BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Anyone know how to install exhaust tips on the G05 40i?

Anyone have instructions on how to replace the exhaust tips on the G05?

I thought it was going to be a pretty straightforward install. However, there are two fasteners that hold the tips on that are very difficult to reach.

I'm hoping someone here has some tips/tricks or advice before I dismantle the rear bumper.

Thanks in advance!

***UPDATE*** (Consolidating to make it easier to find this info.)

I just finished the exhaust tips install and learned a few things.

1. You DO NOT have follow the factory procedures and remove the entire rear bumper. I spent 3 hours trying to follow the procedures in the TIS. It was entirely too much work and 1 hour of the time was spent trying to recover a taillight spacer I dropped into the bumper.

2. The exhaust tips can be removed with the rear bumper attached. The caveat being my 40i has a tow hitch and I am not sure if the regular non-tow hitch bumper is the same as far as access from the bottom.

3. You will need a small 1/4" ratchet...the shorter the better. You will also need a short and extended 8mm socket and a 10mm socket along with a small flat screwdriver.

4. Detach the under-trays behind each rear wheel by removing the 8mm fasteners. Detach the heat shields from each side be removing the 10mm nuts (you will need to unplug the exhaust valve plug on the passenger side).

5. The exhaust tips are secured to a plastic carrier by (3) 8mm screws. They are blind and difficult to reach. Use an extended 8mm socket to reach the single screw on the outboard side of the carrier. Use a short 8mm socket to reach the (2) screws on the inner side of the carrier. I had to reach the inner screws from the center of the rear bumper. It's a VERY tight fit.

6. The exhaust tips are further held in place by (2) plastic retention clips on the carrier. You can reach the retention clips from the outside rear of the bumper with a small flat screwdriver. You will push up on the clips and pull the exhaust tips out.

7. The install is the reverse of the removal, but it's a bit tricky to get all (4) tabs aligned back into the carrier. There are two metal tabs on the top of the exhaust tip that need to slide back into the retaining slots on the plastic carrier. The tab with the screw hole is difficult to get back in and I had to push the plastic carrier back towards the wheel well to gain enough clearance to get the tab back into the slot.

It was quite a steep learning curve. The driver side exhaust tip took me 3 hours to figure it out. I had the passenger side exhaust tip installed in 15 mins. Good luck!

Last edited by vinnymac; 02-15-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 5
      02-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

bump this. I am looking to paint these bad boys.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...per/1VndGv2SPN

About a third of the way down the page. Hope you don’t actually have to do all those steps!!
Appreciate 1
ncm5guy27.50
      02-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post

About a third of the way down the page. Hope you don’t actually have to do all those steps!!

Oh sweet jesus….

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
Quote:

About a third of the way down the page. Hope you don't actually have to do all those steps!!

Oh sweet jesus….

Thanks for the info!

1. You DO NOT have follow the factory procedures and remove the entire rear bumper. I spent 3 hours trying to follow the procedures in the TIS. It was entirely too much work and 1 hour of the time was spent trying to recover a taillight spacer I dropped into the bumper.

2. The exhaust tips can be removed with the rear bumper attached. The caveat being my 40i has a tow hitch and I am not sure if the regular non-tow hitch bumper is the same as far as access from the bottom.

3. You will need a small 1/4" ratchet...the shorter the better. You will also need a short and extended 8mm socket and a 10mm socket along with a small flat screwdriver.

4. Detach the under-trays behind each rear wheel by removing the 8mm fasteners. Detach the heat shields from each side be removing the 10mm nuts (you will need to unplug the exhaust valve plug on the passenger side).

5. The exhaust tips are secured to a plastic carrier by (3) 8mm screws. They are blind and difficult to reach. Use an extended 8mm socket to reach the single screw on the outboard side of the carrier. Use a short 8mm socket to reach the (2) screws on the inner side of the carrier. I had to reach the inner screws from the center of the rear bumper. It's a VERY tight fit.

6. The exhaust tips are further held in place by (2) plastic retention clips on the carrier. You can reach the retention clips from the outside rear of the bumper with a small flat screwdriver. You will push up on the clips and pull the exhaust tips out.

7. The install is the reverse of the removal, but it's a bit tricky to get all (4) tabs aligned back into the carrier. There are two metal tabs on the top of the exhaust tip that need to slide back into the retaining slots on the plastic carrier. The tab with the screw hole is difficult to get back in and I had to push the plastic carrier back towards the wheel well to gain enough clearance to get the tab back into the slot.

It was quite a steep learning curve. The driver side exhaust tip took me 3 hours to figure it out. I had the passenger side exhaust tip installed in 15 mins. Good luck!

Last edited by vinnymac; 02-11-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
ssadri68.50
MystroX56243.00
      02-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I went to my dealer today to get the tips installed and they quoted me 4-5 hours of labor..i walked away, I can't justify spending $130/hr to get these tips installed. I'm going to try to find someone else who can do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
I went to my dealer today to get the tips installed and they quoted me 4-5 hours of labor..i walked away, I can't justify spending $130/hr to get these tips installed. I'm going to try to find someone else who can do it for me.
I bet they are quoting book time from the ETK. 4-5 hours sounds right based on the factory recommended procedure of removing your entire rear bumper.

I suggest you find someone that is mechanically inclined to do it. They should be able to do both exhaust tips in about an hour.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Hotdog79
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

About a third of the way down the page. Hope you don't actually have to do all those steps!!

Oh sweet jesus….

Thanks for the info!

It's was quite a steep learning curve. The driver side exhaust tip took me 3 hours to figure it out. I had the passenger side exhaust tip installed in 15 mins. Good luck!
Works👍 Thank you for the description!

Dirty but nice
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
gtank116.00
cjack29.50
russell21147.00
      02-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschem View Post
Works👍 Thank you for the description!

Dirty but nice
Glad it worked out!

That's what my car looks like right now...dirty w/black exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

It's was quite a steep learning curve. The driver side exhaust tip took me 3 hours to figure it out. I had the passenger side exhaust tip installed in 15 mins. Good luck!
Thanks for these instructions. Took four hours total but it worked!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
gtank116.00
salfeet84308.00
ssadri68.50
X54TH891.50
      02-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Looks awesome Bichoo!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No problem. Glad the instructions were helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:35 AM   #13
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Final Result.
So much better without that chrome!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Final Result.
So much better without that chrome!
Looking good!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Good write up OP.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #16
dksha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Do you have any picture instruction on how to do it?
Based on what I am readying, you are removing the bottom part first then remove the stuff inside one by one, right?

Last edited by dksha; 04-11-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have just done 1 today. Unfortunately too busy to take pictures for step by step instruction.

I will take some pictures when I am doing the X7 couple weeks from now, which should be the same process.

But, in the meantime, here are the pictures.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

So much nicer without the chrome. The M-sport should automatically come like that.
      04-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #19
cworzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X5 xDrive40 M-Sport

Exhaust tips installation pointers

I just finished installing the black exhaust tips using the “simple” method, without removing the rear bumper cover.

Here are a couple of tips to help the job go smoother.
1) Before you begin, Put painters tape or something else between the chrome exhaust tips and the painted surround. This will reduce the chances of scratching or scuffing the paint as you remove or install the exhaust tips.
2) I found using an 8mm gear wrench for the two inside screws holding the exhaust tips was significantly easier than using a socket and ratchet.

I hope these tips help the next person out!😄
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #20
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

I feel like an idiot, reading the instruction sounds easy, but not working for me. anyone have photo instruction?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #21
genericgio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5 xdrive48i

Great write up! Thanks for the tips.

Took me 3 hours total. Next time I’ll wait for the M50i.

Some additional tips

1. Do the driver’s side first. The passenger side is more difficult due to the wiring harness obscuring the top inner bolt.

2. Make sure you mask the area around the opening with painters tape. Add a second and third layer for good measure.

3. I found it difficult to completely remove the passenger side heat shield, instead I unbolted it and pulled it forward far enough to unblock the exhaust cover.

4. Added some pics. My apologies in advance, the bolts are not visible from underneath the car. Just feel around until your hand starts to bleed. I’ve also included the annotated TIS image as it helped me visualize what I could not see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
G050i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 50i w/ M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericgio View Post
Great write up! Thanks for the tips.

Took me 3 hours total. Next time I’ll wait for the M50i.

Some additional tips

1. Do the driver’s side first. The passenger side is more difficult due to the wiring harness obscuring the top inner bolt.

2. Make sure you mask the area around the opening with painters tape. Add a second and third layer for good measure.

3. I found it difficult to completely remove the passenger side heat shield, instead I unbolted it and pulled it forward far enough to unblock the exhaust cover.

4. Added some pics. My apologies in advance, the bolts are not visible from underneath the car. Just feel around until your hand starts to bleed. I’ve also included the annotated TIS image as it helped me visualize what I could not see.
What's going everyone? New to the forum but have been reading posts for a few months now since I took delivery of my G05 2 weeks ago. Great tips and insight and just general info. Thanks

I wanted to just ask about the install of these exhaust tips bc I tried everything to a T this past weekend and breezed thru all the steps up until the dreaded "invisible" screws holding the exhaust tip. I just want to confirm if it's 2 or 3 screws bc from my visual look, it only looked like 2 screws and i've read some stating 2 and some stating 3. Nevertheless, these were like many said, really really difficult to get too. I just dont see how there's enough spacing to even get a proper 8mm wrench in there whether socket or gear? Any additional tips or pictures if possible would help greatly. I had to bail on the project after like 2 hours of staring and trying on the passenger side.

Again, thanks to everyone for their tips and general insight on the G05 thus far!
Appreciate 0