Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Rob_G77 and Marty in NY
I'm referring to recently produced drum and bass and breakbeat. Music specifically made to push club subwoofers. Far more bass than Bela Fleck would have (not a criticism of Bela Fleck) and there's barely anything there.

We have different vehicles so I'm wondering if the amplifier has less power or they've changed the sub set up or both.

I'm playing lossless via CarPlay/Apple Music.
I haven't tried with a usb drive but I can check that tonight.

I remain horribly disappointed in this HK system.
Hmmmm, sorta sounds like something is wrong then but do try to use a USB drive with your lossless music and if still unhappy, give your audio settings one last look over. Now, since you will have your music on a USB drive, it will be easy to plug that into another HK system 2024 X5 at a dealership and compare the results....sorta like an A-B test if you will.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #112
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I've tweaked the eq over and over to no avail.

Will the X5 play FLAC files from a USB drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:19 PM   #113
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I "believe" it will though have not done so myself
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #114
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'm playing lossless via CarPlay/Apple Music.
I haven't tried with a usb drive but I can check that tonight.

I remain horribly disappointed in this HK system.
That likely is part of it from what folks have reported. You will probably see/hear better results when playing from a USB.
      12-14-2023, 04:32 PM   #115
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That likely is part of it from what folks have reported. You will probably see/hear better results when playing from a USB.
My old vehicle sounded better over bluetooth than this does over wifi.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #116
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My old vehicle sounded better over bluetooth than this does over wifi.
Any airborne transmission of data is compressed. There are factors involved in just how much compression is used and how much fidelity is lost. If you want to compare anything, it needs to be as direct from source to player as possible. This can be done via a USB drive, SSD drive, etc. Many people complain about the quality of sound from Satellite radio, like SiriusXM, that too is compressed transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #117
crackerjack15
Major
Rep

Quote:

Yes. I listen to flac files via usb.
Appreciate 1
mscot199.00
      12-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #118
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Any airborne transmission of data is compressed. There are factors involved in just how much compression is used and how much fidelity is lost. If you want to compare anything, it needs to be as direct from source to player as possible. This can be done via a USB drive, SSD drive, etc. Many people complain about the quality of sound from Satellite radio, like SiriusXM, that too is compressed transmission.
I get that. Bluetooth is far more compressed than WiFi though. This is the entire logic behind using Sonos/Airplay at home instead of bluetooth speakers.
So I was just using that as a reference point in that in my old vehicle I typically used Bluetooth and it sounded far better than this does with CarPlay over WiFi.

I just did a test with FLAC files on a USB drive and went back and forth with the same tracks with USB vs @Music/CarPlay.
The bass response is about the same. The overall sound is slightly more detailed but the main difference is you have to increase the volume by about 30% when using CarPlay. That's annoying.

This isn't a problem with the audio source. It's a problem with the sound system and either an amp that isn't powerful enough or low quality speakers (or both).

And before you disagree with me more, keep in mind that we don't have the same vehicle so we don't know what changed in the 3 years and specifically with the LCI. We also seem to have very different expectations from audio. Even listening to pop music I wouldn't turn the 5k and 10k levels anywhere close to that high.

So I'm returning to my question in a prior post about the sensitivity and impedance ratings of the subs, but at this point I really think both the subs and the amplifier going to them will have to be replaced.

Last edited by mscot; 12-14-2023 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 06:15 PM   #119
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get that. Bluetooth is far more compressed than WiFi though. This is the entire logic behind using Sonos/Airplay at home instead of bluetooth speakers.
So I was just using that as a reference point in that in my old vehicle I typically used Bluetooth and it sounded far better than this does with CarPlay over WiFi.

I just did a test with FLAC files on a USB drive and went back and forth with the same tracks with USB vs @Music/CarPlay.
The bass response is about the same. The overall sound is slightly more detailed but the main difference is you have to increase the volume by about 30% when using CarPlay. That's annoying.

This isn't a problem with the audio source. It's a problem with the sound system.

And before you disagree with me more, keep in mind that we don't have the same vehicle so we don't know what changed in the 3 years and specifically with the LCI. We also seem to have very different expectations from audio. Even listening to pop music I wouldn't turn the 5k and 10k levels anywhere close to that high.
Then I would take your USB drive to a dealer where you can get your hands on another car the same year as yours with the HK. Set up the system to match your settings and do the A-B test. Hopefully it points to something wrong with yours and your dealer can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #120
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then I would take your USB drive to a dealer where you can get your hands on another car the same year as yours with the HK. Set up the system to match your settings and do the A-B test. Hopefully it points to something wrong with yours and your dealer can fix it.
I'll likely do that the next time I'm in that area (it's not frequent).
I'm also curious to hear what someone with an LCI and B&W system has to say about the bass.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #121
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

I went to the dealer yesterday and sat in a new X5 with HK.
It's definitely just how the current HK system sounds. Very little bass response.

I guess I'll start reaching out to some of the audio providers to discuss it with them. I see that neither Bimmertech nor Bavsound lists the 2024 G05 with HK in their drop down. Anyone know why?

I'm wary about simply replacing the subs. I dont think they're getting enough power. Also, I can't imagine that enclosure has much room beyond the cage of the sub so that's likely a problem as well.

Last edited by mscot; 12-19-2023 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:05 AM   #122
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went to the dealer yesterday and sat in a new X5 with HK.
It's definitely just how the current HK system sounds. Very little bass response.

I guess I'll start reaching out to some of the audio providers to discuss it with them. I see that neither Bimmertech nor Bavsound lists the 2024 G05 with HK in their drop down. Anyone know why?

I'm wary about simply replacing the subs. I dont think they're getting enough power. Also, I can't imagine that enclosure has much room beyond the cage of the sub so that's likely a problem as well.
Disappointing to hear the results :-( Changing to a more efficient subwoofer will allow it move further with the same amp but still may not meet your desires. Best to find what others have done in this regard so you don't run into the issue of other car features refusing to work. Looks like the days of simple speaker/amp swaps are behind us
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:45 PM   #123
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

hmbmd116 have you replaced the subs without adding an amp in all of your trials? Did that help?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #124
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

hmbmd116 have you replaced the subs without adding an amp in all of your trials? Did that help?

Yes, the Bavsound Subs remain in my car. They certainly sound better than stock with the HK amplifier in it. You can clearly hear the difference. It sounds much better being amplified. I’m still trying to get the Bimmer Tech amp to work without bricking the microphone and assisted driving feature and my new harness should be arriving later this week. What I have been doing in the interim when taking long trips is to disconnect the ram unit from the amplifier, but keep the booster which drives the subs. I maintain, assisted driving, and the driver side microphone yet get better amplification to the subs. It’s a bit unbalanced and I have to turn down the bass with the iDrive screen, but it definitely sounds better than not having the amplifier connected at all. I’m really hoping that this new harness fixes the issue. When the Bimmer Tech amp is fully connected, the sound system is at its best. In my opinion, it sounds better than BMW’s that have Bowers and Wilkins installed. I’ll report back as soon as I get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #125
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Here are the settings I'm happy with. Hearing sounds is a very individual thing but to the point of mscot's post, I believe the HK system is capable of producing the bass he/she is looking for given the right source and audio settings. Unless the subs or amplifier sub out are defective.

My settings are very similar. I turned off the logic pro surround and I think maybe it sounds better without it.

For anyone else, don't turn up the bass by much because that just makes it instantly muddy. Turn it up just a very little amount - or leave it centered. Then adjust the sliders as shown in this thread.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #126
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

SUCCESS!!

I am happy to report that I received my new harness today and all issues are now resolved! The driver's microphone and full assisted driving works with both the RAM unit and Booster connected to the amp. The system sounds great! I recommend it highly! The customer support from Bimmertech has been exceptional. Anyone dissatisfied with the Harman Kardon stereo should absolutely consider this amp. It is expensive but still half the price of the Bowers and Wilkins system (not available of all X5 models). In my opinion it sounds better than Bowers and Wilkins.
Appreciate 3
      12-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #127
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd116 View Post
I am happy to report that I received my new harness today and all issues are now resolved! The driver's microphone and full assisted driving works with both the RAM unit and Booster connected to the amp. The system sounds great! I recommend it highly! The customer support from Bimmertech has been exceptional. Anyone dissatisfied with the Harman Kardon stereo should absolutely consider this amp. It is expensive but still half the price of the Bowers and Wilkins system (not available of all X5 models). In my opinion it sounds better than Bowers and Wilkins.
Thanks for the post to let us all know there is a solution. So, in the end, what is the fix, just finding the right resistance to add to each circuit? No other components, just resistors?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 02:17 PM   #128
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the post to let us all know there is a solution. So, in the end, what is the fix, just finding the right resistance to add to each circuit? No other components, just resistors?
Here are two pictures of the new harness. Notice all the resistors that were inserted near the amp inputs. These will give the BMW computer the correct impedance levels and allow the assisted driving to function. As far as the driver's microphone was concerned, they think there might have been cross wiring on the original harness and was unrelated to the speaker impedance. The microphone works now so I am guessing that is what the issue was.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
      12-21-2023, 05:20 PM   #129
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
You replaced only the amp, not the speakers?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:42 PM   #130
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
You replaced only the amp, not the speakers?

Rob
I first replaced all the speakers and subs with Bavsound products. This caused the assisted driving problem. I removed the speakers but left the Bavsound subs in place under the front seats. The assisted driving worked with this setup. So now I have the bimmertech amp with 14 stock Harman Kardon speakers and 2 Bavsound subs.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 06:27 PM   #131
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
I first replaced all the speakers and subs with Bavsound products. This caused the assisted driving problem. I removed the speakers but left the Bavsound subs in place under the front seats. The assisted driving worked with this setup. So now I have the bimmertech amp with 14 stock Harman Kardon speakers and 2 Bavsound subs.
So are you going to reinstall the other bavsound speakers?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 07:24 PM   #132
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
So are you going to reinstall the other bavsound speakers?
I returned them early on for a full refund. I may try Bimmertech Alpha One Speakers for the 2 front doors and center speaker (3 midrange and 3 tweeters). I would think the BMW computer now reads impedance from the resistors installed in the harness. I have an email pending to them. It sounds really good right now so maybe I should leave well enough alone, however, I like to tinker and probably after the holidays I'll try it. In the meantime I have a 350 mile trip coming up right after Christmas and I am excited about finally being able to use it for a long trip with assisted driving!!
Appreciate 0