09-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #45
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Whether or not a FCEV pollutes less than a BEV depends on how the hydrogen is generated and how the electricity is generated. Currently a BEV is generally better for the environment due to how the majority of hydrogen is produced.

Here is a link to an article that is a few years old but I believe still is accurate.

https://phys.org/news/2015-07-fuel-c...-friendly.html
But if you are going to consider how hydrogen is produced don't you also have to consider how batteries are produced and their useful life?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
But if you are going to consider how hydrogen is produced don't you also have to consider how batteries are produced and their useful life?
To be a complete comparison I would think those details should be taken into account. I didn't read the complete study, it could be they took that into account, the battery issue wasn't significant or they weren't complete.

Edit: I guess the studies could go into the absurd. For example you should also then take into account how the hydrogen is stored and distributed, then go into extra wiring needed for home charging, etc. I would imagine there are diminishing returns on that extreme level of analysis.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 09-20-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Yes, absolutely. It is a complex problem and often leads to data manipulation by advocates of competing vehicle propulsion technologies such as BEV, FCEV, and even PHEV, in order to claim supremacy over one another.

It is important to recognize that, even if we were to assume for the sake of argument that we had a carbon-neutral raw material acquisition process, manufacturing process, and energy distribution system for both batteries and hydrogen fuel cells (and we further assume that the rest of the parts used in the vehicles employing these two technologies are for all intents and purposes equivalent), there are other factors to consider. For example, lithium mining which is obviously necessary for Li-ion batteries used in today's BEVs, even if it were carbon neutral, has other negative impacts on the environment. Hydrogen storage, on the other hand, which is necessary for near-term FCEV infrastructure, can involve a wide array of toxic chemicals.

It is one more reason that, for the time being anyway, these two types of EV technology can be thought of as complementary. There are valid use cases for both.
Appreciate 0