BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
ChickinX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 40i xLine

Auto lock with door open and no warning.

Hi,

With so many advanced features I thought my car will let me know if I did not close the door, for the car to lock it. Last night in rush I thought I closed the door and by the time I returned my door was open. Obviously the car did not lock. Did not pay attention with kids talking and wife rambling. Should the connected drive warn me while I am in the shop ? via notification or something ?

Any setting I am missing ?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

While you can check the status in the app, it does not send a message saying the vehicle is unlocked, nor does it warn you if the windows are open or the panoramic one is, either.

There is an iDrive setting that will automatically lock up when the fob gets out of range, if you select it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
While you can check the status in the app, it does not send a message saying the vehicle is unlocked, nor does it warn you if the windows are open or the panoramic one is, either.

There is an iDrive setting that will automatically lock up when the fob gets out of range, if you select it.
I have that setting selected, but it still doesn't lock the vehicle after my fob is out of range. that's happened infrequently at the grocery store or in my garage. does it work consistently for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I don't use that function and lock the vehicle by touching the handle's comfort lock area. But, if I didn't have comfort access, I might.

In the home, depending on where the garage is, you might not be out of range. That would likely be harder to do while out grocery shopping.

If it doesn't reliably do its thing, you may need to have BMW look at it. I did not see that it said at what range the lock/unlock occurs, and have no experience, since I don't use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I have that setting selected, but it still doesn't lock the vehicle after my fob is out of range. that's happened infrequently at the grocery store or in my garage. does it work consistently for you?
You might want to look into that... this feature is one of my fav's. Works great never had an issue with it locking. The unlock from time to time if sitting for awhile doesn't work until I touch the handle but after a good run its back to normal.

To the OP. No notifications but I believe you can set it to chime at you when doors are open... I think.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
ChickinX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 40i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
You might want to look into that... this feature is one of my fav's. Works great never had an issue with it locking. The unlock from time to time if sitting for awhile doesn't work until I touch the handle but after a good run its back to normal.

To the OP. No notifications but I believe you can set it to chime at you when doors are open... I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:

Thank you. I will look at that setting. As you said, auto lock is favorite feature. Works perfectly, when all doors are closed.

I remember one notification from connected app about something wrong with way I left the car. I know I am being vague, can't remember what it is.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4506.00
      01-27-2024, 01:07 PM   #7
buitenlander
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Does anyone have an update on this? I had the same situation today and would love to get notified by the car if that happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:30 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buitenlander View Post
Does anyone have an update on this? I had the same situation today and would love to get notified by the car if that happens.
no, you must look on the app or at the vehicle itself to confirm its status. the vehicle has no setting to automatically warn or chime that you've left it unlocked or left a door open.
Appreciate 0