BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Tire choices

Do we get a choice of tire options when ordering? Being in Florida, my F15 came with Pirelli summer performance RFTs. However I will be spending time in the North East in the coming years with the X5 and would like to have all season when I get the G06. Is that an option or does BMW make that choice based on where the car is being delivered to?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Do we get a choice of tire options when ordering? Being in Florida, my F15 came with Pirelli summer performance RFTs. However I will be spending time in the North East in the coming years with the X5 and would like to have all season when I get the G06. Is that an option or does BMW make that choice based on where the car is being delivered to?
Tires are selected based off your wheel selection. Some wheels come with all seasons and some come with performance. On top of that, some are run-flats and some are non run-flats. This is all shown to you when you build the car online under the Wheels section.

In addition to that, the actual tire you get (Pirelli vs Continental) is decided by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Tires are selected based off your wheel selection. Some wheels come with all seasons and some come with performance. On top of that, some are run-flats and some are non run-flats. This is all shown to you when you build the car online under the Wheels section.

In addition to that, the actual tire you get (Pirelli vs Continental) is decided by BMW.
I'm thinking of getting the M-Sport with 21" wheels. The tires are listed as performance RFTs, doesn't specifically say summer or all-season. For example the DWS are an all-season performance tire. I'm curious if anyone ordering that wheel option in the North East this time of the year will get summer or all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the M-Sport with 21" wheels. The tires are listed as performance RFTs, doesn't specifically say summer or all-season. For example the DWS are an all-season performance tire. I'm curious if anyone ordering that wheel option in the North East this time of the year will get summer or all-seasons.
Performance tires are "Summer" tires. All All-Season tires are noted as such.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Whitebb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
North east will have more than 6months of avg temp below 40F, where it hits the lower limit of summer performance tire. Hence it would be much safer to get All Season tires. Currently Verde is only option for 21s but sizing down will get you more options. I currently have 741M 295/35/21 and 265/40/21 without compromising the radius of the tire. It feels great and did not had any issue of traction going at 140mph. Check out my post about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebb View Post
North east will have more than 6months of avg temp below 40F, where it hits the lower limit of summer performance tire. Hence it would be much safer to get All Season tires. Currently Verde is only option for 21s but sizing down will get you more options. I currently have 741M 295/35/21 and 265/40/21 without compromising the radius of the tire. It feels great and did not had any issue of traction going at 140mph. Check out my post about it.
It seems like there is no factory option for all-seasons for the 21s. I don't mind non-RFT so hopefully that will expand my options.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebb View Post
It seems like there is no factory option for all-seasons for the 21s. I don't mind non-RFT so hopefully that will expand my options.
It's unfortunate that there is no factory option for 21" A/S, despite offering 21" A/S on X7, or I would have upgraded.

Ended up settling for the 20" as I don't have enough garage space to store tires or winter wheel sets.

Appreciate 1
mad_max101.50