08-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #199
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Thanks for your enlightening reply ifr, I stand corrected in that I didn't know BMW did in fact release their changes for OTA's and believed they did not. Is this also true for software updates done by dealers before they install the update? I mean do they present you the list or refer you to where the list is so you can read it? I know if you take your car to the dealer and are complaining about something software related, they may update you to the latest level but that level probably contains more than the fix you want, so is there a way to know that?
No problems.

The release notes for the ISTA delivered dealer upgrades focus on what can go wrong with the upgrade, known issues that kind of thing. There are also feature bulletins issued that your dealer can choose to share with you but I do not believe are obliged to. Examples have been copied and pasted on this forum for 07/2020.x in some posts.
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      08-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #200
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
No, but I haven't tried, 07/2020.xx only holds disappointment for me right now.
Can you be more specific as to what disappointments you are talking about?
Relative to my 11/2019.40 install:
- heard of no new deployed features that I value
- heard of no bug fixes that I value
- note that I even have to go on hearsay since BMW is not organized enough to tell us what they changed
- camera switching with gear shift bug still exists and uncertainty that the coding fix to deal with it will even take this time
- confusion or even possibly inability to code anti-dazzle back in after update
- various new random unexplained crashes, software instability, and connected drive issues seem to be all over the forum
- I am sure I can think of more if I try ...

Why would I inflict any of that on myself? It's not like BMW is paying me to be an alpha tester ... they actively prevented me from submitting bug reports. Screw it and them.
@LexxM3, I got a virtual free upgrade to 22" wheel in my 3D view + the color and trim now match my car.

Seriously though, the biggest disappointment to me is the absence of release notes in almost all new releases, as @ifr already explained with better details.
Attached Images

08-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #201
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Relative to my 11/2019.40 install:
- heard of no new deployed features that I value
- heard of no bug fixes that I value
- note that I even have to go on hearsay since BMW is not organized enough to tell us what they changed
- camera switching with gear shift bug still exists and uncertainty that the coding fix to deal with it will even take this time
- confusion or even possibly inability to code anti-dazzle back in after update
- various new random unexplained crashes, software instability, and connected drive issues seem to be all over the forum
- I am sure I can think of more if I try ...
- heard of no new deployed features that I value - how do you know if you don't try yourself? Maybe there are features that you value that others don't? Why wait for everyone else to do the spade work....
- heard of no bug fixes that I value - reference above. What bugs do you have? model/region specific so who knows if there are any for your specific model if you dont try.
- note that I even have to go on hearsay since BMW is not organised enough to tell us what they changed - 07/2020 is not part of RSU. Wait for OTA and you will get release notes, otherwise it's a warranty upgrade to fix a warrantable issue. If CA are not getting RSU that's a different matter.
- camera switching with gear shift bug still exists and uncertainty that the coding fix to deal with it will even take this time - not a bug, its by design, not a good design, but a design nevertheless. Nothing to suggest this won't work, but its a code change so not supported
- confusion or even possibly inability to code anti-dazzle back in after update - you're not entitled to this feature as its an unsupported code change. Still, nothing to suggest it won't work with 07/2020? US coders have it working
- various new random unexplained crashes, software instability, and connected drive issues seem to be all over the forum - maybe prudent to wait a few point releases like 07/2020.50+ so they can squash any bugs. The Digital Key implementation seems to be a little messed up so if you depend on that maybe wait. I've used it in 1.0 and 1.5 format and seems to work with my NFC card but the Comfort Access isn't 100% reliable with SA 1.5.

IMO 07/2020.25 improves the cars driving significantly over 03/2020 but it has features I rate.

I know you didn't like aSLA cos it wouldn't let you drive 10 mph over the speed limit. This feature constraint isn't an issue for me, as Id soon get banned from driving here in the UK.
Your points are all valid if the car was ONLY a weekend coding and new assist tech discovery hobby. But I want to enjoy driving it TOO and not be frustrated (and be distracted) by badly designed or buggy tech. As such, the negatives or risks of negatives in 07/2020.xx so far appears to far outweigh the positives, for me. And I consider bad design to be effective bugs — any less would let bad designs and careless designers off the hook.

But that could change with information. Promise (and reality) of much improved auto lane change (that you highlighted) was the major push to get me to 11/2019.xx and it randomly happened to turn out that BMW did fix several of the other unbearable camera bugs in that release (undocumented fixes and fixes to bugs that many here argued were not bugs at all, by the way). Something like that might get me over the edge, but I suspect I am waiting to at least 11/2020.xx

Here is something that would get me over: re-enable forward facing lane tracking assist when towing — absolutely no reason that is turned off and that's what I (and probably everyone) wants on long towing trips. Of course keep blind spot intervention and ALC off, but I can see no safety or tech limit to lane tracking.
      08-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #202
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your points are all valid if the car was ONLY a weekend coding and new assist tech discovery hobby. But I want to enjoy driving it TOO and not be frustrated (and be distracted) by badly designed or buggy tech. As such, the negatives or risks of negatives in 07/2020.xx so far appears to far outweigh the positives, for me. And I consider bad design to be effective bugs — any less would let bad designs and careless designers off the hook.

But that could change with information. Promise (and reality) of much improved auto lane change (that you highlighted) was the major push to get me to 11/2019.xx and it randomly happened to turn out that BMW did fix several of the other unbearable camera bugs in that release (undocumented fixes and fixes to bugs that many here argued were not bugs at all, by the way). Something like that might get me over the edge, but I suspect I am waiting to at least 11/2020.xx

Here is something that would get me over: re-enable forward facing lane tracking assist when towing — absolutely no reason that is turned off and that's what I (and probably everyone) wants on long towing trips. Of course keep blind spot intervention and ALC off, but I can see no safety or tech limit to lane tracking.
A bug produces an unexpected result or unexpected behaviour, bad design doesn't. I don't think that is up for debate - BMW designed the camera this way for US type cars. No idea why, but it's an important and obvious industry standard distinction, as you cannot expect them to fix something they do not consider to be broken. Helps to manage expectations.

Ironically the later i-step releases changed the design of the auto-lane change for EU vehicles and we are stuck with the overly cautious 3 second to start moving system. I've 'fixed' that of course on my vehicle but yes i-step upgrades do change behaviours.

Generally speaking, there are improvements across the cars, but we can't rule out a regional regulatory restriction that might lower the end-user experience.

I agree with the towing SWA comments. Would love to have that enabled with the bikes racked on the towbar/hitch. I'm guessing its not enabled for 2 reasons:
1) the SWA works on the model of car and sets multiple parameters based on known stats, such as width, length, height, etc. With a vehicle in tow, it cannot guarantee the overall width and length of the vehicle and so the SWA may not function correctly.

2) SWA, amongst other systems, actually uses most/all(?) of the sensors/radars on the vehicle including the rear ones. It needs to know whats around the car at all times. With a tow hitched, it's blind at the rear.

I guess this means there is probably not even a coding option to 'fix' it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #203
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
A bug produces an unexpected result or unexpected behaviour, bad design doesn't. I don't think that is up for debate - BMW designed the camera this way for US type cars. No idea why, but it's an important and obvious industry standard distinction, as you cannot expect them to fix something they do not consider to be broken. Helps to manage expectations.
Yes, I am sure you know that I clearly know the technical distinctions, but for some discussions it either doesn't matter or is not my responsibility to keep clear. If BMW actually respected customers that are actively trying to improve their product out of pure love, I would maintain vigorous clarity, but at some point ... "sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice" rule applies. For "simple customers", camera remaining on rear view while maneuvering forward IS absolutely an "unexpected result" — the underlying reason is only academically and technically interesting.

And 3 second delay on ALC!? Why even have the feature in the first place, ludicrous. That's a good example where having such an idiotic implementation does more credibility harm to the designers, engineers, brand, and industry than not having it at all.
      08-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #204
denis_auckland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 GO5

hi everybody, I have an August 2019 built G05 M50d from New Zealand with the 03/2020.58 software that makes a not-nice rattly noise at low revs (has been doing it since I got the car at 50km..now 2,300km). I tried another dealer's M50d (November built) with the 11/2019.70 software update (with 4,400 km) and it doesn't make any rattly noise (and a lot less noise as well to be honest even if mine has the double glazing...).

Does anyone have any experience that software updates can affect the engine noise of the car? does anyone know if it's possible to reverse a software update? or does someone know if the July update is available for the M50d...? thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #205
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_auckland View Post
hi everybody, I have an August 2019 built G05 M50d from New Zealand with the 03/2020.58 software that makes a not-nice rattly noise at low revs (has been doing it since I got the car at 50km..now 2,300km). I tried another dealer's M50d (November built) with the 11/2019.70 software update (with 4,400 km) and it doesn't make any rattly noise (and a lot less noise as well to be honest even if mine has the double glazing...).

Does anyone have any experience that software updates can affect the engine noise of the car? does anyone know if it's possible to reverse a software update? or does someone know if the July update is available for the M50d...? thanks in advance.
I doubt the version of iDrive has anything to do with the engine noise. Have you asked your dealer about the level of noise your engine is making?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #206
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
@ifr,

Hi,

My car came with software v03/2019, but after taking it to dealer to fix rear camera recall, software was updated to v07/2019.

I read your post of release notes with some interest since my car is still on 07/2019. I do not have either the Dangerous Curves feature or Spotify App. Wonder if these were only for Europe??

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #207
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
@ifr,

Hi,

My car came with software v03/2019, but after taking it to dealer to fix rear camera recall, software was updated to v07/2019.

I read your post of release notes with some interest since my car is still on 07/2019. I do not have either the Dangerous Curves feature or Spotify App. Wonder if these were only for Europe??

Thanks
Not all features are made available to all regions and/or all cars. Some are option specific. That said, I don't think either of those 2 are option specific.

Dangerous curve displays a message in HUD/CiC when nav detects one. I guess that will be dependant on the mapping data for the region it is being used on i.e. you may have that feature but there just isn't any mapping data for DC on the roads you use.

Spotify is definitely disabled for some markets e.g. AUSY. Not sure about USA
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      08-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #208
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
@ifr,

Hi,

Thanks
Contrary to what BMW "release notes" apparently state, native iDrive 7 Spotify/Connected Music (in at least US and Canada) require minimum of 11/2019.xx. See https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25788613 and the rest of the thread.

So I still maintain that "BMW is not sufficiently organized to give its customers software release notes", regardless of what they may or may not publish 6-12 months after actual release.
      08-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #209
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Contrary to what BMW "release notes" apparently state, native iDrive 7 Spotify/Connected Music (in at least US and Canada) require minimum of 11/2019.xx. See https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25788613 and the rest of the thread.

So I still maintain that "BMW is not sufficiently organized to give its customers software release notes", regardless of what they may or may not publish 6-12 months after actual release.
These are taken from the UK connected drive portal, and I had Spotify with 07/2019 though it was flaky.

Why don't you check your own CA portal release notes and let's see if there are differences?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #210
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
These are taken from the UK connected drive portal, and I had Spotify with 07/2019 though it was flaky.

Why don't you check your own CA portal release notes and let's see if there are differences?
Well, here is what it says today under Store -> Remote Software Upgrade -> RELEASE NOTES on the CA Connected Drive Customer Portal, verbatim. While Spotify appears under "Release Notes 19-11", it says "19-07" right beside the feature -- how should one interpret that? Clowns.

[SIZE="5"]Release Notes 19-11[/SIZE]
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations, before installation!
  • BMW Connected Music with Spotify® (new function) 19-07
  • BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant Widget (functional enhancement) 19-07
  • BMW Drive Recorder (preparation for in-store purchase) 19-07

BMW Connected Music with Spotify® (new function) 19-07
Listen to your favorite songs, playlists and audiobooks easily on the go and use Spotify via BMW Connected Music, just as you do at home or on your smartphone. Log in using your personal Spotify Premium account information on your vehicle. In addition, you can control the music in the vehicle via Spotify Connect on your logged in smart device.

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant Widget (functional enhancement) 19-07
You now have the chance to learn even more about your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. This functional enhancement allows you display examples of commands that you can give your Personal Assistant. The display is regularly updated in short time intervals. Tap the widget on your BMW control display to go directly to the settings of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. You decide how extensive your widget should be. It is available in two control display sizes and you can activate it in the main menu.

BMW Drive Recorder (preparation for in-store purchase) 19-07
Automatically or manually – the BMW Drive Recorder films your surroundings for up to 40 seconds. This allows you to document critical driving situations in road traffic without the need for further action. The BMW Drive Recorder also allows you to collect wonderful memories of especially beautiful routes at the press of a button. Integrated cameras mean that it is easy to shoot videos.

Note: The Remote Software Upgrade does not include the BMW Drive Recorder as a function as such but allows compatible vehicles access to this function via purchase from the Connected Drive Store.

Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and Release Notes
The new features and functional enhancements in this upgrade are effective only if your vehicle features the specific equipment features. Please refer to your vehicle's Integrated Operating Instructions, contact your Service Partner or the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline for information about your vehicle's equipment specifications.

Functional updates and improved quality
This Remote Software Upgrade updates existing functions to current technical standards and improves the quality.

Information about previous versions
Refer to the ConnectedDrive customer portal for any information about previous Remote Software Upgrade versions.

Updates of the Integrated Operating Instructions in the vehicle
Thanks to this Remote Software Upgrade, the Integrated Operating Instructions in the vehicle will feature the most up-to-date version.

Important information about this upgrade
  • It may take some time to reload ConnectedDrive apps after upgrading.
  • First exit and lock your vehicle after the countdown for the upgrade has elapsed.
  • Some settings may have been reset following the upgrade (e.g. Connected Music or notification settings) and must be reactivated.
  • Reinitialisation may cause occasional control messages to appear on the display during or after an upgrade. Please observe control messages and note whether they are also displayed after having once again taken to the wheel.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for IOS users: when downloading the upgrade with your smartphone, please connect via Bluetooth & WIFI in the Mobile Devices menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WIFI button is greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the Mobile Devices submenu.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles: The installation instructions for the Remote Software Upgrade will only display after around 30-60 minutes after having switched off the engine in order to give the engine the necessary time to cool down. The instructions will only display before the engine is started. Therefore, to install, please wait until you see the installation instructions before you start the engine the next time you get in your vehicle.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for Drive Recorder users: After upgrading, initial settings will be reset and recorded videos will be deleted.
  • The vehicle cannot be used for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the remote software upgrade. Please ensure that you park the vehicle in a safe place and in compliance with road safety regulations, before commencing the upgrade process. BMW strongly recommends parking the vehicle at home or your place of work.
  • Reloading the ConnectedDrive apps after the upgrade can take a certain length of time.
  • Only leave and lock your vehicle once the countdown for the upgrade has expired.
  • Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Connected Music or notification settings), and need to be re-activated.
  • By restarting some vehicle systems, some control messages may appear on the display during or after an upgrade. Please pay attention to the control messages and observe whether they are still shown after the restart.
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS users: when transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via the Bluetooth & WiFi connection in the vehicle in the "Mobile devices" menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of "Mobile devices".
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles: The installation prompt for the Remote Software Upgrade can only be displayed approx. 30-60 minutes after engine switch-off because the engine needs to cool down. The prompt is displayed before engine start. The next time you enter your vehicle, please do the installation before starting the engine and wait until the installation prompt is displayed.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for users of BMW Drive Recorder: The initial settings will be reset and recorded videos deleted after the upgrade.
  • In the unlikely case that the programming fails, the vehicle will not start. In this case, please contact Roadside Assistance, call: 1-800-267-8BMW (8269).

Specific notes for hybrid vehicles
If you perform the Remote Software Upgrade during charging, the charging process will be interrupted and not automatically continued.
Charging and climate control settings can be reset after the Remote Software Upgrade (e.g. charging settings to 6A instead of 16A). Once you have completed the upgrade, re-set your preferences in the relevant menus under Settings.

We are looking forward to hearing your feedback on the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline to help us further improve our Remote Software Upgrade in the future.

[SIZE="5"]Release Notes 19-07[/SIZE]
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations, before installation!
  • Your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is always at your side from now on and will adapt to each situation even better.
  • Prepared for dangerous places – the Dangerous Curve Assistant warns you in advance about dangerous curves.
  • You decide where you park. The Parking Space Assistant will help you find a parking spot faster around your destination.
  • Park easier. The Parking Assistant helps you parallel park.
  • Breaks when backing into a parking space automatically before it is too late. With Active Park Distance Control, obstacles to the rear and at the sides are no longer a problem.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations, before installation!
The vehicle cannot be used for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the remote software upgrade. Make sure you park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations!

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant (additional personalization)
In order to use all of the features of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, you must create a driver profile. Once you log in, you will be able to set your own personal activation word to interact with your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant.

This update allows you to adjust the behavior of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. Depending on who is in the vehicle and where you are going, you can decide how the Assistant behaves. You can choose whether incoming notifications are displayed normally, shown only to you, or hidden completely. You can see which setting is currently active by the notification icon in the in-car status bar.

All services and settings for your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can now be accessed directly in its own menu. Would you like to know what else the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can do? Then check out the new video in the user manual in the vehicle.
*BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant currently supports English Language for launch of this feature.

Navigation improvements (extended function)
The all-new "Fuel Price" map view visualizes fueling options for the customer's needs right on the map. Gas station locations along with their respective fuel prices are displayed. This way, it is possible to explore and choose the optimal gas station based on proximity, brand and price. Additionally, a detailed list of surrounding gas stations can be viewed by selecting "Gas stations search". When selecting "Place to stop", the user can search for further relevant Points of Interest categories.

Parking Space Assistant (new function)
Looking for parking near your destination? The Parking Space Assistant suggests free parking spaces in garages or on the street and guides you along the route with the highest probability of finding a parking spot.

Parking Assistant for parallel parking (extended function)
Parking in parking spaces parallel to the road is made easier for you with this extended function.

Active Park Distance Control (extended function)
When backing into a parking space, this improved feature will help you avoid collisions. There is now an additional brake intervention during the maneuvering process as soon as obstacles appear in the rear or side areas.

Validity of the remote software upgrade and release notes
The new functions and functional enhancements of this upgrade are only applicable if your vehicle is equipped with the necessary equipment. Please refer to your vehicle's Integrated Operating Instructions, contact your Service Partner or the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline for information about your vehicle's equipment specifications.

Function updates and quality enhancements
This Remote Software Upgrade enhances existing functions to meet current technical standards and improves their quality.

You can read information about all the previous versions of the remote software upgrade in the ConnectedDrive customer portal.

Updating the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle
With this remote software upgrade, the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle are updated to include up-to-date information.

Special information about this upgrade
  • Reloading the ConnectedDrive apps after the upgrade can take a certain length of time.
  • Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Interior lighting or notification settings), and need to be reconfigured.
  • By restarting some vehicle systems, some control messages may appear on the display during or after an upgrade. Please pay attention to the control messages and observe whether they are still shown after the restart.
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS users: when transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via Bluetooth & WiFi in the vehicle in the "Mobile devices" menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of "Mobile devices".
We look forward to receiving your feedback on the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline, to help us continually optimize our remote software upgrade.

[SIZE="5"]Release Notes 19-03[/SIZE]
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place before installation
  • BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant* (new function)
  • Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function (enhancements)
  • Parking Assistant (enhancements)
  • Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and release notes
  • Function updates and quality enhancements
  • Information about previous versions
  • Updating the on-board owner's manual in the vehicle
  • Special information about this upgrade
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe area place before installation.
The vehicle will be unusable for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the Remote Software Upgrade. Make sure the vehicle is parked in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations. It will NOT be drivable during the upgrade.

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant (New Function)
The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is your on-board personal assistant. Start by activating the assistant with the command "Hey BMW." You can also name it yourself by simply saying "Hey BMW, change the activation word."
  • This on-board BMW expert can explain the many functions of your car, knows the status of your vehicle, and can adjust numerous settings. Try "Hey BMW, I'm cold."
  • With Connected Command, other passengers in the vehicle can control entertainment, navigation, and climate functions using the BMW
Connected app from their mobile phone (with your authorization).
*BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant currently only supports English language for launch of this feature.

Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function (enhancement)
This cruise system enables you to keep a proper distance from the vehicle in front by constantly monitoring and adapting to its speed. These enhancements allow for more dynamic acceleration of your vehicle after stopping.

Lane Departure Warning with Steering intervention (enhancements)
This function prevents unintentional lane departure by providing steering intervention. This improved version provides a higher level of comfort.

Parking Assistant (enhancements)
Thanks to this functional enhancement, parking in spaces in parallel and perpendicular to the road will become easier, as will leaving parking spaces in parallel to the road.

Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and release notes
You will only be able to use the new functions and enhancements provided by this upgrade if your vehicle is equipped with the appropriate features. You can obtain information regarding the options of your particular vehicle by consulting the on-board owner`s manual in iDrive or by contacting your BMW Service Retailer or the BMW Canada Customer Interaction Centre.

This Remote Software Upgrade updates existing functions to meet the latest state-of-the-art technological standards and includes quality enhancements.

You can read information about all the previous versions of the Remote Software Upgrade in the ConnectedDrive customer portal.

Updating the on-board owner`s manual in the vehicle
With this Remote Software Upgrade, the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle are updated to include up-to-date information.

• In some cases, you may need to re-activate Apple CarPlay. The checkbox can be found under "Mobile Devices" in the "Settings" submenu.
  • Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, interior lighting) and may need to be re-activated.
  • Remote Engine Start could be deactivated after the update. Please activate Remote Engine Start after the installation. The function is located under "Climate Functions" in the "Settings" submenu.

Last edited by LexxM3; 08-12-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #211
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Well, here is what it says today under Store -> Remote Software Upgrade -> RELEASE NOTES on the CA Connected Drive Customer Portal, verbatim. While Spotify appears under "Release Notes 19-11", it says "19-07" right beside the feature -- how should one interpret that? Clowns.

Release Notes 19-11
  • BMW Connected Music with Spotify® (new function) 19-07
  • BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant Widget (functional enhancement) 19-07
  • BMW Drive Recorder (preparation for in-store purchase) 19-07

BMW Connected Music with Spotify® (new function) 19-07
Listen to your favorite songs, playlists and audiobooks easily on the go and use Spotify via BMW Connected Music, just as you do at home or on your smartphone. Log in using your personal Spotify Premium account information on your vehicle. In addition, you can control the music in the vehicle via Spotify Connect on your logged in smart device.

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant Widget (functional enhancement) 19-07
You now have the chance to learn even more about your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. This functional enhancement allows you display examples of commands that you can give your Personal Assistant. The display is regularly updated in short time intervals. Tap the widget on your BMW control display to go directly to the settings of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. You decide how extensive your widget should be. It is available in two control display sizes and you can activate it in the main menu.

BMW Drive Recorder (preparation for in-store purchase) 19-07
Automatically or manually – the BMW Drive Recorder films your surroundings for up to 40 seconds. This allows you to document critical driving situations in road traffic without the need for further action. The BMW Drive Recorder also allows you to collect wonderful memories of especially beautiful routes at the press of a button. Integrated cameras mean that it is easy to shoot videos.

Note: The Remote Software Upgrade does not include the BMW Drive Recorder as a function as such but allows compatible vehicles access to this function via purchase from the Connected Drive Store.

Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and Release Notes
The new features and functional enhancements in this upgrade are effective only if your vehicle features the specific equipment features. Please refer to your vehicle's Integrated Operating Instructions, contact your Service Partner or the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline for information about your vehicle's equipment specifications.

This Remote Software Upgrade updates existing functions to current technical standards and improves the quality.

Refer to the ConnectedDrive customer portal for any information about previous Remote Software Upgrade versions.

Updates of the Integrated Operating Instructions in the vehicle
Thanks to this Remote Software Upgrade, the Integrated Operating Instructions in the vehicle will feature the most up-to-date version.

Important information about this upgrade
  • It may take some time to reload ConnectedDrive apps after upgrading.
  • First exit and lock your vehicle after the countdown for the upgrade has elapsed.
  • Some settings may have been reset following the upgrade (e.g. Connected Music or notification settings) and must be reactivated.
  • Reinitialisation may cause occasional control messages to appear on the display during or after an upgrade. Please observe control messages and note whether they are also displayed after having once again taken to the wheel.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for IOS users: when downloading the upgrade with your smartphone, please connect via Bluetooth & WIFI in the Mobile Devices menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WIFI button is greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the Mobile Devices submenu.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles: The installation instructions for the Remote Software Upgrade will only display after around 30-60 minutes after having switched off the engine in order to give the engine the necessary time to cool down. The instructions will only display before the engine is started. Therefore, to install, please wait until you see the installation instructions before you start the engine the next time you get in your vehicle.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for Drive Recorder users: After upgrading, initial settings will be reset and recorded videos will be deleted.
  • The vehicle cannot be used for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the remote software upgrade. Please ensure that you park the vehicle in a safe place and in compliance with road safety regulations, before commencing the upgrade process. BMW strongly recommends parking the vehicle at home or your place of work.
  • Only leave and lock your vehicle once the countdown for the upgrade has expired.
  • Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Connected Music or notification settings), and need to be re-activated.
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS users: when transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via the Bluetooth & WiFi connection in the vehicle in the "Mobile devices" menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of "Mobile devices".
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles: The installation prompt for the Remote Software Upgrade can only be displayed approx. 30-60 minutes after engine switch-off because the engine needs to cool down. The prompt is displayed before engine start. The next time you enter your vehicle, please do the installation before starting the engine and wait until the installation prompt is displayed.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE for users of BMW Drive Recorder: The initial settings will be reset and recorded videos deleted after the upgrade.
  • In the unlikely case that the programming fails, the vehicle will not start. In this case, please contact Roadside Assistance, call: 1-800-267-8BMW (8269).

Specific notes for hybrid vehicles
If you perform the Remote Software Upgrade during charging, the charging process will be interrupted and not automatically continued.
Charging and climate control settings can be reset after the Remote Software Upgrade (e.g. charging settings to 6A instead of 16A). Once you have completed the upgrade, re-set your preferences in the relevant menus under Settings.

We are looking forward to hearing your feedback on the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline to help us further improve our Remote Software Upgrade in the future.

Release Notes 19-07
  • Your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is always at your side from now on and will adapt to each situation even better.
  • Prepared for dangerous places – the Dangerous Curve Assistant warns you in advance about dangerous curves.
  • You decide where you park. The Parking Space Assistant will help you find a parking spot faster around your destination.
  • Park easier. The Parking Assistant helps you parallel park.
  • Breaks when backing into a parking space automatically before it is too late. With Active Park Distance Control, obstacles to the rear and at the sides are no longer a problem.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations, before installation!
The vehicle cannot be used for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the remote software upgrade. Make sure you park the vehicle in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations!

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant (additional personalization)
In order to use all of the features of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, you must create a driver profile. Once you log in, you will be able to set your own personal activation word to interact with your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant.

This update allows you to adjust the behavior of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. Depending on who is in the vehicle and where you are going, you can decide how the Assistant behaves. You can choose whether incoming notifications are displayed normally, shown only to you, or hidden completely. You can see which setting is currently active by the notification icon in the in-car status bar.

All services and settings for your BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can now be accessed directly in its own menu. Would you like to know what else the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant can do? Then check out the new video in the user manual in the vehicle.
*BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant currently supports English Language for launch of this feature.

Navigation improvements (extended function)
The all-new "Fuel Price" map view visualizes fueling options for the customer's needs right on the map. Gas station locations along with their respective fuel prices are displayed. This way, it is possible to explore and choose the optimal gas station based on proximity, brand and price. Additionally, a detailed list of surrounding gas stations can be viewed by selecting "Gas stations search". When selecting "Place to stop", the user can search for further relevant Points of Interest categories.

Parking Space Assistant (new function)
Looking for parking near your destination? The Parking Space Assistant suggests free parking spaces in garages or on the street and guides you along the route with the highest probability of finding a parking spot.

Parking Assistant for parallel parking (extended function)
Parking in parking spaces parallel to the road is made easier for you with this extended function.

Active Park Distance Control (extended function)
When backing into a parking space, this improved feature will help you avoid collisions. There is now an additional brake intervention during the maneuvering process as soon as obstacles appear in the rear or side areas.

Validity of the remote software upgrade and release notes
The new functions and functional enhancements of this upgrade are only applicable if your vehicle is equipped with the necessary equipment. Please refer to your vehicle's Integrated Operating Instructions, contact your Service Partner or the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline for information about your vehicle's equipment specifications.

Function updates and quality enhancements
This Remote Software Upgrade enhances existing functions to meet current technical standards and improves their quality.

You can read information about all the previous versions of the remote software upgrade in the ConnectedDrive customer portal.

Updating the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle
With this remote software upgrade, the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle are updated to include up-to-date information.

• Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Interior lighting or notification settings), and need to be reconfigured.
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS users: when transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via Bluetooth & WiFi in the vehicle in the "Mobile devices" menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of "Mobile devices".
We look forward to receiving your feedback on the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline, to help us continually optimize our remote software upgrade.

Release Notes 19-03
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe place before installation
  • BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant* (new function)
  • Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function (enhancements)
  • Parking Assistant (enhancements)
  • Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and release notes
  • Function updates and quality enhancements
  • Information about previous versions
  • Updating the on-board owner's manual in the vehicle
  • Special information about this upgrade
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Park the vehicle in a safe area place before installation.
The vehicle will be unusable for approx. 20 minutes during installation of the Remote Software Upgrade. Make sure the vehicle is parked in a safe place, in compliance with road safety regulations. It will NOT be drivable during the upgrade.

BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant (New Function)
The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is your on-board personal assistant. Start by activating the assistant with the command "Hey BMW." You can also name it yourself by simply saying "Hey BMW, change the activation word."
  • This on-board BMW expert can explain the many functions of your car, knows the status of your vehicle, and can adjust numerous settings. Try "Hey BMW, I'm cold."
  • With Connected Command, other passengers in the vehicle can control entertainment, navigation, and climate functions using the BMW
Connected app from their mobile phone (with your authorization).
*BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant currently only supports English language for launch of this feature.

Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function (enhancement)
This cruise system enables you to keep a proper distance from the vehicle in front by constantly monitoring and adapting to its speed. These enhancements allow for more dynamic acceleration of your vehicle after stopping.

Lane Departure Warning with Steering intervention (enhancements)
This function prevents unintentional lane departure by providing steering intervention. This improved version provides a higher level of comfort.

Parking Assistant (enhancements)
Thanks to this functional enhancement, parking in spaces in parallel and perpendicular to the road will become easier, as will leaving parking spaces in parallel to the road.

Validity of the Remote Software Upgrade and release notes
You will only be able to use the new functions and enhancements provided by this upgrade if your vehicle is equipped with the appropriate features. You can obtain information regarding the options of your particular vehicle by consulting the on-board owner`s manual in iDrive or by contacting your BMW Service Retailer or the BMW Canada Customer Interaction Centre.

This Remote Software Upgrade updates existing functions to meet the latest state-of-the-art technological standards and includes quality enhancements.

You can read information about all the previous versions of the Remote Software Upgrade in the ConnectedDrive customer portal.

Updating the on-board owner`s manual in the vehicle
With this Remote Software Upgrade, the on-board operating instructions in the vehicle are updated to include up-to-date information.

• In some cases, you may need to re-activate Apple CarPlay. The checkbox can be found under "Mobile Devices" in the "Settings" submenu.
  • Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, interior lighting) and may need to be re-activated.
  • Remote Engine Start could be deactivated after the update. Please activate Remote Engine Start after the installation. The function is located under "Climate Functions" in the "Settings" submenu.
At least you folks get some usable information. See below for what we get here in the US. Pitiful if you ask me. On top of that garbage the "DOWNLOAD RELEASE NOTES 19-11" takes you to another page that has nothing to do with release notes and there is no option anywhere to download anything. It just takes you to another page titled: "INNOVATION STARTS WITH QUESTIONS. HERE YOU CAN FIND ANSWERS."

Where's the answer for downloading the release notes? Piss Poor web designers and no Quality Control measures put in place to prevent this type of crap!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #212
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

The incomprehensible inability of BMW to hire people capable of producing a useful, informative web site is staggering. The only possible explanation is that BMW, and BMW NA in particular, feel that the more information the public has, the weaker their position as a company becomes, which is, of course, bollocks. Putting tons of technology into vehicles is wonderful; making it difficult or near impossible to find reliable information about that technology is malevolent and hopelessly counterproductive.

What annoys me more than the fact that BMW makes it so difficult to understand what they are doing with their features and software is that I have come to expect it to be this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:32 AM   #213
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused by this as CA have only just started delivering OTA and 07/2019 at that. Why do you have RN for 11/2019?

Maybe that has something to do with the 19-07 references. Very confusing.

However, it's a maturing technology and we have established that:
- There ARE Release Notes
- The RN are customised for different markets
- The service is not fully baked

So the complaints have gone from "There are no OTA updates" to "There are no Release Notes" to "The Release Notes are rubbish".

What will you guys moan about if they nail the RN

Fo the UK market the Release Notes are thorough, clear and 'mostly' accurate. At least in-line with most major software company releases, of which BMW is not.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #214
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm confused by this as CA have only just started delivering OTA and 07/2019 at that. Why do you have RN for 11/2019?

Maybe that has something to do with the 19-07 references. Very confusing.

However, it's a maturing technology and we have established that:
- There ARE Release Notes
- The RN are customised for different markets
- The service is not fully baked

So the complaints have gone from "There are no OTA updates" to "There are no Release Notes" to "The Release Notes are rubbish".

What will you guys moan about if they nail the RN

Fo the UK market the Release Notes are thorough, clear and 'mostly' accurate. At least in-line with most major software company releases, of which BMW is not.
To be sure, the only reported case of OTA update in Canada so far is by Fuzzy Master and is, in fact, 11/2019.70. So if we assume that we only deserve release notes for OTA updates, then they are "up to date" such as they are.

Good release notes first and foremost exist, BMW has possibly reached the 50% mark there. Then they are accurate: 10-25% depending on market. Then they are timely: 0%. Then we get into guru territory and also report bugs fixed and functionalities changed, as well as highlight known unfixed bugs intended to be addressed: well below 0% if such a thing was possible. It's the stuff that builds credibility. BMW notes are fluff, even in the UK version and is utterly pathetic in US right now.

I am not worried, plenty remains to be pissed about.
      08-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #215
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
To be sure, the only reported case of OTA update in Canada so far is by Fuzzy Master and is, in fact, 11/2019.70. So if we assume that we only deserve release notes for OTA updates, then they are "up to date" such as they are.

Good release notes first and foremost exist, BMW has possibly reached the 50% mark there. Then they are accurate: 10-25% depending on market. Then they are timely: 0%. Then we get into guru territory and also report bugs fixed and functionalities changed, as well as highlight known unfixed bugs intended to be addressed: well below 0% if such a thing was possible. It's the stuff that builds credibility. BMW notes are fluff, even in the UK version and is utterly pathetic in US right now.

What's the benchmark? Competitors? Who else offers RSU and how well do they do it?

Tesla? Worst rated brand for reliability in the UK, and we are the home of JLR!

I'm impressed with what BMW have delivered in OTA and tech systems in general. Not perfect by any means, but they are headed in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #216
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

What's the benchmark? Competitors? Who else offers RSU and how well do they do it?

I'm impressed with what BMW have delivered in OTA and tech systems in general. Not perfect by any means, but they are headed in the right direction.
I am not going to be able to answer that question as I don't consumer-test cars or car software for a living and tend to experience one car at a time. I am just commenting on simple, good, organized engineering practice and what I think are reasonable expectations at this level of cost and sophistication. I don't subscribe to the (unfortunately rather common) operating principle that "we don't have to be good, we just have to be not as bad as the rest".
      08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #217
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not going to be able to answer that question as I don't consumer-test cars or car software for a living and tend to experience one car at a time. I am just commenting on simple, good, organized engineering practice and what I think are reasonable expectations at this level of cost and sophistication. I don't subscribe to the (unfortunately rather common) operating principle that "we don't have to be good, we just have to be not as bad as the rest".
It was rhetorical. I know the answers.

I suspect you will be eternally disappointed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #218
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
It was rhetorical. I know the answers.

I suspect you will be eternally disappointed
Fair enough, I am not holding my breath either. But getting back to what I believe started this segment of the perpetual discussion, I think we clearly established that there is zero formally and globally available information about what changed (to better or worse) in 07/2020.xx, as that was one of the underlying reasons I wasn't going to get updated arbitrarily — I still don't know what pile I am going to be stepping in, formally.
      08-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #219
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

So, formally, the rational decision decision for a risk-averse person would be not to install the update if you do not even know what the potential benefits are.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #220
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough, I am not holding my breath either. But getting back to what I believe started this segment of the perpetual discussion, I think we clearly established that there is zero formally and globally available information about what changed (to better or worse) in 07/2020.xx, as that was one of the underlying reasons I wasn't going to get updated arbitrarily — I still don't know what pile I am going to be stepping in, formally.
I can only advise on my own experience which is region and option specific.

Without coding, the only improvement that is relevant to me is DAP. It now tackles bends it never has before.

There is AA, and Apple Maps in hud, but I don't use either.

I've figured out that BMW probably plan on retrofitting Digital Key 1.5. There is an aftermarket FA modification that can be made if you know the right 4 digit code. I've activated it, and updated FASTA, but it's still not active in the CD app. I expect it will spring to life once BMW decide to officially support retrofits.

Navigation is still 'dumb' routing wise compared to Google Maps and TomTom. The menu has been consolidated which is OK but not revolutionary.

With coding, the Traffic Light Recognition is super cool but has a few bugs. Stops very occasionally for green lights. No obvious reason other than it seems to be colour blind. Can't complain as its not released yet.

Emergency Lane you know about.

No undertaking option sucks. Forgot I activated it and couldn't understand why I couldn't get past a middle lane muppet. That's been turned off!

I can't be 100% on how much of the semi-auto driving features are activated via coding, but it's almost a different model car compared with what I bought last year.

Highway exit assistant is buggy, but will be extremely useful when fully ready.

No real issues to report. Everything else seems to work as before.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50