough. Any chance you can update in a few days after you have had more time to get a feeling?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #12
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like you, I am over this 4x4 look and want it lowered. I just don't want it to be rough. Any chance you can update in a few days after you have had more time to get a feeling?
Got u! I’m most likely gonna drive to cars and coffee in Catskills on Sunday. Plenty of turns and uneven roads. Then, I’ll have a much better understanding. Another thing, I’m told that the car will settle approximately 1/4in over time (100miles). At that time, I’ll need a full alignment to completely line it all up. But as of now, no noticeable difference in feel except how the car hits potholes. No Changing that. SMH
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #13
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got u! I’m most likely gonna drive to cars and coffee in Catskills on Sunday. Plenty of turns and uneven roads. Then, I’ll have a much better understanding. Another thing, I’m told that the car will settle approximately 1/4in over time (100miles). At that time, I’ll need a full alignment to completely line it all up. But as of now, no noticeable difference in feel except how the car hits potholes. No Changing that. SMH
I don't mind sporty like what we have in sport mode right now, but I just don't want it to be bouncy or rough. I think we all get that hard impacts will still feel worse (potholes), but I am not sure that can be avoided when you remove 1.5" of travel on the dampers.

The stance looks fantastic. Generally all suspension will settle a bit after driving around. I think we have a winner on height though.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #14
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Congrats Bro.

This is the exact combo I am looking at for my X5.

Don't know if I should do this before the winter though with snow and all.

I'm gonna PM you about Cars and Coffee in Catskill.

I'm in CT but wanted to know about any local Cars and Coffee events in the tri-state area.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:16 AM   #15
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't mind sporty like what we have in sport mode right now, but I just don't want it to be bouncy or rough. I think we all get that hard impacts will still feel worse (potholes), but I am not sure that can be avoided when you remove 1.5" of travel on the dampers.

The stance looks fantastic. Generally all suspension will settle a bit after driving around. I think we have a winner on height though.
Absolutely agree. No unnecessary bounce to report. Will tap in on sport mode shortly
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Beautiful. I think the X5 looks fantastic with a moderate drop.

The X6 however, looks twice as good dropped. Perhaps it is the lower roofline, or just the overall shape of the car.... but I swear the wheels look 2 inches larger the moment you get rid of the wheel gap on an X6.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:

It looks great, a big improvement over stock!

I installed the ACS springs on my M50i which lowered it about an 1 inch in back and 1.25 in front. They are definitely firmer, but looks much better. However I have even considered going back to the stock springs. The reason is it feels like the front is nose heavy now, most likely because the front went down more than the rear and the rear springs rating went up by higher percentage. It probably handles better at the limit but at lower cornering speeds just feels like too much weight has shifted forward from stock and can be bouncy unless in sport mode. I wish it could be lowered and still have the same ride as stock. I wonder what would happen if I rotated the front springs to the back?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Looks really good and thanks for sharing! I'm interested in this as well.

Q: Is the alignment required after installing the springs or wait until it settles like you said?
      10-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
It looks great, a big improvement over stock!

I installed the ACS springs on my M50i which lowered it about an 1 inch in back and 1.25 in front. They are definitely firmer, but looks much better. However I have even considered going back to the stock springs. The reason is it feels like the front is nose heavy now, most likely because the front went down more than the rear and the rear springs rating went up by higher percentage. It probably handles better at the limit but at lower cornering speeds just feels like too much weight has shifted forward from stock and can be bouncy unless in sport mode. I wish it could be lowered and still have the same ride as stock. I wonder what would happen if I rotated the front springs to the back?
That part I have no clue about. I do believe that the ACS springs were setup to have a more sporty feel than the H&R’s. That’s a interesting observation about the nose feeling over loaded. Again, I haven’t had enough seat time to differentiate. Today it sat all day, but tomorrow I’ll definitely be paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #20
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Looks really good and thanks for sharing! I'm interested in this as well.

Q: Is the alignment required after installing the springs or wait until it settles like you said?
Thanks for the compliment. I was told by my shop to drive about 100 miles to allow settling. Then get a four wheel alignment since it’s been heavily altered.
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      10-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #21
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Beautiful. I think the X5 looks fantastic with a moderate drop.

The X6 however, looks twice as good dropped. Perhaps it is the lower roofline, or just the overall shape of the car.... but I swear the wheels look 2 inches larger the moment you get rid of the wheel gap on an X6.
I think it’s a mixture of all you mentioned. The spacers I added was also essential is proving the proper stance. Without it the wheels would just tucked, as if slammed. Always hated that look.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #22
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Any update to ride quality? Have you had a chance to try out different damper settings?

I am anxious.
Appreciate 0